Developer Edition Updated

Search This thread

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
All you have to do after download is pull it outta the ota and flash it as you would any other firmware

guyd

Feb 12, 2011
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
All you have to do after download is pull it outta the ota and flash it as you would any other firmware

That's what I thought too, but now i'm hard bricked!!! :crying:

I used fastboot oem rebootRUU and then fastboot flash zip firmware.zip

I updated the firmware in my M7 a few times using this method without incident, but my M8 is now dead...

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
what was your cid? this was only for developer builds I redid my device twice with it...flashed a complete nand back up and then this ota through stock recovery... did you do the firmware upgrade to 1.54 euro? or any other firmware related flashes?

1 fastboot oem writecid BS_US001
2 fastboot oem readcid
3 fastboot reboot-bootloader
4 fastboot oem rebootRUU
5 fastboot flash zip nameofzip.zip
6 fastboot reboot-bootloader

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
That's what I thought too, but now i'm hard bricked!!! :crying:

I used fastboot oem rebootRUU and then fastboot flash zip firmware.zip

I updated the firmware in my M7 a few times using this method without incident, but my M8 is now dead...

Are you not super cid? When you say hard bricked what is your m8 doing now? Can you get to bootloader. You can't even flash unless you are soff or have true developer edition phone so I would assume you made your phone super cid too?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

guyd

Feb 12, 2011
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
what was your cid? this was only for developer builds I redid my device twice with it...flashed a complete nand back up and then this ota through stock recovery... did you do the firmware upgrade to 1.54 euro? or any other firmware related flashes?

1 fastboot oem writecid BS_US001
2 fastboot oem readcid
3 fastboot reboot-bootloader
4 fastboot oem rebootRUU
5 fastboot flash zip nameofzip.zip
6 fastboot reboot-bootloader

CID was BS_US002 on a Developer Edition. No firmware upgrades, it was original!!!

I was S-OFF with custom ROM, custom Kernel, and custom Recovery. That's it.

I removed the boot.img and recovery.img out of the zip prior to flashing.
The flash process appeared to work, and nearly all pieces installed successfully.
But after I issued a fastboot reboot, it was dead! No screen, no led, no nothing.

Computer doesn't see it as a device, thus adb or fastboot no longer work.
My first hard brick ever, and I hope my last!

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
CID was BS_US002 on a Developer Edition. No firmware upgrades, it was original!!!

The flash process appeared to work, and nearly all pieces installed successfully.
But after I issued a fastboot reboot, it was dead! No screen, no led, no nothing.

Hate to hear that. I'm sure you have already tried this but just in case you haven't. Vol up and power for 10 sec then immediately vol down and power for 5 seconds. Even if you don't see bootloader try fastboot command. Try with and without phone plugged in.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Well sorry to hear this,probably reason it borked your device is it needs the stock recovery i think to finish flashing,didnt look at it@scriptong but that would be my guess...I always flash stock recovery before flashing an ruu or firmware zip.

guyd

Feb 12, 2011
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hate to hear that. I'm sure you have already tried this but just in case you haven't. Vol up and power for 10 sec then immediately vol down and power for 5 seconds. Even if you don't see bootloader try fastboot command. Try with and without phone plugged in

Tried those like fifty times! My device is is bricked harder than a diamond...

Wish I knew what exactly happened so I don't do it again. As I said in my previous post, I've done this same thing on my M7 several times without a hitch. Only difference I saw this time was that the RUU flash routine didn't stop after flashing the hboot like it did on my M7 and make me run it one more time to get the rest of the firmware flashed. To be sure I got it all, I flashed it a second time anyway. That was the only difference I saw!

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Well sorry to hear this,probably reason it borked your device is it needs the stock recovery i think to finish flashing,didnt look at it@scriptong but that would be my guess...I always flash stock recovery before flashing an ruu or firmware zip.

I've ran the RUU flash command on my M7 with a custom recovery several times without incident. Didn't see why it would be any different on the M8, but something is. Wish I would have had an MD5 to verify my download, but it extracted fine so I think it was good.

Only one thing I found that was different from the M7 to the M8.

In the M7 it used hbootpreupdate:3
In the M8 it used hbootpreupdate:12

Wish I knew what this does different.

Last edited:

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
how did you remove the boot and recovery out of zip? Mine says corrupted when i try to unzip which usually means its encrypted. If you just manually zipped it back up that could be the problem. I don't know what happened and am interested to figure out. At least it is just dead and htc should swap it out no problem.

skhullar

Apr 9, 2014
I'm curious. Sorry if this a silly question, I'm still new to all of this...

Wonders_Never_Cease, So I should flash back to the recoverydevm8.img you provided previously in the A_T_T_Test_1_12_1540_17_ISIS ROM you created first?

Thanks.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Safest way I would suggest is do a restore of a nand backup to completely stock developer build including recovery(1.12.1540.17) and then flash this via stock recovery if you havent gotten the notification after you revert to everything stock...You do not need to relock bootloader if s-off'd...as long as everything else is stock itll flash just fine...Hope this answered your questions about flashing this file.

Wonders_Never_Cease, So I should flash back to the recoverydevm8.img you provided previously in the A_T_T_Test_1_12_1540_17_ISIS ROM you created first?

Thanks.

Reactions: skhullar

skhullar

Apr 9, 2014
Thanks for the guidance.

Lets say a newbie, in his infinite wisdom excitedly rushed to apply a great ROM and failed to create a nand backup of his stock setup... Where would such a bonehead be able to get his hands on a complete nand backup of the stock developer build?

Safest way I would suggest is do a restore of a nand backup to completely stock developer build including recovery(1.12.1540.17) and then flash this via stock recovery if you havent gotten the notification after you revert to everything stock...You do not need to relock bootloader if s-off'd...as long as everything else is stock itll flash just fine...Hope this answered your questions about flashing this file.

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks.

I would suggest you make your phone super cid before you do any flashing.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Ill send you a link in the a.m.,lol

Thanks for the guidance.

Lets say a newbie, in his infinite wisdom excitedly rushed to apply a great ROM and failed to create a nand backup of his stock setup... Where would such a bonehead be able to get his hands on a complete nand backup of the stock developer build?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Software version 1.54.1540.9 w/Extreme Power Saving... Uploading ota now for folks who need or want it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5-C2BrwNVxdjY2WVVsdXBIUzA/edit?usp=sharing
    I just "converted" my AT&T M8 to a full Dev Edition M8. Here are the steps I followed (these are actually my own notes that I followed.)

assumes unlocked bootloader, S-Off.

1. Change to a TWRP recovery... and do a TWRP backup (to internal sd card) (The backup isn't really needed, but this step ensures that the proper directory is created and is a good step for paranoia)

2. Use this thread to download for the BS_US002 (1.12.1540.17) TWRP nandroid and stock recovery: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376 (by getting the 1.12 and not 1.54 - I was able to test getting an OTA)

3. Boot your phone normally.

4. Unpack the TWRP nandroid and place the folder into the proper directory on your phone's sdcard (TWRP/Backups/SERIAL_NUMBER/)

5. reboot into fastboot mode.

6. change CID to BS_US002: fastboot oem writecid BS_US002

6. reboot the phone and get back to TWRP recovery

7. Restore the kernel (boot) partition from step 4. (not the kernel/boot from step 1)

8. Use TWRP to "factory wipe" the device. Do NOT wipe the "internal" storage. Only wipe the data/cache/dalvik cache partitions.

9. Use TWRP to do a full restore from the backup directory created in step 4. (Honestly, you could probably just do the full restore in step 7 and then skip this step.)

10. Reboot the system. (Do NOT accept any OTA's) After the phone comes back up, reboot to fastboot mode.

11. In fastboot, flash the proper STOCK recovery (from step 2): fastboot flash recovery filename.img

12. Probably not needed, but while in fastboot go ahead and run this: fastboot erase cache

13. Reboot from fastboot to the normal system. You can now accept OTA's and they should work.

Some more notes: This worked for me... it might work for you, or it might not. If you don't enjoy restoring phone partitions by hand, I'd suggest NOT doing this.

After performing these steps, you'll lose AT&T's fancy visual voice mail. After I did all this, I'm leaving my recovery as "stock" for now. I did need to boot into recovery to install superSU... this is easily accomplished using fastboot's "boot" parameter to boot to a recovery image that's not actually installed on the phone.

Oh, and thanks to @Wonders_Never_Cease for the PM's putting my fears to rest...

Take care
    Gary

Thanks.
    surely is...you have an att variant telephone?

So no definite way to convert to Dev Edition then I'm guessing, right?
    surely is...you have an att variant telephone?

Do you know if the "brick" guy ever was able to recover? Just curious if I should be looking at a de-brick solution for him.