[Q] No connection play store / deleting system files

Search This thread

xismo1

Nov 20, 2013
So I've been having the famous No connection error on Play Store for a few months now and really want to fix it. I've read all threads on this topic and watched all tutorials. The one thing everyone seems to be saying works is deleting the hosts file from the etc folder which is the one thing I can't seem to do.

My phone is N5 and it's rooted through CF. I use Total Commander as my file manager but it won't let me delete the file even though Total Commander has root privileges. The permissions of the hosts file are set to r/w under user but read only for group and world. Again it won't let me set it to read write for the other two. I've also tried doing this through ES explorer but it's the same thing. Can anyone please recommend a way to delete the file successfully?

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
So I've been having the famous No connection error on Play Store for a few months now and really want to fix it. I've read all threads on this topic and watched all tutorials. The one thing everyone seems to be saying works is deleting the hosts file from the etc folder which is the one thing I can't seem to do.

My phone is N5 and it's rooted through CF. I use Total Commander as my file manager but it won't let me delete the file even though Total Commander has root privileges. The permissions of the hosts file are set to r/w under user but read only for group and world. Again it won't let me set it to read write for the other two. I've also tried doing this through ES explorer but it's the same thing. Can anyone please recommend a way to delete the file successfully?

I personally use FX File explorer with root add-on, works perfectly out read write. Try that. Also, do you have newest play store installed, the 4.6.17 version?

xismo1

Nov 20, 2013
I just updated to 4.6.16 today but it made no difference. The no connection error still persists.

Regarding the permissions though it seems to be a problem on a higher level as I've tried three different file managers (ES Explorer, Total Commander and Root Explorer) and none of them let me delete the hosts file. Any idea where else the problem could be?

xismo1

Nov 20, 2013
I haven't, guess I could give it a shot but do you think there would be any difference? I'd be effectively doing the same thing manually that the file managers are trying to do. And they're failing at it.

When I try to remount the system folder in total commander it gives me a remount error so I'm wondering if it could be successful through shell.

exb0

Oct 24, 2010
PNW
freshair.farm
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I haven't, guess I could give it a shot but do you think there would be any difference? I'd be effectively doing the same thing manually that the file managers are trying to do. And they're failing at it.

When I try to remount the system folder in total commander it gives me a remount error so I'm wondering if it could be successful through shell.

I'm not sure what's wrong here, but there is a posibility you lost your root (dirty flashed and update or something) so you could try that. You can also try flashing supersu and see if that helps. That normally solves my root problems.

xismo1

Nov 20, 2013
I was actually thinking that I may have lost root as well, but then I have a volume mod flashed and that still works fine, though not sure if that would be effected when already flashed. I haven't done any updates though so not really sure how that could happen. Is there any way to test whether I still have root for sure?

xismo1

Nov 20, 2013
Just tried checking whether I still have root via root checker and it says I do. Really not sure what's going on. Does anyone have an advice on how to grant rw permissions to the hosts file?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
get rid of total commander, its garbage. get root explorer. also, youll probably have to flash the latest supersu, since you flash a few months ago. i know they updated their su binaries a few times in the last few months. you have to keep stuff like that current.

xismo1

Nov 20, 2013
Fair enough. I actually just got the latest root explorer and was finally able to delete the hosts file only to find out that it doesn't actually solve the play store problem. What options do I have left? Factory recovery?