Repaired Nexus 5

Search This thread

_BluE_AngeL_

Dec 13, 2011
Nürnberg
Hi! Yesterday I took my Nexus 5 on a trip on top of my car and he decided to take a jump to see what will happen... Anyway, after really exciting jump and after I've found him, he was pretty much destroyed, but still working. So, I ordered new display with side bezels and repaired him today. At first everything seemed to be working, but now WiFi and Bluetooth won't turn on. I've took the back panel off to make sure everything is OK, and then I could turn Bluetooth on. After putting everything together again, it won't turn on. And I saw that for some short period of time, just after I assembled the phone, it had WiFi. :-/
So, now I'm confused.

Is it possible to have software issue, or could it still be hardware?
How can I, anyway, check if everything works with hardware?

Btw. I'm still on stock unrooted ROM. (Wanted to see how it is to have a stable ROM after couple of years :) )

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

_BluE_AngeL_

Dec 13, 2011
Nürnberg
If anyone is interested how I saw the WiFi was on or how it shows now...
Here you are...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395854461317.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395854461317.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 183
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395854474989.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395854474989.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 174

_BluE_AngeL_

Dec 13, 2011
Nürnberg
And... For those interested in how it looks...

Shattered, new original display, assembled again

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395855010919.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395855010919.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 5,787
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395855024026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395855024026.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 212
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395855035156.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395855035156.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 205

chimmychenga

Dec 7, 2013
Moon
Hi! Yesterday I took my Nexus 5 on a trip on top of my car and he decided to take a jump to see what will happen... Anyway, after really exciting jump and after I've found him, he was pretty much destroyed, but still working. So, I ordered new display with side bezels and repaired him today. At first everything seemed to be working, but now WiFi and Bluetooth won't turn on. I've took the back panel off to make sure everything is OK, and then I could turn Bluetooth on. After putting everything together again, it won't turn on. And I saw that for some short period of time, just after I assembled the phone, it had WiFi. :-/
So, now I'm confused.

Is it possible to have software issue, or could it still be hardware?
How can I, anyway, check if everything works with hardware?

Btw. I'm still on stock unrooted ROM. (Wanted to see how it is to have a stable ROM after couple of years :) )

i'm 99 percent sure it's hardware. software is flashed into chips so that cannot be the issue. it's hard to find out yourself wich part is broken.:( the best thing you can do is send it to your seller or a near phone shop.;)

xXghostXx313

Jul 15, 2012
Did the screen flicker what so ever? This happen to me because the screen was not original and I end up sending it back to the seller. Where did you get your screen from? You might have broke something when assemble.

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
wow! That's what I would call a well shattered screen.
I would suggest you to take it apart again if that's not too hard to do, blow the logic board in case some particles are rolling on it and reassemble it. It could do the trick eventually. Re-flashing stock Rom shouldn't be ignored. At least on a PC, a driver can get corrupted when a laptop falls.

xXghostXx313

Jul 15, 2012
wow! That's what I would call a well shattered screen.
I would suggest you to take it apart again if that's not too hard to do, blow the logic board in case some particles are rolling on it and reassemble it. It could do the trick eventually. Re-flashing stock Rom shouldn't be ignored. At least on a PC, a driver can get corrupted when a laptop falls.

This was my screen lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395868094916.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395868094916.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 123

_BluE_AngeL_

Dec 13, 2011
Nürnberg
I was thinking that too, but why it worked for some time then...
Maybe some of the connections are not connected well.

I'll try to see it one more time tomorrow...

_BluE_AngeL_

Dec 13, 2011
Nürnberg
I ordered my screen from vodafone repair service in Nürnberg, Germany and it came the day after. (It costs 140€, and if you want the repair too, then it's 199€. Not very happy about the price...) My replace screen is original from LG and works perfectly. I have to say- maybe even better than the old one. No flickering whatsoever. Backlight is also a bit better because it is equally divided over the screen. Plus, the bezels had new buttons on it, and now has smaller holes on the bottom and power button doesn't rattle any more. From the outside, only the back cover now has two small scratches. :( everything else is great.

I'm pretty much sure that something didn't connected correctly because sometimes bluetooth works. Tomorrow I'll disassemble it again and see.

Last edited:

xXghostXx313

Jul 15, 2012
Maybe its better to send it to lg for repairs? That's what I'm planning to do. I bought my replacement screen for 150 and it was just hell because so many issues. That's the same price for a repair by lg. Im going to sent it to lg soon but not yet because I been to lazy lol.

_BluE_AngeL_

Dec 13, 2011
Nürnberg
The service wanted to charge me almost 60€ more for their work, plus they said that they would most probably reflash the ROM and I would lose all my data...
And I only wanted to save my data. So, for me, this is the best solution.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Sounds like the antennas are not contacting properly. Seems it can happen to anyone upon removing the backplate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

_BluE_AngeL_

Dec 13, 2011
Nürnberg
I've just disassembled it and reassembled again. Everything looks good. All connections are good and nothing seems to be loose.
I even tried to press the back panel around the camera lens to make a better contact with the antenna, but still nothing.
Looks like this in the WiFi settings...

So, actually, I think it's a software problem and am going to root it now and flash the new ROM.

After that we'll see.
If there isn't any success after that, you all know where to find spare parts for your Nexus 5. :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395942300432.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395942300432.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 55

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
I've just disassembled it and reassembled again. Everything looks good. All connections are good and nothing seems to be loose.
I even tried to press the back panel around the camera lens to make a better contact with the antenna, but still nothing.

So, actually, I think it's a software problem and am going to root it now and flash the new ROM.

After that we'll see.
If there isn't any success after that, you all know where to find spare parts for your Nexus 5. :)

Hope it's just software issue, reflash stock after unlocking bootloader http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701

Reactions: _BluE_AngeL_

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

After that we'll see.

Hope it's just software issue, reflash stock after unlocking bootloader http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701