GLBenchmark HTC ONE only 34 FPS @ Egypt HD 1080P Offscreen

Search This thread

irzero

Aug 2, 2012
honestly who needs 7fps in a benchmark on a phone?

Games that work on a mobile phone will work fine. Im pretty sure fast enough applies here.

i9100g user

Dec 18, 2011
honestly who needs 7fps in a benchmark on a phone?

Games that work on a mobile phone will work fine. Im pretty sure fast enough applies here.

Right those 7fps won't make much of a difference(for running games at present) but the throttling part should be the thing to look out for , which would be more important for running heavy games smoothly for longer time and maybe ram would make some difference too:confused:

Phone looks great though.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
7fps in this test reflects a much bigger difference in actually games, this a very hard test, in fact there no mobile device yet able to achieve 60fps on it

I'm still confident the tests we have are not clean since even the second video they run gl bench after full benchs like quadrant (not a good way to run the test at all, since hesvy heat will cause a throttle)

For everyone making jokes, this an area of concern for those who like to play high end 3d games on their phone like modern combat 4 and need for speed most wanted, and for those who feel its not so awesome when a 2013 super expensive android flagship can not match 2012 iDevices or that we are not getting the optimal snapdragon 600 GPU speed

If it doesn't concern you please leave your opinion to yourselves

Last edited:

irzero

Aug 2, 2012
7fps in this test reflects a much bigger difference in actually games, this a very hard test, in fact there no mobile device yet able to achieve 60fps on it

I'm still confident the tests we have are not clean since even the second video they run gl bench after full benchs like quadrant (not a good way to run the test at all, since hesvy heat will cause a throttle)

For everyone making jokes, this an area of concern for those who like to play high end 3d games on their phone like modern combat 4 and need for speed most wanted, and for those who feel its not so awesome when a 2013 super expensive android flagship can not match 2012 iDevices or that we are not getting the optimal snapdragon 600 GPU speed

If it doesn't concern you please leave your opinion to yourselves

The reason they cant compete with iPhone is that iPhone uses PowerVR and everyone else doesnt. PowerVR GPU is way better than anyone elses.

If the S4 uses a higher clocked CPU and DDR3 then it may have an advantage over the ONE. The reason Samsung will do this is because their flagship CPU is going to be AWOL. They knew the HTC would be configured this way and this is the only way samsung can now 1up HTC since they are going LCD and S4 600 CPU.

Samsung will have removable batteries so they can afford to trade power usage for higher clocks. Also the plastic back of the phone will likely allow better thermals than the alum back of the HTC. This could have affected how hot they wanted the cpu/gpu to be running under full load.

shox22

May 12, 2010
I was trying to get some more information about the 3d power of the htc one. So i was thinking about the antutu 3d mark score. I dont know how viable these result are, but here are some:

Htc one: 8271/8432
Butterfly: 6671
Xperia Z: 7397/7314
Droid DNA: 5870

Also interesting could be the Ram results:
Htc one: 4189/4194
Butterfly: 3441
Xperia Z: 3158
Droid DNA: 3338

If Phonesare is correct, the dna/butterfly uses ddr2 533mhz ram.

Reactions: hamdir

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
I was trying to get some more information about the 3d power of the htc one. So i was thinking about the antutu 3d mark score. I dont know how viable these result are, but here are some:

Interesting and they simply add to the mystery, much higher 3D than the DNA/butterfly, but she's good Sony is milking the s4pro

RAM seems faster but not high enough so it could only be the improvements in the raised Krait 300

Finally antutu numbers are not very accurate I'm afraid

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlosCalderon

matheus_sc

Mar 27, 2011
Barretos-SP

but cpu affects ram results i think

Jubei1

Feb 17, 2013
While lpddr3 is a possibility for the difference in performance, it should be mentioned the Samsung device is on Android 4.2.1

Thats the latest Qualcomm drivers

shox22

May 12, 2010
While lpddr3 is a possibility for the difference in performance, it should be mentioned the Samsung device is on Android 4.2.1

Thats the latest Qualcomm drivers

7 (or lets say 5 fps for the lower clock speed) would be a very high gain with a new driver version. But nothing is impossible. If just an old driver is the problem, that would be the best for us.

Jubei1

Feb 17, 2013
7 (or lets say 5 fps for the lower clock speed) would be a very high gain with a new driver version. But nothing is impossible. If just an old driver is the problem, that would be the best for us.

ARM Mali 400MP4 got a 40% boost going from 2.3.7 to 4.0

This is Qualcomms first unified architecture and mature drivers can add a lot. Im not guaranteeing this is the case but there is zero evidence of lpddr3 for Samsung device, but we do know the Samsung device is running a later version of Android

Turbotab

May 2, 2011
ARM Mali 400MP4 got a 40% boost going from 2.3.7 to 4.0

This is Qualcomms first unified architecture and mature drivers can add a lot. Im not guaranteeing this is the case but there is zero evidence of lpddr3 for Samsung device, but we do know the Samsung device is running a later version of Android

No performance gain, on my Nexus 7 from 4.1.2 to 4.2.1 > 4.2.2, but drivers could definitely be an issue.

Jubei1

Feb 17, 2013
No performance gain, on my Nexus 7 from 4.1.2 to 4.2.1 > 4.2.2, but drivers could definitely be an issue.

Well your Nexus 7 is running on a Tegra 3. If i had to guess Nvidia had mature drivers in place already

Nexus 4 is running 4.2.1 (2) but even there its actually older drivers compared to the upcoming OEM versions

strip419

Jul 18, 2012
THIS PLANET
What the heck is wrong with you guys. I am a gamer but u guys make soo much noise about how bad the gpu of the one will be, I wonder if you gonna be playing CALL OF DUTY on it, I still have my desire Z with andreno 205 and believe it or not it plays need for speed most wanted with no problem(slightly overclocked). the ONE will do just fine boys, DON'T WORRY. the benchmark is a very difficult one for most mobile devices to hit 60fps, so 34fps is good for now. Stop leaving in the future guys, if am not wrong a game can be made to render @ 720p on a 1080p screen and it will fot perfectly on the 4.7" screen (correct me if am wrong)

NiCk.JaY

Nov 23, 2012
What the heck is wrong with you guys. I am a gamer but u guys make soo much noise about how bad the gpu of the one will be, I wonder if you gonna be playing CALL OF DUTY on it, I still have my desire Z with andreno 205 and believe it or not it plays need for speed most wanted with no problem(slightly overclocked). the ONE will do just fine boys, DON'T WORRY. the benchmark is a very difficult one for most mobile devices to hit 60fps, so 34fps is good for now. Stop leaving in the future guys, if am not wrong a game can be made to render @ 720p on a 1080p screen and it will fot perfectly on the 4.7" screen (correct me if am wrong)

I agree, my Desire HD with adreno 205 runs pretty good

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
your desire and desire HD do not have 1080p screens, while scaling can be used, the trend in games is actually using native resolution

again for those who are ok playing downgraded effects disabled shadow versions of iOS games on a brand new android flagship, this does not concern you!!

and we have call duty style games already, MC4 NFSMW they play on your desire/desire HD with severly reduced graphics

its because of such low standards that android OEMs are not even trying....

worst part is attempting to explain why games are inferior to an iPhone 5 user!

NiCk.JaY

Nov 23, 2012
your desire and desire HD do not have 1080p screens, while scaling can be used, the trend in games is actually using native resolution

again for those who are ok playing downgraded effects disabled shadow versions of iOS games on a brand new android flagship, this does not concern you!!

and we have call duty style games already, MC4 NFSMW they play on your desire/desire HD with severly reduced graphics

Um, yes, now I understand your point too

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

-]Megacharge[-

Nov 16, 2010
Montreal

Any chance we may be able to OC the RAM on the One if it turns out to be ddr2? Maybe squeeze out a couple extra GB/s of bandwidth.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They could have used faster memory for the same price if they didn't cut off Samsung as a supplier. Makes you wonder where their priorities lie. Making the best products possible or just going with the motions.

No one is going to take anything you say here seriously, as you've managed to have 2 threads closed in the last 30 mins. One of those inane posts you made involved you saying that HTC is going to be paying, according to your genius calculation, 20% of their profits to Apple (I forget what insanely unintelligent reason you gave). Yeah, because being able to completely migrate data from 1 completely different phone to another is such a bad idea for a company that wants to push their product.

So, what is the per unit cost of what HTC is paying for RAM now vs. what they could have gotten from Samsung? Exactly, you have no idea. I also didn't hear anything about HTC "cutting off" Samsung as a supplier, but maybe I missed it, so I google'd "htc cut off samsung supplier" and found 2 links...

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones/following-apple-htc-cuts-component-orders-from-samsung/505402

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20121009PD213.html

I'm not sure if you have the capability of reading or not, but I'll spoon feed you this information, ok hunny? I've taken the info from the 1st link, since there is more there.

After Apple Inc slashed its orders for memory chips for its new iPhone from major supplier and competitor, Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, HTC too has reportedly cut down on its smartphone component orders from the South Korean company.

So, Apple cut down on memory orders. You know, they are the one's who make the iPhone? Have a logo of an Apple on their products? Steve Jobs was the CEO before he died. Anyway, I'll continue...

According to a report by DigiTimes, HTC has reduced its orders from Samsung, and instead opted to order CMOS image sensors from OmniVision and Sony. The company has also chosen to move part of its AMOLED panel orders to AU Optronics, DigiTimes reported citing ‘sources’.

Notice it said that HTC reduced its orders from Samsung, specifically on the image sensors (that's for the camera, if you didn't know) and the screen. You know, the thing on the front of your phone that you touch to make it do things? You know what I mean, right? I encourage you to read this link (or possibly have someone read it to you)...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reduce

The point is that reduce isn't the same as cut off. Cutting off would require HTC not ordering ANYTHING from Samsung. Guess what? The One doesn't use an OmniVision CMOS sensor (don't forget, that's what the camera uses) or an AMOLED screen (the bright part of your phone that shows you info).

Also, this is a far better designed phone, especially in regards to hardware, than anything Samsung has ever produced. I went back to my EVO 4G LTE, mainly because I couldn't stand the terrible build quality of the Note 2. It just feels like a cheap toy. And, IMO, Sense is far better than TW. Samsung may have the market right now because of the Galaxy line of products, but that doesn't mean that HTC is out of the game by any means.

Seriously, attempt to use just a bit of intelligence before opening your mouth and spewing diarrhea throughout the One forums. As the saying goes: "it's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're an idiot, then to open your mouth and prove it". Unfortunately for you, it's too late.
    Very important gaming development on the Snapdragon 600 and HTC One thanks to following gameplay videos, seems we have underestimated Qualcomm:
    Most important video of all is modern combat 4, seems the game was officially updated for Adreno 320 and its now running in full effects, which also means Qualcomm are finally pushing visual quality on their GPU (we already know they are working with gameloft), the game is now running full quality, fully smooth, I will not be able to tell if its running in native 1080p or scaling but since we can see fps drops during transparencies at the start of the beach scene I would assume its 1080p (update confirmed 1080p), considering this game is currently a lagfest on the iPad4 after the retina support, I have to say I'm very impressed, if this is indeed 1080p make this mind blowning

we can still see fps dips during cut scenes and certain areas, so definitely ondemand can not be a match to a more aggressive governor, so expect better performance from the included msm-dcvs governor or gameboost (requires root)

I still didn't play this game due to the lag on my ipad4, so i can't wait to play it on my HTC One (hoping to have mine next week)

Real Racing 3. The game was previously running in medium mode with no realtime reflections, in the video it seems updated to high mode with real time reflections but its not clear whether its modded or official, there are clear fps dips, what its not clear if its ondemand governor to blame, 1080p or lack of optimizations, if some rooted user can try it with the msm-dcvs governor and reports back on fps, also confirms if its updated to realtime reflections

Nova 3 was always running in full effects for Afreno 320, its very smooth in this video with unjustified random fps dips which most likely mean the game is not demanding full speed from the ondemand governor, a switch to msm-dcvs governor using root might improve it, vsync disabled or custom kernel with GPU unlocked to 487mhz

Batman runs fully smooth with full effects engaged, including depth of field

Shadowgun is sadly missing the awesomeness from the THD Tegra exclusive version, but this is the game that use to suffer from ondemand the governor most, during light load it used to lag as the CPU scales all the way down, non of this on the HTC One, buttery performance

Asphalt 7 and wildblood are still without effects (most likely these games are not identifying the device and running default modes), but I think we can still expect updates to fix it, especially asphalt 7, otherwise it can modded easily but wildblood is not easy to mode

Conclusion

Modern Combat 4 in full effects is currently one of the heaviest mobile games, like I said it even lags on the mighty iPad4 at full retina, the fact it's running so well out of box is clearly reassuring toward the gaming future of Snapdragon 600 and Qualcomm's support, now that the Snapdragon 600 is announced for the SGS4 I can only expect such support to grow, mass devices are always a primary target for companies like Gameloft, lets remember Tegra 3 support only took off when the Nexus 7 was unleashed

Regarding HTC's troubled ondemand governor issue in games, it seems a lot has improved since the One X, but expect even greater performance by rooting and switching or optimizing governors (Game boosted ondemand, interactive or msm-dcvs)

As for Adreno 320, I think I might have under estimated this GPU, looking at this GFLOPS table Adreno 320 can achieve 51GFLOPS @ 500mhz vs 51GFLOPS @533mhz on the 544MP3, according to the HTC One GL 34fps score, we have already confirmed it runs at a modest 400mhz, the best scenario for the 544MP3 is 533mhz if its not down clocked due to thermals and would score around 45fps, Adreno 320 can be easily OCed using custom kernels and fauxclock app or trickster mod, vsync can be disabled as well, it can already achieve stable 487mhz on the Nexus 4' S4pro, given the sgs4 s600 41fps score we can assume Samsung is running it at 487mhz as well

Considering the Frankenstein nature of the Exynos Octa chipset I can safely conclude Snapdragon 600 is a dramatically more efficient and elegant solution, even if I was buying an SGS4 (in another life) I would go for the Snapdragon 600 version
    Very funny how you were complaining how better ios is @ gaming to android flagships, and now the GPU they use can not be "optimised". You really contradicting yourself there. As for more proof, pls go to GL bench' in the compare section select Iphone5 and HTC one, the on-screen performance(which people should concentrate on, cos off-screen is for comparing only and the on-screen shows the real performance of the device) the Iphone 5 is higher. Also all ios devices use this GPU, so surely developers will find it easier and more attractive to develop for a GPU that is widely used across platforms. The SGS4 plus the Iphone wile take about 70% of smartphone sales, this again is going to attract more devs. Surely game optimising will get better for the andreno, but will not be better than support for the power VR which is seeing serious promotion from its main users. I once said to these OEMs its not about making the best phone, but all about selling the most(something apple and sammy are doing great@) making a premium phone and telling people you kept 300 features there is not enough to sell. Sammy who throw in a lot of features (admittedly gimmick) will sell to any average buyer who does not read tech sites for more info, is still doing serious makerting and partnership to promote their phones. I am very annoyed with the way HTC is not marketing seriously. HTC one is a very good phone, a little marketing and "kaabooom" they will be selling tanks of em. Instead of making sense of something that is still a probability, why not e-mail HTC telling them to market properly(like I did), cos if the ONE does not sell well, then HTC takes a big step to an early grave, something we all don't want. I'm not insulting you, but only a few hundred people here will be convinced by you. The question is what of the millions out there, those people that will keep HTC going, ARE THEY CONVINCED.

If you want people to read your posts learn what a paragraph is

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
    update: msm-dcvs governor is included in the HTC One, requires root to switch

Vey important info regarding Gaming on Snapdraong 4 Pro / Snapdragon 600

there is an alternative krait optimized governor on the stock Droid DNA, lets hope its included on the HTC One

and even better lets hope its using it as the main performance governor instead of the old and tired ondemand

maybe Trekest can check?
    Its well known

MSM-DCVS

a very efficient and wide range of Dynamic Clock and
    Voltage Scaling (DCVS) which addresses usage models from
    active standby to mid and high level processing requirements.
    A Krait CPU can smoothly scale from low power, low
    leakage mode to blazingly fast performance.

Believe it's a governor that is mfg'd by qualcomm to utilize new on chip features.

MSM is the prefix for the SOC (MSM8960) and DCVS is Dynamic Clock and Voltage Scaling. Makes sense, MSM-DCVS
    so found something really interesting about gaming on the Droid DNA

seems there is an alternative quad core optimized governor included in stock kernel (requires root)

called MSM-DCVS CPU governor

users switching to the governor are getting much better gaming

source: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2149047&page=2
    I have the games as well and they run great for me. Rooted, s-off with stock rom and kernal on newest update.. set cpu running msm-dcvs & cfq
    yea, msm-dcvs & cfq setup is made for multi core phones
    Wow, that helped dramatically. Thanks for the tip.
    yes is very nice i got more fluid gameplay but.. i only activated the MSM-DCVS... and i dont know ehre to find the CFQ ??? how can i active this and when i active the MSM-DCVS it only gives ms 1.5GHz on each core and i have it 1.7Ghz ... OVerlock do you know why?
    Wow, that helped dramatically. Thanks for the tip.

That governor is set at 1.5. You can't over or under clock it.

And cfq is an io scheduler. Most apps that let you overclock and set governors also let you change the schedular

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
    so just to be clear - you think it is mostly a software issue?

otherwise how could they fix it if its the ddr2 ram thats the bottleneck?

PS what is this samsung sd 600 leaked phone? ive somehow missed it

It's right there in glbenchmark website top list, using adeno 320 it scores 41fps offscreen

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

People, people, I'll say it again, this more than likely device specific.

The LG Nexus 4, has the thermal constraints set weirdly low, you could them with a custom kernel, or just manually editing the thermald.conf file, if rooted. Other S4 Pro didn't devices didn't have the problem. So, who says LG hasn't messed up again.

We have a GLBenchmark - Egypt HD - Offscreen figure of 34 FPS, for the HTC One, we need to wait for the Anandtech or when an XDA user is able to run the GLB tests Anandtech style, i.e. select all the tests and press start!, if the HTC One scores much lower than 34 FPS, we have an issue, but we can't really compare LG & HTC on an equal basis.

As a side issue, can any iPhone 5 owner, run GLbenchmark 2.5.1 and select all the tests, and report back the FPS they get?

Yes it would be stupid to say I will not buy it anymore

But here is what we know:

- HTC One scores less than the expected results based on Qualcomm figures and confirmed by the Samsung leaked device
    - no proof of throttling on HTC since it scored the same 34fps on multiple occasions, we loose 3fps by moving to Vsync results
    - the LG s600 device is scoring too low, a definite sign of throttling
    - there is a history of GPU throttling issues on previous s4pro LG devices
    - HTC One is running on Android 4.1.2 while the leaked Samsung is running on 4.2.x, its safe to assume the Samsung is using newer drivers

ill test GL heavily on the iPhone 5 tomorrow in the office

Actually I'm a lot more interested in a single clean run of HD offscreen, all devices throttle but not as bad as the Nexus 4

So priority one a single clean Egypt HD on a cool device

Secondary try all the tests to check the losses