pre4.jpg

pre5.jpg

2010-10-15171123-1.jpg

2010-10-15171000-1.jpg

2010-10-15171037.jpg

2010-10-15170811.jpg

2010-10-15170841.jpg

epiccharging.jpg

I sanded down the the back cover so the inductive coil and magnets would fit and drilled a hole for the wires because if they come out at one of the antenna holes the back cover doesnt come on all the way.

Last edited:

protocol6v

Nov 6, 2009
Just use the ground and 5v lines from the USB port. The touchstone back outputs 5v. I did this on my evo, and am looking to do it on my epic now also. google for a mcro USB pinout and figure out which pins are what. I know that the far left and right pins are negative and 5v, but i dont remember which is which.

austin420

Jan 8, 2009
kansas city mo
the touchstone is a palm device paired with a palmpre to wirelessly charge your phone. it uses a series of coils and magnets to hold the phone on to a charging base that plugs in to the wall. this mod basically allows you to do the same with any other phone give you have the base and matching battery cover from a palm pre. you just remove the induction plate from the back cover of your phone and attach it to the new phone as best you can. the best mod ive seen is to a touch pro 2.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1897496&postcount=12

bonkasnucca

Feb 1, 2008
okay so its not really wireless u still have to keep it stuck on this pad...right???..ahem...so wuts the difference whether u plug in a usb or place it on this pad ur still attached to the wall...sorry i dont get it

d94

Mar 27, 2008
MI
Just use the ground and 5v lines from the USB port. The touchstone back outputs 5v. I did this on my evo, and am looking to do it on my epic now also. google for a mcro USB pinout and figure out which pins are what. I know that the far left and right pins are negative and 5v, but i dont remember which is which.

can you please take pics when you do it..i googled but couldnt find it out
fcc info = https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...me=N&application_id=566932&fcc_id='A3LSPHD700'

Last edited:

Roisen

Aug 6, 2010

It would be safer to plug your phone in and use a multi-meter to find +5 and ground. It looks like the USB port has 8 or 9 pins coming out of it, and standard USB only has 4.

After that, simply find the +5 and ground on the touchstone coil and run a couple of wires to the USB pins

Edit: It looks like the second pin from the left is the +5, but It's hard to tell just looking at the picture. I'm making this guess based on following the trace that it's connected to.

I have a touchstone as well, so I will definitely be watching this thread :D

Last edited:

bubby323

Jul 31, 2010
Michigan City, IN
This is all too complicated for the end user, maybe somebody should just reproduce this in like a battery pack. I would be willing to pay 20 or more for a mod like this. Just saying...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Roisen

Aug 6, 2010
i think the touchstone and aftermarket battery cover cost at least 70 dollars alone.

The technology behind it is dead simple though. It would be trivial to introduce something like this built into a battery pack. IIRC, the voltage on the receiving coil is Vr = Vs * (Cs / Cr), where Vr is the voltage on the receiving coil, Vs is the voltage on the sending coil (the touchstone base) and Cs and Cr are the number of loops in the source and receiving coils.

Therefore it would be easy to make a coil that grabbed 3.6V from the 5V touchstone and fed it directly into the battery. The only problem is that the coil plus voltage protection circuitry inside of the battery would reduce the amount of space that you could actually use for the battery. Considering how small batteries in cell phones already are, even making them a sliver thinner to fit the coil inside of the battery pack would mean a drastic drop in battery capacity.

To the OP: did you have to break any stickers to pull the circuit board out?

Last edited:

d94

Mar 27, 2008
MI
The technology behind it is dead simple though. It would be trivial to introduce something like this built into a battery pack. IIRC, the voltage on the receiving coil is Vr = Vs * (Cs / Cr), where Vr is the voltage on the receiving coil, Vs is the voltage on the sending coil (the touchstone base) and Cs and Cr are the number of loops in the source and receiving coils.

Therefore it would be easy to make a coil that grabbed 3.6V from the 5V touchstone and fed it directly into the battery. The only problem is that the coil plus voltage protection circuitry inside of the battery would reduce the amount of space that you could actually use for the battery. Considering how small batteries in cell phones already are, even making them a sliver thinner to fit the coil inside of the battery pack would mean a drastic drop in battery capacity.

To the OP: did you have to break any stickers to pull the circuit board out?

the pics were taken from the fcc website, although there are no stickers!

icantdrawanime

Jun 14, 2010
The compass should work fine. The metal disks on the palm back cover are not magnetic. I believe they're just iron disks...

Kcarpenter

Nov 24, 2009
Clinton, TN
The compass should work fine. The metal disks on the palm back cover are not magnetic. I believe they're just iron disks...

Still the strong magnetic pull from the touchstone base to keep it attached will make the compass act wonky.

I had a leather case for my hero that used a magnet to close the flap and i would have to mess with the compass for like 15 minutes to ever get it to point right again.

Top Liked Posts