[HOWTO] Re-flash stock kernel, after your device is rooted

Search This thread

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
Hi, thanks. But there's something wrong with the KE2 Kernel. In the zip there is only a zimage file. I tried converting this file to a tar archieve. However flashing the tar in Odin didn't work. Can someone please upload a working tar file?

Please read the original post carefully. The file is not a zip, it is a tar. And you should NOT UNtar. Leave it as it is, with the .tar extension, and use that tar file on Oding. Just follow the instructions.

darkninja157

Sep 27, 2010
Delaware
This should be blatantly obvious to anyone who read and followed the instructions to root, but since this is a how-to may I suggest you reiterate that the phone needs to be in download mode to flash using Odin.

Make sure USB Debugging is enabled, power down phone, hold home+volume down+power, select using volume up, finally plug phone into computer.

Last thing you need is people complaining it fails by forgetting to put the phone into download mode. Also thanks for the quick and easy guide. Good to know that flashing the kernel will not affect user installed apps and settings.

virussnake

Nov 16, 2008
Athens
I flashed the KE2 stock kernel and odin said the process was successful but the phone still says it has root@dell101 ...

What should i do?

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
I flashed the KE2 stock kernel and odin said the process was successful but the phone still says it has root@dell101 ...

What should i do?

Where does it says that? "About Phone"?

Thats is the user/host where Samsung built their kernel. It doesn't mean anything but that. You are fine.

dazzer1975

Apr 4, 2009
Rochdale
Hi,

Wonder if you can help me.

I have rooted the phone and now want to reflash a stock kernel to maintain root but lose the yellow warning triangle on boot.

I checked your link out but am unsure which to download. I went into Kies and am suggested to download the update:

PDA:KE2/PHONE:KDJ/CSC:KD1/XEU

obviously the ke2 on your link is the new stock firmware, the ke1 is the previous version which I was using but I am unsure which I should pick, wether I should just update through kies or if it really matters which I choose?

dazzer1975

Apr 4, 2009
Rochdale
did the kies method and lost root, so rerooted and now gonna reflash with the xwkdd in your download list.

lets see if root remains lol

success, any useless noobs like me around leave kies alone if rooted and want to merely reflash to get rid of the warning triangle lol

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
did the kies method and lost root, so rerooted and now gonna reflash with the xwkdd in your download list.

success, any useless noobs like me around leave kies alone if rooted and want to merely reflash to get rid of the warning triangle lol

Kies updates a whole bunch of other stuff that You want to keep updated. Those new updates are actually pretty solid. Samsung is doing a great job on them. Everytime Kies tells you there is an update, just do the following:

- Update via Kies (you will loose root, but all other data will be safe)
- Reroot using the insecure kernel from the Chainfire thread.
- Come back here and download the Stock kernel for that latest update (currently KE2)
- Flash the Stock kernel

You will have everything at the latest version with the latest kernel and rooted, after those steps.

So if you just did a Kies update to KE2 rom, you can use the Stock KE2 kernel now. No need to go back to KDD.

cliffahn

Jan 8, 2011
Seoul, Korea
@uskr
Is there any way you could get your hands on the Korean stock kernel for me?
I use the SKT version so for that I'd need kernel version
M250S.EE05
I have the firmware, but if I flash that I lose root..
So is there any way to extract the kernel from the firmware? or do I just have to try and find it on my own?

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
@uskr
Is there any way you could get your hands on the Korean stock kernel for me?
I use the SKT version so for that I'd need kernel version
M250S.EE05
I have the firmware, but if I flash that I lose root..
So is there any way to extract the kernel from the firmware? or do I just have to try and find it on my own?

Do you have the .tar rom, or did you update through Kies?

If you do have the Odin .tar for the ROM, it's really easy to do it. Just run on your computer (if it is a linux/mac):

$ mkdir tmp
$ cd tmp
$ tar xf /path/to/rom_file.tar
$ ls

Check if the 'ls' command returns the list of files and if there is a file named "zImage". If so, continue with the commands:

$ tar cf StockKernel.tar zImage

Done, the "StockKernel.tar" file will be the Odin stock kernel file.

If you do not have a linux/mac, or don't know anything of what I just wrote, it's cool. Just let me know and I will get if for you.

cliffahn

Jan 8, 2011
Seoul, Korea
Do you have the .tar rom, or did you update through Kies?

If you do have the Odin .tar for the ROM, it's really easy to do it. Just run on your computer (if it is a linux/mac):

$ mkdir tmp
$ cd tmp
$ tar xf /path/to/rom_file.tar
$ ls

Check if the 'ls' command returns the list of files and if there is a file named "zImage". If so, continue with the commands:

$ tar cf StockKernel.tar zImage

Done, the "StockKernel.tar" file will be the Odin stock kernel file.

If you do not have a linux/mac, or don't know anything of what I just wrote, it's cool. Just let me know and I will get if for you.

Well I managed to get the zImage file out and tar it as it's own separate file, but Odin keeps getting stuck at zImage... any fixes for this? I had no problem flashing the insecure XDD kernel... maybe I'm doing the tar-ing wrong?

I attached the torrent for the full firmware. Could you see whats wrong?

Attachments

• HOME_M250S.EE05.0428_CL186857_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.rar
    19.4 KB · Views: 207

uskr

Feb 12, 2011
Well I managed to get the zImage file out and tar it as it's own separate file, but Odin keeps getting stuck at zImage... any fixes for this? I had no problem flashing the insecure XDD kernel... maybe I'm doing the tar-ing wrong?

I attached the torrent for the full firmware. Could you see whats wrong?

Sorry I didn't answer you before. I will check that for you and post the link for the kernel here.

kar111

Apr 30, 2011
My phone is O2U (O2 branded) can i still use the stock kernels u provided and flash it over?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Reactions: mikeybaby72

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I saw this question over and over around so I decided to post a quick guide here.

After I installed the insecure kernel on my SGS2, to allow me to root, I did a series of quadrant tests. And after comparing 10 runs with the 10 runs I did prior to root, I ended up with the impression that I lost about 200-400 points per run. The tests were not entirely conclusive, since the margin is not big (compared with the total). Regardless, I still wanted to try to squeeze out every bit of performance I can out of this beast. That's when I decided to re-flash the original stock kernel.

What you will need, is basically the same thing you did to gain root, but with another kernel.

Make sure you know what you are doing. I am not responsible if you do it wrong and brick your phone.

1. First download the stock kernel:
    You can find the stock kernels here: http://nma.usk.bz/sgs2.php

DO NOT UNTAR THE FILE. Leave it as it is.

2. Now open Odin and put your phone in Download mode
    3. IMPORTANT: Make sure that "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" are check. And that EVERYTHING else is UNchecked.
    4. Load the .tar file on the PDA field. Just click on "PDA" and open the file.
    5. Click "Start"

Done, you are back to your stock kernel and will keep root. This does not revert what you already installed (su, SuperUser, busybox, etc).

If you have any questions, post it here.

UPDATES:
    ------------
    - Added XWKE7 stock kernel (05/21/2011)

Kies updates a whole bunch of other stuff that You want to keep updated. Those new updates are actually pretty solid. Samsung is doing a great job on them. Everytime Kies tells you there is an update, just do the following:

- Update via Kies (you will loose root, but all other data will be safe)
    - Reroot using the insecure kernel from the Chainfire thread.
    - Come back here and download the Stock kernel for that latest update (currently KE2)
    - Flash the Stock kernel

You will have everything at the latest version with the latest kernel and rooted, after those steps.

So if you just did a Kies update to KE2 rom, you can use the Stock KE2 kernel now. No need to go back to KDD.
    +1
    How can we extract only the kernel from a stock firmware?

you can extract from the .tar and then tar it under linux use this command :
    Code:
    tar -cf zImage filename.tar

or google "tar for windows" then you can run it under windows:)

and then ,you can get a tar contains zImage and you can flash it by odin:)
    My phone is O2U (O2 branded) can i still use the stock kernels u provided and flash it over?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App