[guide]Package Installer will not install apk's - Cancel works but not Install button

Search This thread

lsauer

Oct 10, 2008
I practically ran into the same problem as outlined above. Since googling for this issue was not straightforward, I thought it wise to make the answer to this issue into a micro-guide.

I can no longer install apps (apk's) from the Amazon App Store, or from downloaded apk files, but the market works fine.
I am not rooted, and I am still running 3.2 (US). This started in the last few days, but I can't think of anything that I have done.
I cold booted, but I still get the same results; The install dialog box comes up with the options at the bottom "Install" or "Cancel", however, install does nothing, the window is active because you can press "Show All", or "Cancel" and those do work, but not "Install". I can't think of anything that I have overlooked.
Any Ideas?

http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...-package-installer-will-not-install-apks.html

The most a) likely solution comes in the form of b) security applications interfering with the installation, c) package incompatibility with the device or screen filter applications used to lower the device's brightness below the minimal limit of the Brightness settings.

In my case it was the application "Lux" which was to blame. Thus make sure to untick "stay alive in the "generals" option menu. And kill the Lux app. Now installation proceeds unhindered. Avast was not at fault. So don't freak,- often the solutions are trivial - finding the answers isn't.

Thanks to anyone who contributed in the original thread and to xda.

billyhoyle13

Oct 5, 2011
Oh man, thanks for this! For me, it was the app 'Screen Adjuster' that was blocking apps from being installed. I turned that off, and I finally have an ad blocker again!

Droid Razr xt910 for the record.

Reactions: exstarosta

guravravi

Jan 22, 2013
Re: Install apk problem - install button not working

Oh man, thanks for this! For me, it was the app 'Screen Adjuster' that was blocking apps from being installed. I turned that off, and I finally have an ad blocker again!

If not already done:

Settings -> Apps -> All -> Package Installer Clear Cache & Data, Force Stop, reboot. If this doesn't work repeat, but reboot into recovery and wipe the cache partition.

Still having issues try AppInstaller. Still having issues, there must be a bad system app (frameworks?) that needs clearing and force closed.

100% work

invidian1

Nov 7, 2012
Berlin
I had this inssue too. It's problem with apps which work in background and creating some overlay elements. Disable all this apps and than you can install normally. I had this problem on P.A.C. Rom, after addition of HALO :)

Sorry for my bad english ;)

kill_dano

Oct 25, 2007
Was having trouble installing APKs. The 'install' button was not working. Turning off halo fixed problem.

Reactions: exstarosta

Zarlof

Mar 27, 2007
Another app causing the issue

Velis Auto brightness.

Too bad, because I liked this app. If anyone knows of an app like that that does not cause the issue, I would appreciate the name.

Zarlof

Shriac

Oct 25, 2010
thanks. this happened to me as well. stopped using one of the brightness apps and its back to normal.

Reactions: abvohera

Ch@rly

Feb 7, 2007
Paris
I have the same problem, but I have no programs listed.
I tried to disable the automatic brightness control Sony, the Sony Bravia mode, the interactive lockscreen (DashWidget) LightFlow, ....
But it's the same
I can not find what apply blocks installation

papapaparazzi

May 30, 2010
softbuttons light did it

I tried to disable the automatic brightness control Sony, the Sony Bravia mode, the interactive lockscreen (DashWidget) LightFlow, ....
But it's the same

Removing softbuttons light from domenico Messina resolved my problem.
It's Obvious that you have to look for a installed app that does something with youre screen.

succes

pekomane

Aug 22, 2011
Frankfurt am Main
For me it was JuiceDefender Ultimate. I turned off its brightness control function and I could install apk's. That's odd. After installation I turned it on again, because this function is doing a good job and I love JuiceDefender.

However, thank you for your guide! :good:

xamtra

Jan 4, 2014
unable click install button solved.

Thanks, it worked for me. I was using NIGHT MODE application. After i'm closing that app i'm able to install apk. Thanks a lot.

akshaydubey

Jan 24, 2014
same here

same her but my problem is different I brought Micromax canvas HD in June 2013 and after November in this phone first the android launcher was removed automatically but it was showing in installed apps list I tried all thinks in manage applications I saw that it has been updated and I clicked on uninstall updates but nothing I even cleared data of launcher but nothing same with file manager ,camera,equaliser and now even settings and package installer has been removed I tried to root but it was taking too long for selecting an option and bcoz the system apps removed some apps are crashing like system UI ,instagram and whatsapp
what should I do??

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

same her but my problem is different I brought Micromax canvas HD in June 2013 and after November in this phone first the android launcher was removed automatically but it was showing in installed apps list I tried all thinks in manage applications I saw that it has been updated and I clicked on uninstall updates but nothing I even cleared data of launcher but nothing same with file manager ,camera,equaliser and now even settings and package installer has been removed I tried to root but it was taking too long for selecting an option and bcoz the system apps removed some apps are crashing like system UI ,instagram and whatsapp and when I click on an apk file it say 'no suitable app found'
what should I do??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I practically ran into the same problem as outlined above. Since googling for this issue was not straightforward, I thought it wise to make the answer to this issue into a micro-guide.

I can no longer install apps (apk's) from the Amazon App Store, or from downloaded apk files, but the market works fine.
    I am not rooted, and I am still running 3.2 (US). This started in the last few days, but I can't think of anything that I have done.
    I cold booted, but I still get the same results; The install dialog box comes up with the options at the bottom "Install" or "Cancel", however, install does nothing, the window is active because you can press "Show All", or "Cancel" and those do work, but not "Install". I can't think of anything that I have overlooked.
    Any Ideas?

http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...-package-installer-will-not-install-apks.html

The most a) likely solution comes in the form of b) security applications interfering with the installation, c) package incompatibility with the device or screen filter applications used to lower the device's brightness below the minimal limit of the Brightness settings.

In my case it was the application "Lux" which was to blame. Thus make sure to untick "stay alive in the "generals" option menu. And kill the Lux app. Now installation proceeds unhindered. Avast was not at fault. So don't freak,- often the solutions are trivial - finding the answers isn't.

Thanks to anyone who contributed in the original thread and to xda.

If not already done:

Settings -> Apps -> All -> Package Installer Clear Cache & Data, Force Stop, reboot. If this doesn't work repeat, but reboot into recovery and wipe the cache partition.

Still having issues try AppInstaller. Still having issues, there must be a bad system app (frameworks?) that needs clearing and force closed.

100% work
    I had this inssue too. It's problem with apps which work in background and creating some overlay elements. Disable all this apps and than you can install normally. I had this problem on P.A.C. Rom, after addition of HALO :)

Sorry for my bad english ;)
    softbuttons light did it

But it's the same

Removing softbuttons light from domenico Messina resolved my problem.
    It's Obvious that you have to look for a installed app that does something with youre screen.

succes
    Another app causing the issue

Velis Auto brightness.

Too bad, because I liked this app. If anyone knows of an app like that that does not cause the issue, I would appreciate the name.

Zarlof