firmware 6.3.3 -=Post your rooting progress here=-

Search This thread

Aareon

Jul 5, 2014
Ok so I was at least able to use a factory cable to put the kindle into fastboot mode. After that I was able to flash FFF and TWRP and then flash a stock 6.3.2 Rom which is rootable.

Also you can install custom rom from this point. Not exactly succeeding and rooting stock 6.3.3 but its a start.

My Kindle Fire 1st Gen is version 6.3.3. I have run KFU .97 and installed all drivers and what not, but after everything, the Boot Status is always Unknown. I have tried everything that has been suggested. Any ideas?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
My Kindle Fire 1st Gen is version 6.3.3. I have run KFU .97 and installed all drivers and what not, but after everything, the Boot Status is always Unknown. I have tried everything that has been suggested. Any ideas?
Kindle Fire Utility sometimes reports boot status incorrectly, How is kindle shown in Windows Device manager? With 6.3.3, you need a fastboot cable before you can do anything.

Last edited:

Teletwanger

Sep 10, 2012
Stock 6.3.3 to rooted 6.3.3...no factory cable!

I am too tired at the moment to explain further, but I will when I have some time.

I had made a factory cable, but it wouldn't work for me as I am using a laptop for the connected PC and it was trying to draw too much current from the usb port. I went with the usb mode-open case-shorted-pin-method and now have a rooted 6.3.3. Everything works so far. I have booted it over and over all day with just a few hiccups. Next I will attempt to dual-boot it with rooted 6.3.3 and Android 4.4. Will post details soon.

Lunarino

Jul 28, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Kindle Fire 6.3.3 Success with no Factory Cable

Many thanks to sd_shadow for the most excellent posts helping me to make things go relatively smoothly :victory:

Using these for guidance
  • [How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3 [2014]
  • [GUIDE] Downgrade stock 6.3.3 to rootable 6.3.2
  • Flashing FFF and TWRP without Fastboot Cable
were all HUGELY instrumental in getting me this far. I'm kinda dense so the videos in particular allowed me to proceed with much more confidence.

I'd like to try and take my success one step further by attempting OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [2014-05-08]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_poieP0ruI&feature=youtu.be
While using these locations for reference

Unfortunately I've hit a snag while following along VERY carefully step-b-step. After typing in my first command the result was different than seen on the example command prompt on screen. I posted a question there but am wondering where exactly would be the best place for people to reach out for assistance with this project.

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated, Thanks

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Many thanks to sd_shadow for the most excellent posts helping me to make things go relatively smoothly :victory:

Using these for guidance
  • [How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3 [2014]
  • [GUIDE] Downgrade stock 6.3.3 to rootable 6.3.2
  • Flashing FFF and TWRP without Fastboot Cable
were all HUGELY instrumental in getting me this far. I'm kinda dense so the videos in particular allowed me to proceed with much more confidence.

I'd like to try and take my success one step further by attempting OtterX ROM/TWRP/Bootloader [2014-05-08]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_poieP0ruI&feature=youtu.be
While using these locations for reference

Unfortunately I've hit a snag while following along VERY carefully step-b-step. After typing in my first command the result was different than seen on the example command prompt on screen. I posted a question there but am wondering where exactly would be the best place for people to reach out for assistance with this project.

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated, Thanks
This is official Q&A/T thread for OtterX Project Project OtterX: New Direction
Or you can start your own thread in Kindle Fire Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting
If your the one who posted Shell was $ not # , I replied that it means adb does not have root access, could be because kindle is not rooted.
enter command exit
enter command adb devices
should get something like 12345679 recovery
then try to push a file any file like a text file needs to be in same folder as adb, if name is test.txt
enter command adb push test.txt /sdcard
should say several things like sending and success

Reactions: Lunarino

Lunarino

Jul 28, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks a MILLION!

This is official Q&A/T thread for OtterX Project Project OtterX: New Direction
Or you can start your own thread in Kindle Fire Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting
If your the one who posted Shell was $ not # , I replied that it means adb does not have root access, could be because kindle is not rooted.
enter command exit
enter command adb devices
should get something like 12345679 recovery
then try to push a file any file like a text file needs to be in same folder as adb, if name is test.txt
enter command adb push test.txt /sdcard
should say several things like sending and success

I'm looking forward to following the suggestions offered and continuing this adventure.

Lunarino

Jul 28, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Having trouble setting up for a custom ROM - OtterX

It was suggested I look into "Project OtterX" It looks REALLY exciting.

I am having trouble laying the foundation before I go forward. (Backing up my existing partitions) Otterx uses an improved partition space structure that I feel makes a lot of sense.

I'm getting an error message after typing in the first command so I'm stuck.

After entering the command "adb shell" I get the "~ # ←[6n prompt"
Then back to
INSTALLATION:
1. [OPTIONAL-RECOMMENDED] Make sure to backup your vital partitions via from recovery via adb like so:
Code: Select Code
adb shell "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0 of=/sdcard/boot0.bin" - it returned the following:
dd: can't open '/dev/block/mmcblk0boot0': No such file or directory

Further details from the Q&A Thread
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54512658&postcount=306
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54543431&postcount=312

I'm feeling so lost and frustrated that I am considering moving forward without making those backups. But I do have serious doubts for success considering my failures thus far.

Any ideas on where I can read up more on this issue in order to make some progress?

inKRbl

Sep 15, 2010
Success

Success rooting and updating my Kindle 1st Gen.

Tried KFU0.99 first, but it was unable to detect the kindle's status. Then I went down a bit of a rat hole installing the Google USB driver (via KFU), and separately the Amazon USB driver. The former is all that was needed. Windows probably needed to be rebooted (there was a lot of rebooting). Eventually adb just worked (hint: use "adb devices" to see if it is working), and I got fbmode installed and run. Then of course I wound up in fastboot mode -- which is a pretty funny name for a mode where the system appears to hang endlessly in the boot. I was fairly sure I'd borked it here ("fastboot devices" didn't work) but rebooting windows let the kindle boot all the way up. After I understood what fastboot mode was, then I got FFF and TWRP (2.2.2.1) installed, possibly by running my window in Admin mode. Then I needed to update TWRP to 2.8.0.2, but I couldn't figure out how to get back into fastboot mode -- until I discovered the FFF for a few moments while booting _IS_ in fastboot mode. So you just reboot and quickly issue your fastboot commands. Once done, I made backups and then installed cyanogenmod 11 and boy did that boot take a long time.

But now I'm up on a fancy new rom and things feel just as fast as the clunky amazon build.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Success rooting and updating my Kindle 1st Gen.

Tried KFU0.99 first, but it was unable to detect the kindle's status. Then I went down a bit of a rat hole installing the Google USB driver (via KFU), and separately the Amazon USB driver. The former is all that was needed.
you need the drivers from KFU to use fastboot mode , you likely just needed to reboot pc
Windows probably needed to be rebooted (there was a lot of rebooting). Eventually adb just worked (hint: use "adb devices" to see if it is working), and I got fbmode installed and run. Then of course I wound up in fastboot mode -- which is a pretty funny name for a mode where the system appears to hang endlessly in the boot.
Fastboot mode was not created by amazon, it is standard for android devices, amazon just chose not to change the boot screen
I was fairly sure I'd borked it here ("fastboot devices" didn't work) but rebooting windows let the kindle boot all the way up. After I understood what fastboot mode was, then I got FFF and TWRP (2.2.2.1) installed, possibly by running my window in Admin mode. Then I needed to update TWRP to 2.8.0.2, but I couldn't figure out how to get back into fastboot mode -- until I discovered the FFF for a few moments while booting _IS_ in fastboot mode. So you just reboot and quickly issue your fastboot commands.
I recommend powering off kindle, sending fastboot commands, then powering on device, so you don't miss the window.
but you can upgrade/downgrade twrp in twrp with the flashable TWRP zips in my Kindle Fire Flashable Recoveries/FFF TWRP/COTR/CWM[2014]

suneel_b

Dec 7, 2014
Rooted 6.3.3

Here's what I did:

1. Download stock firmware 6.3.2 (latest KFU will get it for you)
2. Copy stock firmware to internal storage on Kindle Fire (boot up Kindle Fire and plug into your computer)
3. Download TWRP 2.2.2.1 from here. (thanks sd_shadow).
4. Download latest FFF using KFU
5. Put TWRP and FFF into a folder on your computer that contains fastboot.exe
6. Make a factory cable (google "make Motorola factory usb cable") or you can buy a premade one or an adapter. Here's an example.
7. Turn off your Kindle fire and unplug it from your computer.
8. Plug one end or your factory cable into your computer.
9. Open a windows command prompt from the folder with fastboot.exe in it.
10. While the Kindle Fire is turned off, plug in the other end of your factory cable into the Kindle fire. This should throw the KF into fastboot mode.
If you have created the factory cable correctly you should see the red Kindle screen but it should stay there and you should get a new driver install notification in Windows. Install the driver for the Kindle Fire bootloader.
11. From your Windows command prompt run these commands (substituting the names for whatever your TWRP and FFF files are called)
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader fff.bin
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Now you should see the FireFireFire blue screen and you can push the power button to boot into TWRP. From TWRP you can wipe everything and install the 6.3.2 file you placed on the Kindle Fire earlier (if you want to flash a KitKat ROM like CM11 or others then you must re flash recovery with latest TWRP from here). After you are using 6.3.2 you can run latest KFU and it will work just fine.

I don't know how to prevent it. Maybe its best to just flash CM11 on it.

You can root 6.3.3 with Saferoot- here's the link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48392009#post48392009

I rooted my KF 1st gen with it- how would I install CM11? The video guide said that flashing TWRP or FFF wouldn't work with 6.3.3.
Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please post steps in flashing firmware 6.3.2. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back though, because I reset to factory settings before I realized that the firmware had updated.

Here's what I did:

1. Download stock firmware 6.3.2 (latest KFU will get it for you)
    2. Copy stock firmware to internal storage on Kindle Fire (boot up Kindle Fire and plug into your computer)
    3. Download TWRP 2.2.2.1 from here. (thanks sd_shadow).
    4. Download latest FFF using KFU
    5. Put TWRP and FFF into a folder on your computer that contains fastboot.exe
    6. Make a factory cable (google "make Motorola factory usb cable") or you can buy a premade one or an adapter. Here's an example.
    7. Turn off your Kindle fire and unplug it from your computer.
    8. Plug one end or your factory cable into your computer.
    9. Open a windows command prompt from the folder with fastboot.exe in it.
    10. While the Kindle Fire is turned off, plug in the other end of your factory cable into the Kindle fire. This should throw the KF into fastboot mode.
    If you have created the factory cable correctly you should see the red Kindle screen but it should stay there and you should get a new driver install notification in Windows. Install the driver for the Kindle Fire bootloader.
    11. From your Windows command prompt run these commands (substituting the names for whatever your TWRP and FFF files are called)
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader fff.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Now you should see the FireFireFire blue screen and you can push the power button to boot into TWRP. From TWRP you can wipe everything and install the 6.3.2 file you placed on the Kindle Fire earlier (if you want to flash a KitKat ROM like CM11 or others then you must re flash recovery with latest TWRP from here). After you are using 6.3.2 you can run latest KFU and it will work just fine.

So how are you preventing it from taking another OTA of 6.3.3?

I don't know how to prevent it. Maybe its best to just flash CM11 on it.
    I created a prerooted 6.3.3 update that can be installed in twrp.
    I have Installed with 2.2.2.1 and 2.7.1.0 versions of Twrp
    Didn't change much,
    I replaced stock install script with tobiascuypers' install script from [Rom] Stock 6.3.2 [Mods] [04.22.13] [Primary/Alt]
    Added Root files (busybox, su, SuperSU)
    Added Google Apps (Framwork, Play Store, Calendar, Google Voice, Google +)
    Added other apps (Root Browser, Go Launcher, Facebook)
    Instructions
    Download update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip, place on sd card, wipe data (may be optional), install with TWRP
    wipe cache, reboot, may take a few mins to boot first time.

Tested Google play (signed in, downloaded apps)
    Didn't test amazon sign in.

Edit; see my [2014][Pre-Rooted][Stock]System Version 6.3.3-Original Kindle Fire Only thread
    Ok so I was at least able to use a factory cable to put the kindle into fastboot mode. After that I was able to flash FFF and TWRP and then flash a stock 6.3.2 Rom which is rootable.

Also you can install custom rom from this point. Not exactly succeeding and rooting stock 6.3.3 but its a start.
    Unless newest Twrp is different, only Twrp 2.2.2.1 or lower can install stock kindle firmware. Other TWRP versions will bootloop the Kindle Fire, and Twrp will need to be flashed in bootloader
    Correct or cannibal open touch recovery but it won`t flash Kit Kat.
    Unless newest Twrp is different, only Twrp 2.2.2.1 or lower can install stock kindle firmware. Other TWRP versions will bootloop the Kindle Fire, and Twrp will need to be flashed in bootloader

Well, whatever KFU .99 downloaded, that's what I flashed. And it worked. I don't have the Kindle anymore to check TWRP version .

I don't want anyone bricking their fire because of my steps though. I'll edit the post. Thanks sd_shadow!