Help!! Nexus S stuck in Downloading...

Search This thread

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys, so I just came across a Nexus S GT-i9020T but it has a problem! The problem is right after it's turned on, it immediately goes into "Downloading... Do not turn of target!!!" with an android sweeping up icon... Now I just bought this off a guy and he only told me that the last thing he did was install some Cybermod 9 skank mod??? he claims the phone was working fine until he went to reboot and got this Downloading.. screen from there on out.. Now I can't even get the phone recognized on my Windows 7 computer but I'm really new to this stuff and thought if i could get this fixed i'd have a cheap new/used Nexus S.. I've tried the Volume Up + Power hold, and other variants and cannot get the phone into bootloader. Also, when I plug in the USB cable there's no charging icons, and it seems the battery is getting low and dying so I'm going to buy an external battery charger to keep it topped up while I try to repair it. Please tell me what I can try to get this thing working! Thank you!

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Hey guys, so I just came across a Nexus S GT-i9020T but it has a problem! The problem is right after it's turned on, it immediately goes into "Downloading... Do not turn of target!!!" with an android sweeping up icon... Now I just bought this off a guy and he only told me that the last thing he did was install some Cybermod 9 skank mod??? he claims the phone was working fine until he went to reboot and got this Downloading.. screen from there on out.. Now I can't even get the phone recognized on my Windows 7 computer but I'm really new to this stuff and thought if i could get this fixed i'd have a cheap new/used Nexus S.. I've tried the Volume Up + Power hold, and other variants and cannot get the phone into bootloader. Also, when I plug in the USB cable there's no charging icons, and it seems the battery is getting low and dying so I'm going to buy an external battery charger to keep it topped up while I try to repair it. Please tell me what I can try to get this thing working! Thank you!

check if the volume down is stuck. power button + volume down get you into download mode.

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
Not quite sure how to tell if the volume down button is stuck... I can hear it clicking when i push it.. Hitting around the volume button area doesnt seem to do anything.. Any key combo I hold always brings me into "Downloading.."
Edit: I opened up the phone and the volume keys seem to be working fine

Last edited:

chronophase1

Mar 12, 2011
Do you have the Android SDK? I'd think if you got those, you'd be able to issue the ADB commands and reboot into the bootloader that way.

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
Yes i have the Android SDK installed properly, however i'm not sure if i have the correct USB Drivers since i just got this phone and havent ever hooked it up to my PC before.. I've worked on my Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus before, but i've since updated USB drivers to 1.4.8..... I tried 'adb devices' in a terminal and can't get the PC to recognize the phone at all, but thats about all i know for commands. What else can I try??

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
ok so i found a list of commands, tried 'adb reboot-bootloader' but its saying error: device not found... Now my battery is almost completely dead and phone only comes on for 3-4 seconds so i think i need to go buy that external battery charger before i continue because the phone will NOT charge via usb cable attached to phone.. :mad:

chronophase1

Mar 12, 2011
I haven't updated my SDK in ages and it still recognizes my device. In my case, sometimes my USB ports act funky and won't recognize my phone. I'd have to either restart the PC or switch ports and it would work. Let us know if you get the phone fully charged up

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
I haven't updated my SDK in ages and it still recognizes my device. In my case, sometimes my USB ports act funky and won't recognize my phone. I'd have to either restart the PC or switch ports and it would work. Let us know if you get the phone fully charged up

So i picked up the charger and now have a charged battery! Still not sure how to get the PC to recognize the phone though... Was I right in installed the 1.4.8 Samsung mobile phone driver or is there another driver i need to use like pdanet???

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
OK!! Got the PC to recognize the phone being plugged in but it's still showing up as "Unknown Device" under device manager.. I'm guessing this means I don't have the right drivers, or?? Also I'm not getting anywhere under terminal "adb devices" or "adb reboot-bootloader".. saying error: device not found

Last edited:

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
Anyone??????? Just to recap, on my Nexus S when i turn the phone on i'm stuck on the "Downloading... Do not turn off target" screen (can't use volume up + power) always goes to download screen.. The phone shows up as "Unknown Device" in device manager.. Odin doesnt pick it up, adb devices shows no devices... Ive tried a few different drivers such as pdanet, samsung 1.4.8, with no success.... Please someone must know a solution?

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
I have ubntu on a usb stick already but i don't really know how to use it all that well... will it have drivers already or do i need to download some linux usb samsung driver?

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
I really can't figure out Ubuntu.. i even seemed to brick it somehow off a usb stick.. try to boot it and just get a black screen after the UBUNTU logo loading screen... man i'm hopeless lol

r3ap3r911

Jul 22, 2009
http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

this has the info on the driver bit see configuring usb access, the rest would just be getting adb and fastboot for linux

OK after a few hours of messing around I got Ubuntu up and running, installed JDK, SDK, and still no devices found when i bring up a terminal and type 'adb devices' while the Nexus S is on and in downloading do not turn off target!! mode.... Tried Unbrickable resurrector with no success saying it can't find device either... I know I have usb drivers and adb installed correctly because i can plug in my Gnex and get the adb device # no problem... This is super frustrating!!

Last edited: