Price dropping and Resell value

Search This thread

unk3

Dec 28, 2007
So what started off as a 500$ unlocked (16gb) to 400$ and now to 300$ all in 5 months. [August Release Date]

What sort of resell value are we looking at before the Moto X2 comes out around august?? Im only curious because I would like to purchase this moto x unlocked phone now for 300 and sell around July/August.

At this rate, its looking like ~100$-125$? What do you guys think?

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
You should not consider a smartphone as an investment. It depend on how much more discount Google will give it. If the price stay the same, I would say if you keep it mint, my guess is $240.

You couldn't even buy a mint (international) Galaxy S2 for $125 and its 3 years old.

kirdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle
So what started off as a 500$ unlocked (16gb) to 400$ and now to 300$ all in 5 months. [August Release Date]

What sort of resell value are we looking at before the Moto X2 comes out around august?? Im only curious because I would like to purchase this moto x unlocked phone now for 300 and sell around July/August.

At this rate, its looking like ~100$-125$? What do you guys think?

Probably around $250 if you keep it in good condition.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

sicmadek

Nov 16, 2010
louisiana
I just sold my black Verizon branded x on swappa for $290. That right there bad for the $299 unlocked motomaker I just ordered.

unk3

Dec 28, 2007
You should not consider a smartphone as an investment. It depend on how much more discount Google will give it. If the price stay the same, I would say if you keep it mint, my guess is $240.

You couldn't even buy a mint (international) Galaxy S2 for $125 and its 3 years old.

I am not looking at this as an investment. I am simply need a temporary to use a 4G/LTE compatible phone because I am using ATT Iphone4s on Tmobile network, which is very spotty due to different bands (And lack of). I will probably look into a top tier phone like S5 or Iphone6 come July. I am just looking to buy one motox new (take care of it) then sell it and have it hopefully cost me 20-30$ a month on average.

Im happy everyones so optimistic that till still be near the 200$ range considering its only $300-330 now. Whats the best way to sell? Craigslist, ebay or Swappa? Thanks guys! :)

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
I am not looking at this as an investment. I am simply need a temporary to use a 4G/LTE compatible phone because I am using ATT Iphone4s on Tmobile network, which is very spotty due to different bands (And lack of). I will probably look into a top tier phone like S5 or Iphone6 come July. I am just looking to buy one motox new (take care of it) then sell it and have it hopefully cost me 20-30$ a month on average.

Im happy everyones so optimistic that till still be near the 200$ range considering its only $300-330 now. Whats the best way to sell? Craigslist, ebay or Swappa? Thanks guys! :)
Craiglist only if you carry a Remington 12 gauge for protection, otherwise Swappa is hassle free. You might be able to get a few dollars more from eBay, but they have lots of fees so in the end it's not worth it.

I think you should look to buy a phone as a keeper than just temp use. People have said Moto X feel faster than their Note 3 due to better software optimization. Seems like a waste if you're buying it just to use LTE temporarily.

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan

Why not a moto g?

Also IIRC ebay + paypal fees run about 13% on a phone I think - about $40 on a $300 sale? Swappa is $10 + paypal fees (3%) - about $19.

scottjb

Sep 11, 2010
Greensboro, NC
So what started off as a 500$ unlocked (16gb) to 400$ and now to 300$...

It actually started out at $600 for those who just can't wait when a new phone is released. :/ I've sold phones on eBay and Craigslist. As mentioned, you might get a little more from eBay but Craigslist is usually faster. Regarding the shotgun comment, always be sure to meet in a public place and don't give your description until you arrive. Most people are decent and just looking for the item you're selling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

phositadc

May 7, 2010
It's true though that the X has lost more value from release date in 6 months than nearly any other flagship I've ever seen. Yes that's because google and Motorola themselves have dropped the price. But even so, resell value for those who bought on release date has dropped well over 50% in 6 months. That's remarkable. Takes an iPhone about 2 years to lose that much value. Samsung and htc flagships don't drop that fast either, by a long shot.

detonation

Jan 20, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm thinking the major discounts are going to level off...I can't really see Moto selling this phone for less than $300. It's possible it might eventually hit $300 off contract as the standard price, but if you keep your phone in good condition, I would think you would be able to net $200 for it in the summer (so $220-230ish before fees/shipping). That's what I'm hoping at least...

D

Darth

I've never bothered selling an old phone....I gift them to family and friends that have even older phones. ;)

But, based on current prices of the Moto x, I'd say we won't be getting too much selling them used later. I've seen used nexus 4's for almost the same as used Moto x's.....

Guess we'll see later. :)

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
After I got the Moto X, I sold my previous phone (the HTC Rezound) on eBay for $80 (although I included 2 spare batteries, and had it S-OFF with an unlocked bootloader).

That phone was in rough shape, and heavily used. I think $100 will be the absolute minimum the Moto X would go for. A nice, thin 4G phone with great battery life? You won't get $250 in July, but it'll still hold up pretty well.

One problem I see is with bizarro color combinations, and the effect that will have on resale value.

D

Darth

After I got the Moto X, I sold my previous phone (the HTC Rezound) on eBay for $80 (although I included 2 spare batteries, and had it S-OFF with an unlocked bootloader).

That phone was in rough shape, and heavily used. I think $100 will be the absolute minimum the Moto X would go for. A nice, thin 4G phone with great battery life? You won't get $250 in July, but it'll still hold up pretty well.

One problem I see is with bizarro color combinations, and the effect that will have on resale value.

Never thought of that. LOL. Moto makers will be a tough sell. They'd have to like the color combination to even consider it. Personally if I saw a wood back phone in the classifieds, I'd be hitting the back button before I read a thing. No matter the price. Lol

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
Get a nexus 5. I was one of the first to buy. I just sold it on eBay for 399.95. It cost me about 50 bucks for a few months which basically was tax and shipping. Chances are you'll like it enough to keep it.

MotoX Developer Edition, Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted, Stock with tweaks!

erikiksaz

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
It's true though that the X has lost more value from release date in 6 months than nearly any other flagship I've ever seen. Yes that's because google and Motorola themselves have dropped the price. But even so, resell value for those who bought on release date has dropped well over 50% in 6 months. That's remarkable. Takes an iPhone about 2 years to lose that much value. Samsung and htc flagships don't drop that fast either, by a long shot.

Definitely not true. Prior to the price drops, 16GB Moto X's could be found on swappa for roughly 450 dollars. Roughly about the same price on ebay, but I was able to snag a very lucky BIN for $400 for a 16gb back in November.

If you look at the most recent sold listings on swappa, most of them are still in the $350 range, which is plenty good considering they had their huge fire sale for $350 a month ago AND the $300 sale the other day.

Phones that are usually subsidized by the carriers and that are actually POPULAR, like the HTC One or S4, usually sell for much less at this point in time. Look on swappa's listings of sold S4s, they're all low 300s. Granted the phone has been out longer, but that's nearly a 250-300 drop in value. The X's used price hasn't changed very much in comparison, given that Moto dropped the price over 150 dollars over the past couple months.

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
That my friend is supply and demand. There isn't an abundance of used x's like every other phone yet. I don't even think Motorola sold that many new lol. Up until a few days ago second hand was the only way to get them overseas. Now that's not the case so I still say the prices will drop, but you're still better buying and selling at full price than subsidizing with Verizon or at&t. Especially if you switch every few months.

For the op however, I reiterate... Nexus 5

MotoX Developer Edition, Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted, Stock with tweaks!

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Never thought of that. LOL. Moto makers will be a tough sell. They'd have to like the color combination to even consider it. Personally if I saw a wood back phone in the classifieds, I'd be hitting the back button before I read a thing. No matter the price. Lol

Say wut? This might be the only the chance to have a wood grain in your lifetime! Lol. I am knocking on wood come saturday!

sent from my sm-9005.

Last edited:
D

Darth

Say wut? This might be the only the chance to have a wood grain in your lifetime! Lol. I am knocking on wood come saturday!

sent from my sm-9005.

I want my technology to look ...um ....techy.....not like something out of Gilligan's island or spongebob. ;)

But to each their own. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can call it techy if you want, I call it mass produced plastic.