[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!)

Search This thread

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
New version 0.7 available!
Now compatible with software version 1.1 !!
Special thanks to Decad3nce for the new framework.jar!

Howdy everyone! It's thecubed / IOMonster again!

This time, I'm back with a MONSTER release :)

For all those asking "What's a Monster RootPack"? It's simple!
It's a SD card image containing a bootable Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 and a set of .zip files that allow you to root your device and install Google Apps (market, gmail, youtube, etc).

All you have to do is read the instructions-- it explains the rest.
Please be sure to read ALL the instructions first before using this utility!

All the instructions can be found here: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/rootpack-instructions.html
Be sure to read through them!
I'm not one for huge forum posts, so keeping all the instructions on one URL helps me stay organized :)

Downloads:
Download the RootPack here: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/128mb_rootpack-0.7.tar.gz [mirror]

Or

Download a bootable Clockwork SD card (128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb) here:
http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/ [mirrors]

Updated Zip Files:
Use these if you already have a bootable SD, or even CWM installed on your device:
http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips

Want to build your own CWM SD cards?
Download this: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/buildenv-0.7.tar.gz
It's a complete build environment for making bootable SD cards. Included are the source files for 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb SD cards.

Updates:
  • Version 0.7
    New build environment!
    New CWR sizes, rootpack reduced to 128mb image. (We now have 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb images!)
    1.1 Rooting and Google Apps support! (thanks D3cad3nc3!)
    FIXED: backup/restore from CWM now works correctly!
  • Version 0.5
    Well, packages.xml is in /data/system, not /system .. oops.
    Release of 128mb bootable Clockwork SD card also
    Adds block-1.1.zip and unblock-1.1.zip to block the updates the easy way!
  • Version 0.4r2
    Bugfixes. Lots of 'em.
  • Version 0.4
    Fix root.zip and googleapps.zip permissions problems (/data/app and /system/app DO have different owners and permissions)
    Bootable CWM base: No change; version bumped to 0.4 just because.
  • Version 0.3
    Update to most recent Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 build (should have working backup/restore, and defaults to ext2/ext3 support instead of ext4)
    Fixes root.zip and googleapps.zip bugs (can't believe I forgot a semicolon!)
    Updates installclockwork.zip to latest Clockwork Recovery build supporting ext2/3
  • Version 0.2
    Initial public beta release

This brings me to my final point: this rootpack has been tested on my device, but I'm sure there are still bugs! If you want a time-tested method for rooting your device, stick with AutoNooter for the time being.

BUT! I really need testers! If you'd like to test this, please let me know.

Questions/comments welcome! :)

Last edited:

modembug

Feb 9, 2009
CWR works beautifully booting from SDCard, you sir are the man of the hour :) I shall email you two internets!

However, I do not see the zip files you refer too :p (Does not really matter that much as by itself its amazing!)

Last edited:

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
CWR works beautifully booting from SDCard, you sir are the man of the hour :) I shall email you two internets!

The real credits go to the awesome dudes of ClockworkMod, nemith on IRC, FatTire on IRC, [mbm] on IRC, and a LONG list of other people that I am soon to credit with a rather large section in my instructions :)

Glad it helps!

EDIT: The zips are only in the rootpack_1gb.tar.gz -- they're actually in the sd image. Clockwork_1gb.tar.gz is just a bootable clockwork, for the people who just want a platform without any additions (and a speedy download! the rootpack is 24mb, whereas the clockwork card is only 8mb)

Last edited:

modembug

Feb 9, 2009
yeah, ive been too preoccupied with work to hop on IRC lately :(, i need to get my butt back in there... this weekend for sure.

modembug

Feb 9, 2009
something is up with the img file for the rootpack, it claims not enough space on my 2gb card and my 16gb card... cwr only img seems to be fine.. just a heads up

I take it back.... my work laptop is just a POS, my thinkpad does it just fine! whatever.... so much for Dell!

Last edited:

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
something is up with the img file for the rootpack, it claims not enough space on my 2gb card and my 16gb card... cwr only img seems to be fine.. just a heads up

How big did it decompress to be? It should only be around 900MB... unless I accidentally compressed it wrong somehow...

Seems to decompress fine for me.. 941-ish MB.. should fit just fine on any SD 1GB or larger...

Last edited:

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
What If You're Already Rooted..

Can this be done or (groans mightily) do we have to revert all the way back to stock?

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
Ok, I followed the directions exactly, and the device went into a boot loop. It installed the Root, then tried to install the googleapps.zip and received an error 6. Tried rebooting and running the googleapps.zip again, same error.

Ultimately, I used the AutoNooter process and it worked perfectly.

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Ok, I followed the directions exactly, and the device went into a boot loop. It installed the Root, then tried to install the googleapps.zip and received an error 6. Tried rebooting and running the googleapps.zip again, same error.

Ultimately, I used the AutoNooter process and it worked perfectly.

Thank you for your feedback! I'll be sure to check out why the device was bootlooping.
As for the error 6, that'll be interesting to track down.. it's probably a missing semicolon somewhere haha.

One question-- when it was bootlooping, did you see the new boot animation? or did it just go to the "touch the future of reading" to the "n" screen and over and over again?

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Well this is embarrassing! I forgot to include the modified ramdisk in the root.zip... your device started bootlooping because I renamed the ramdisk, but forgot to copy the new one in place! Gah! Oops!

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
Well this is embarrassing! I forgot to include the modified ramdisk in the root.zip... your device started bootlooping because I renamed the ramdisk, but forgot to copy the new one in place! Gah! Oops!

Well, at least that issue was easy to trace. How about the error 6 with the googleapps.zip?

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Well, at least that issue was easy to trace. How about the error 6 with the googleapps.zip?

Probably a missing semicolon somewhere... I'm not at my desktop at the moment though, I'll post back with an update soon, and replacement .zips just incase you don't want to reburn the SD card. (you can just drag+drop 'em to the SD card once you have it made)

chienter

Jan 22, 2011
i had tried the latest one, but i still stack at rebooting,
on my screen, i only see half "N" of the "nook", than no other further,
what can i do now? please.... don't know what to do now....

chienter

Jan 22, 2011
i had tried the latest one, but i still stack at rebooting,
on my screen, i only see half "N" of the "nook", than no other further,
what can i do now? please.... don't know what to do now....

used "8 interrupted Boots" for recovered to the original status,
i guess this time will be the "BIGGEST" lesson i had learned

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New version 0.7 available!
    Now compatible with software version 1.1 !!
    Special thanks to Decad3nce for the new framework.jar!

Howdy everyone! It's thecubed / IOMonster again!

This time, I'm back with a MONSTER release :)

For all those asking "What's a Monster RootPack"? It's simple!
    It's a SD card image containing a bootable Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 and a set of .zip files that allow you to root your device and install Google Apps (market, gmail, youtube, etc).

All you have to do is read the instructions-- it explains the rest.
    Please be sure to read ALL the instructions first before using this utility!

All the instructions can be found here: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/rootpack-instructions.html
    Be sure to read through them!
    I'm not one for huge forum posts, so keeping all the instructions on one URL helps me stay organized :)

Downloads:
    Download the RootPack here: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/128mb_rootpack-0.7.tar.gz [mirror]

Or

Download a bootable Clockwork SD card (128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb) here:
    http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/ [mirrors]

Updated Zip Files:
    Use these if you already have a bootable SD, or even CWM installed on your device:
    http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips

Want to build your own CWM SD cards?
    Download this: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/buildenv-0.7.tar.gz
    It's a complete build environment for making bootable SD cards. Included are the source files for 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb SD cards.

Updates:
    • Version 0.7
      New build environment!
      New CWR sizes, rootpack reduced to 128mb image. (We now have 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb images!)
      1.1 Rooting and Google Apps support! (thanks D3cad3nc3!)
      FIXED: backup/restore from CWM now works correctly!
    • Version 0.5
      Well, packages.xml is in /data/system, not /system .. oops.
      Release of 128mb bootable Clockwork SD card also
      Adds block-1.1.zip and unblock-1.1.zip to block the updates the easy way!
    • Version 0.4r2
      Bugfixes. Lots of 'em.
    • Version 0.4
      Fix root.zip and googleapps.zip permissions problems (/data/app and /system/app DO have different owners and permissions)
      Bootable CWM base: No change; version bumped to 0.4 just because.
    • Version 0.3
      Update to most recent Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 build (should have working backup/restore, and defaults to ext2/ext3 support instead of ext4)
      Fixes root.zip and googleapps.zip bugs (can't believe I forgot a semicolon!)
      Updates installclockwork.zip to latest Clockwork Recovery build supporting ext2/3
    • Version 0.2
      Initial public beta release

This brings me to my final point: this rootpack has been tested on my device, but I'm sure there are still bugs! If you want a time-tested method for rooting your device, stick with AutoNooter for the time being.

BUT! I really need testers! If you'd like to test this, please let me know.

Questions/comments welcome! :)
    I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to restore my Nook to stock and several of the links in this post are dead. Would it be possible for someone to update the thread?
    You don't need this thread. Go to my NC tips thread linked in my signature and follow item A15 to get back to stock.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
    1.1 Compatible Rootpack Just released!

This release brings with it the ability to make backups of your NookColor to SD while booted from CWM on SD, and a fixed version of the installClockwork.zip, so backups will now work!

The biggest announcement being that this rootpack is now 1.1 compatible! Want an easy way to root+install market on your 1.1 device? This is it!

Another biggie is the second most requested feature: more SD sizes!
    I've now got 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb images up for download.

As a side note, the 1.1 rooting+gApps ability of this rootpack are UNTESTED. I have replaced the proper files in the proper places, but there is no guarantee that this'll work. If you want to try the 1.1 rooting + gApps, please be ready to factory restore your NookColor if it doesn't work out.

With that said, i'll be sure to remove this warning once i've seen a few successful installs.

Any testers?

OH and for the love of all that's good and holy, TURN OFF YOUR DOWNLOAD MANAGERS / ACCELERATORS!
    Is it possible to use this to make a nandroid backup of a NC without "installing" from it? I have my NC working great right now, but I'd really like to be able to nandroid it. And I'd prefer not to install CWM, I keep seeing posts that make me feel it's not yet stable for the Nook Color.

In theory, this should support making backups, but since the partition size is only 1gb, I don't think your backup would fit.

I can make a 4gb bootable CWM card sometime soon for those that wish to try.

Again, thanks everyone for your patience! I'm still trying to troubleshoot why root.zip bootloops people...
    I found your post after I posted. I am trying to do that now. Side question, I had CM7 on my Nook previously.

I used win32diskimager to write the "CWM-6.0.1.2-bootable_SD.zip" to my SD card. I will first be using the "NookColor-emmc-format-partitions-5-6-7-8.zip". Do I need to boot to recovery to run this? By holding power+n? Then I plan on removing the format zip and putting the "nookcolor_1_4_3_signed.zip" on my SD card and flashing that. Same question, do I need the power+n or will the SD card just start CWM because of the image I wrote to it?

Thanks.
    If you successfully made the SD, it should boot directly to it when you have it inserted and power on. You can put both zips on the card and boot to CWM and install one after the other without rebooting.

It does not matter what you had installed previously, it will all get wiped.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app