SD card issues

Search This thread

MaskedMarauder

Aug 23, 2005
Northampton
Has anyone else got issues with the use of SD cards in their Alpine derivitive?

Like the card not showing as being there when you try to write to it or explore the phone with file explorer or ActiveSync?

Perhaps videos on the card stop whilst watching them with a file error or the like?

Mine does with all 4 different makes of card I have tried and I am wondering if this is a common fault.

Danny-B-

May 6, 2005
Scotland
Yep its a very common fault.
I think everyone has the same experiences. (Me included)

what version ROMs do you have ?

there is an upgrade available if yours is the origonal, the upgrade will help a bit.

have a look here ... http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=25801

But read to the Third page as "Pug" psted a more up to date package :)

MaskedMarauder

Aug 23, 2005
Northampton
I am using Pug's Radio version 1.03 hybrid, but continue to suffer!

I have downloaded a SD Card benchmarking utility, my card is showing as 4.7x, but I don't know how that relates to manufacturers quoted speeds. It is either painfully slow or uses a different scale!

bryan_suen

Jul 28, 2005
London
1GB SD from Transcend

Some ppl said the Transcend 512 SD works well on the 2i, just wonder if the 1 GB will work as good as the 512...

Any comment will be appreciated

Dodger

Apr 18, 2005
Does anyone know where to get the 4 GB SD-Cards cheapest?
And what branches are there?
A-Data and Pretec i know, but are there more?

MaskedMarauder

Aug 23, 2005
Northampton
Re: 1GB SD from Transcend

bryan_suen said:
Some ppl said the Transcend 512 SD works well on the 2i, just wonder if the 1 GB will work as good as the 512...

Any comment will be appreciated

I bought a Transcend 256mb 80X card an my XDA IIi has worked flawlessly since with no lock-ups what-so-ever.

I can't speak for the 1mb though!

This seems to be a power issue, the Transcend cards are very low voltage and ampage. My old SanDisk card would fail every time a network function took place, and they are high power drains.

xda2i

Sep 25, 2005
I bought a OEM (white labelled) 1GB MMC and use it on my IIi. Everything is fine so far...

Is there any difference between MMC and SD in terms of IIi flaws?

:?:

Danny-B-

May 6, 2005
Scotland
Only SD cards are supported by the XDA2i, although if you use the backpack addon i think you can use MMC, but not without the addon.

seanrkelly

Jun 8, 2005
London
Someone told me once that the IIi works best with a fast SD card like the Kingston Elite Pro. I changed to that and all my problems when away. TomTom5 stopped locking up as well.

swapniljain

Oct 9, 2005
Brussels
Kingston SD Card

Are there any other users who have used the Kingston Elite Pro SD Card. I have been looking around for a while, and the Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB / 512 MB seem to be a single layered card.

I also wanted to confirm that when using a Sandisk SD card, I am having lockup's. If I take the card out of the slot, the XDA2i begins to respond again. Though I must admit I havent tested it exhaustively.

swapniljain

Oct 9, 2005
Brussels
Kingston SD Card

Are there any other users who have used the Kingston Elite Pro SD Card. I have been looking around for a while, and the Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB / 512 MB seem to be a single layered card.

I also wanted to confirm that when using a Sandisk SD card, I am having lockup's. If I take the card out of the slot, the XDA2i begins to respond again. Though I must admit I havent tested it exhaustively.

AlanJC

Nov 15, 2004
West Midlands
Danny-B- said:
Only SD cards are supported by the XDA2i, although if you use the backpack addon i think you can use MMC, but not without the addon.

You mean CF not MMC. SD and MMC both work in SD slots, but not vice versa.

CF type 2 is the slot on the VGA backpack.

swapniljain

Oct 9, 2005
Brussels
SD Card issue

I understand all SD cards work.. I was trying to find the compatability of the same with Tomtom Navigator 5. I understand from the earlier posts that a multi layer card causes lockups. The transcend 80X card works fine. I was inclined towards buying a Kingston Elite Pro and hence the question...

zehave

Oct 11, 2005
another Newbie,.,

hiya all. . i'm recieving my Xda 2i in about an hour.. just wondering which SD memory works best.. i read a few posts and quite frankly being quite confused,, was about to order a scandisk SD 1 gb card.. but i read somewhere ppl saying this is bad??
is that true?
thanks..

swapniljain

Oct 9, 2005
Brussels
The Sandisk is not the best one. I have one and it causes lockups being a multilayer card. The transcend 80x works fine ( what i gather from different forums ). The Kingston Elite Pro also has some very good feedback. I am purchasing a 1 gb Kingston elite pro today. Sandisk is a no no... [/quote]

swapniljain

Oct 9, 2005
Brussels
zehave said:

I cannot browse Ebay at work so couldnt confirm. But you could find the card on this url:

http://www.epcbuyer.com/products.asp?recnumber=5761

Its around £44 on this site.

I tried to find a deal at ebay from home yesterday. They are around £39 and are being shipped from HongKong. I dont know when we will receive it. There could be excise + other charges. I am not sure.

zehave

Oct 11, 2005
hmm.. well on this guy whom is shipping from HK is selling it at 25 quid including shipping.. .trouble is i want it asap .. Heh... buying from him seems like 20 quid cheaper.. howeber have to wait for about 10 days or so.. . so he sez.. not to mention customs and duties.. ....
i just might shell out 44 quid then...

Reactions: Kennyblink

swapniljain

Oct 9, 2005
Brussels
zehave said:
hmm.. well on this guy whom is shipping from HK is selling it at 25 quid including shipping.. .trouble is i want it asap .. Heh... buying from him seems like 20 quid cheaper.. howeber have to wait for about 10 days or so.. . so he sez.. not to mention customs and duties.. ....

Well you also avoided the same trap... I almost fell into. Though it says £12 (Card) + £13 for postage, but you didnt have a look at the mandatory insurance which stands at £13. In all its around £38 + Other expenses. Not to mention the pain of getting it from hongkong...

Good decision at last...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.