Wi-Fi Hotspot/ Tethering For Sprint Non-Activated LG G2 LS980 ZV7/ZV8/ZVA

Search This thread

pm.mohanani@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2013
Sangli
here is the the Way Enable / Visible the Tethering Option in LG G2 Sprint Non-Activated Device...

Mandatory Steps
1). Root Required
2). Root Explorer or Rom Tool Lite installed (with root Permissions)

Before Proceeding Please Unlock your phone with the Thread given below...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50477852
all Credits to ysabxe

Please Credit to the above & following
Also for Detailed Procedure
http://www.rimweb.in/forums/topic/36746-how-topermanent-unlock-sprint-lg-g2-ls980-for-gsm/
this link by pvinodnayak

After that

Just Download the rar file named 'Carrier'.
Unzip / unrar it to Your Notebook/System. You wil get a Folder named Carrier.
Copy it(Carrier Folder) with the Original 'Carrier' Folder that Present in the Device. if asks for Overwrite, Please Proceed with Pleasure.
& Here you can see the Option Enabled, without booting the phone... if not seen then Please Reboot, so as to Function Properly.

Pros: It works on LG G2 LS980 ZV7/ZV8/ZVA, &

Cons:Nothing...

"No Hope that all Works, but for SURE that ALL Works"

Attachments

• carrier.rar
    5.4 KB · Views: 5,209
Last edited:

pvinodnayak

Feb 10, 2012
Udupi
Sprint LS980 G2 phone does not have wifi hotspot out of the box.
its somehow enabled when the phone is activated in Sprint network.
Now i know this because in India i have a G2 by Sprint. its a not activated ever
on any network.
To enable the MOD jus extract the folder from the OP and use root explorer
to replace the stock carrier folder with the extracted one.
Your Wi-Fi Hotspot should be under Settings/More.
This mod also enables Bluetooth and USB tethering.
Very Important:
You have to replace the folder and not just its content, just replace the folder by copying from the download and pasting on top of the stock, when prompted to overwrite the folder, select yes.

RoM Toollite Box root explorer does not work, for some reason it makes a copy of the carrier folder in root instead of replacing it. use only Root Explorer

Last edited:

Torpedro1978

Oct 4, 2009
Salzburg (AT)
Hi, doesn't work for me out of the box. ZV8
Do we need to set permissions for the new folders/files?
I tried rw-r-r for the files, but still no thetering options.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

InFiD3ViL

Feb 10, 2013
Kinda confused as to what this does.

I already have the Wifi Hotspot 'unlock' that was posted here a while ago for the ZV8/ZVA.

But I am soon to be unlocking for either MetroPCS of T-Mobile, would this work for that, or am I way off base?

\What exactly does this do?

pvinodnayak

Feb 10, 2012
Udupi
This is for NON ACTIVATED SPRINT G2, brand new G2 won't have tethering in it. Only Sprint Activated phones have Wi-Fi Hotspot enabled in them. I'm from India, bought G2 Sprint LS980 brandnew which had never been activated on Sprint network. Did not have Wi-Fi Hotspot in the menu. This MOD enabled it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Now i know this because in India i have a G2 by Sprint. its a not activated ever
on any network.
Very Important:
You have to replace the folder and not just its content, just replace the folder by copying from the download and pasting on top of the stock, when prompted to overwrite the folder, select yes.

RoM Toollite Box root explorer does not work, for some reason it makes a copy of the carrier folder in root instead of replacing it. use only Root Explorer

The activation also configures Chameleon for the brand/carrier you're activating this under. By doing it this way Sprint was able to reduce the number of builds they were doing for MVNOs and just having customization made under this feature. One of the big things this sets are animations screens.

pvinodnayak

Feb 10, 2012
Udupi
The activation also configures Chameleon for the brand/carrier you're activating this under. By doing it this way Sprint was able to reduce the number of builds they were doing for MVNOs and just having customization made under this feature. One of the big things this sets are animations screens.

Yes sir, Did not want to get into Chameleon thing, to be frank we just compared files of Sprint Activated phone which had working Wi-Fi tethering, fiddled around and got this working. Till date nobody has been able to do that with SPRINT galaxy S4 SPH-L720, I have asked many to help here. Nobody could figure it out till date. With the G2 we, in fact it was only pm.mohanani@gmail.com who did it with his R&D, I only tested it. All credit goes to him.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

We will be glad if you simplify this MOD and make it work without activating the chameleon for the brand/carrier.

Last edited:

infirno77

May 2, 2012
So, has anyone tried this on the ls980? If so, does it work better than the hotspot mod we had?

pvinodnayak

Feb 10, 2012
Udupi
This is not something that improves already working hotspot. Brand-new G2 by Sprint does not have Wi-Fi Hotspot. This MOD is for those phones which a are activated or flashed to a different carrier out of the box. The Wi-Fi Hotspot is enabled only if the phone is activated on Sprint network. So this MOD is for those who do not I
Have Wi-Fi Hotspot enabled in their phones.

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Yes sir, Did not want to get into Chameleon thing, to be frank we just compared files of Sprint Activated phone which had working Wi-Fi tethering, fiddled around and got this working. Till date nobody has been able to do that with SPRINT galaxy S4 SPH-L720, I have asked many to help here. Nobody could figure it out till date. With the G2 we, in fact it was only pm.mohanani@gmail.com who did it with his R&D, I only tested it. All credit goes to him.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

We will be glad if you simplify this MOD and make it work without activating the chameleon for the brand/carrier.

I have yet to figure out how to repackage chameleon. Tried modifying it on Sammy N2 and S4 but that zip in cache.img is signed.

sunny4691

Nov 11, 2012
I did this mod and the tethering option is working perfectly :) , but after doing this mod the phone is showing sprint logo during shutdown and startup, earlier it displayed the LG logo only, any way to remove the sprint logo ?

mwuahjaan

Mar 14, 2012
Max users =1

I need to increase Max Users to more than 1 on my device. Will this Mod help. Wifi Hotspot is working fine on my phone without this mod. I am using is out of US and is on GSM network.

Thanks.

lipak

Mar 2, 2007
It doesn't work for me , can somebody help please.

I downloaded and replaced "Carrier" folder in the device using root exploerer.

Set permission to rwx rwx --x , rebooted .. no teethering option.

I did the same thing second time without setting any permission , rebooted ... No teethering option.

------- I see Sprint splash screen during boot up and shut down -------------

I am on stock ZVC.

Thanks

pvinodnayak

Feb 10, 2012
Udupi
Wi-Fi HotSpot Enable & Increase Max Users

Max users =1

I need to increase Max Users to more than 1 on my device. Will this Mod help. Wifi Hotspot is working fine on my phone without this mod. I am using is out of US and is on GSM network.

Thanks.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51923583

It doesn't work for me , can somebody help please.

I downloaded and replaced "Carrier" folder in the device using root exploerer.

Set permission to rwx rwx --x , rebooted .. no teethering option.

I did the same thing second time without setting any permission , rebooted ... No teethering option.

------- I see Sprint splash screen during boot up and shut down -------------

I am on stock ZVC.

Thanks

you are doing it wrong, simple copy the folder and reboot, do not change any permissions.

vriship

Apr 7, 2010
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51923583

you are doing it wrong, simple copy the folder and reboot, do not change any permissions.

Hi, i am on stock ZVC in india using GSM. non-activated sprint device which is not having hotspot option. Replaced the carrier folder with the one in your post using root explorer. hotspot option did not come up in settings/more or anywhere else in settings. any idea what else needs to be done?

pvinodnayak

Feb 10, 2012
Udupi
Well when you extract the carrier folder, it goes like this carrier/carrier/files you have to replace the second carrier folder, not the whole folder.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here is the the Way Enable / Visible the Tethering Option in LG G2 Sprint Non-Activated Device...

Mandatory Steps
    1). Root Required
    2). Root Explorer or Rom Tool Lite installed (with root Permissions)

Before Proceeding Please Unlock your phone with the Thread given below...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50477852
    all Credits to ysabxe

Please Credit to the above & following
    Also for Detailed Procedure
    http://www.rimweb.in/forums/topic/36746-how-topermanent-unlock-sprint-lg-g2-ls980-for-gsm/
    this link by pvinodnayak

After that

Just Download the rar file named 'Carrier'.
    Unzip / unrar it to Your Notebook/System. You wil get a Folder named Carrier.
    Copy it(Carrier Folder) with the Original 'Carrier' Folder that Present in the Device. if asks for Overwrite, Please Proceed with Pleasure.
    & Here you can see the Option Enabled, without booting the phone... if not seen then Please Reboot, so as to Function Properly.

Pros: It works on LG G2 LS980 ZV7/ZV8/ZVA, &

Cons:Nothing...

"No Hope that all Works, but for SURE that ALL Works"
    on any network.
    Very Important:

i'am trying using it in ZVC, but only bluetooth tethering active.
    i'm gsm unlock in indonesia

Replace the whole carrier folder. Once you unzip, copy the folder inside carrier folder. It's carrier.rar, so when unzipping it goes, carrier/carrier/files , so make sure you copy the one that's inside in the name of "carrier".

HOW TO

Extract the folder from the download and replace the stock carrier folder with the one you have extracted, use only Root Explorer
    Yes