Upgrade Conundrum? Dx2 to Razr Maxx

Search This thread

SuBDivisions

Feb 6, 2008
Hey guys, as always i first would like to offer my praise and sincere admiration to everyone who has and continues to work on the Dx2. You are ALL amazing and the work you do has had me enjoying this phone ever since i have gotten it..

That being said, my dx2 is a company phone.. they pay for it and all its accessories and monthly cost etc.. So my big boss wanted to upgrade from his blackberry so he got a Razr Maxx. He can't get use to it and (to LOL) its incompatible with the bluetooth in his Mercedes (don't u WISH u had that problem)..

So anyway, he is offering me to take the Maxx (for Free).. Now i have to say, I have CM7 on my X2, and honestly i LOVE it.. Its Fast, It works, it never crashes.. I ask it to do something, and it does it.

Now yes, the Maxx is 4G, with supposedly insane battery life. I have read i think there is ics for it now too.. I dunno..

Question is.. Do i take the upgrade and lose MY upgrade (January 2013), to which a quad core or the s3 will be out then, or do i take the Maxx now?

Ill admit I'm leaning on keeping my x2.. I really have no issues with it (and I'm on Long Island with is excellent 4G)..

king..kranium

Jan 30, 2012
Mamou
Well. I'd go razr cuz they just did a bootloader workaround. Forget quad core. They can hardly utilize the second core on our x2 and you want 2 more? But you could wait and boycott Motorola ...

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

three west

Dec 28, 2009
Madison, WI
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 6
I'd probably jump on the razr, its a known winner.
Its the success story that we had hoped the X2 and/or Bionic would have been

if you wait and bet on a new model before its proven you have the potential to pick a phone with less dev support.

thelowend

Jan 31, 2012
The cold part of Ohio
Razr Maxx. That phone is looking better and better to me every day. Why? My dad has it and his 4g, kexec'ed phone whoops the **** out of my X2

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

CadenH

Sep 26, 2011
January is a long way away or I would say to wait it out. Why would your upgrade change if the phone is already purchased? Anyway, the maxx has great battery life, 4g, kexec, and an ics leak, that sounds like a nice combo to me. On the negative side its moto and by 2013 the phones will dwarf the razr. You have a tough decision on your hands. I just hope you get away from this phone eventually. Im starting to hate it more and more. (Not trying to be negative just speaking my mind)

Sent from my MB870 using xda premium

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
If he gives you a phone, why would you lose your upgrade date? I've changed my activated phone (broke my DX, bought a DX2 off Craigslist) and my upgrade date stayed the same.

LordRalh3

Jul 23, 2011
Minnesota
You should be able to activate his phone on your number and save the upgrade for something badass quadcore style

from my X2 roaming the north

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
You should be able to activate his phone on your number and save the upgrade for something badass quadcore style

from my X2 roaming the north

What a NICE boss! :D Btw, why did he pick u over and above so many employees? Are u the ONLY employee under him? Btw,you could wait for the S3 or some other phone. But since it is a company phone will ur company allow u to buy any phone or they decide what phone u'll get?

Yes the S3 is probably a quad core phone (rumor has it that in US it will be dual core just like the HTC One XL thingy) or you can get the next nexus, but Jan is a long way. There are ALWAYS better phones round the corner. You have to just pick your poison and stick with it... And the Maxx is one of the best. Of course, I will NOT go for it purely on principle, NO MOTOROLA for me anymore! But you should decide if the Maxx will do ALL you want from a phone for the next 2 years or so. I believe it will... :cool:

Last edited:

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
Well, I'm one that went from the DX2 to the Razr Maxx. I'm also one that said no more Moto phones for me again. I guess I lied. When I first upgraded, I tried the other side and found out that the old saying "the grass is greener on the other side" doesn't hold true with these phones. The phone I bought (HTC Rezound) missed probably 4 out of 5 calls I received. It just didn't ring. Needless to say I can't have that. It is after all, first and foremost a phone. If it doesn't ring when you get a call, all the unlocked bootloaders in the world aren't worth having. Moto hardware is tough to beat.

So, with that said, yeah, I like the phone. There's lots of roms available for it. Yes, ICS roms are there too. They do have their quirks though. Much like CM7 for the DX2. I'm running Eclipse on it right now but from what I remember, the problems with it that were most noticeable were things like the camcorder not working (no Moto drivers available) and a Bluetooth issue. Bluetooth works fine but if you turn off the Bluetooth device you're using off and forget to turn Bluetooth off on the phone, and then make a call or somebody calls you, you won't hear them and they can't hear you. Seems to me that mine wouldn't even ring but it's been a while so I don't remember for sure. The easy fix is to turn off Bluetooth when you aren't using it. Also, and this was kind of the one issue that made me leave it, data can be iffy at times. I tried several of them (Gummy and Black Widow being the best for me) and had problems with data being dropped. Only time I had troubles with it was when I was in a weak area but a lot of my work is in areas like that and it would get quite frustrating. However, it seems to be a hit and miss thing. Some people have absolutely no problems with data on those two roms, others have the problems I have. I suspect it depends on the signal but others say they don't have problems even with a weak signal so; who knows?

I have no doubt though that when the ICS upgrade comes, those issues will be fixed with the new kernal that comes with it. The phone is free. You'd be a fool not to jump on it. It shouldn't change your upgrade path since you didn't buy it so you really have nothing to lose. If you don't like it, activate your X2 again, unless of course, you have to give that up to get this one. If that's the case, well, I'd still go for the Maxx.

One more thought. For the Razr and Razr Maxx, if it's a CDMA phone, XDA isn't the best place to find roms, mods or what have you, for it. Most of the stuff here is for the GSM version of the phone. There's a website out there that's pretty much totally devoted to the Razr. They have far more stuff there for the CDMA phone than you can get here. Don't know what the policies are here for posting links to other forums so I guess I'll leave it out. If you get it and want a link, PM me.

antp121

Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
Hey guys, as always i first would like to offer my praise and sincere admiration to everyone who has and continues to work on the Dx2. You are ALL amazing and the work you do has had me enjoying this phone ever since i have gotten it..

That being said, my dx2 is a company phone.. they pay for it and all its accessories and monthly cost etc.. So my big boss wanted to upgrade from his blackberry so he got a Razr Maxx. He can't get use to it and (to LOL) its incompatible with the bluetooth in his Mercedes (don't u WISH u had that problem)..

So anyway, he is offering me to take the Maxx (for Free).. Now i have to say, I have CM7 on my X2, and honestly i LOVE it.. Its Fast, It works, it never crashes.. I ask it to do something, and it does it.

Now yes, the Maxx is 4G, with supposedly insane battery life. I have read i think there is ics for it now too.. I dunno..

Question is.. Do i take the upgrade and lose MY upgrade (January 2013), to which a quad core or the s3 will be out then, or do i take the Maxx now?

Ill admit I'm leaning on keeping my x2.. I really have no issues with it (and I'm on Long Island with is excellent 4G)..

are you sure youd lose your upgrade? if hes giving it to you, you wont lose it.

meskes

Feb 7, 2012
Tucson
Yeah, your upgrade is based on your contract, not your phone. If you get a phone from a third party and you have it lit on your line, you won't lose the upgrade. This is coming from a former tier 2 billing support rep. ;-) enjoy your new phones.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA

SuBDivisions

Feb 6, 2008
Hey sorry for my delay in response, been busy..

Ok the Reason i would "Lose" my upgrade is because we here are all on a corporate verizon contract. We have lets say 10-12 employees under this contract, and the owners and higher ups also have their wives and kids under the contract as well.. so that now becomes like 30 people.. They upgrade phones so often that they "Take" an upgrade for one line and use it for another etc..

So if I take the Maxx, my boss will "Take" my upgrade to use for HIS next phone, in effect taking away my upgrade.. Now that being said, i (not trying to toot my horn) am a very valueable employee here (I'm the CIO/Network Admin, in an IT Department of 1, aka ME) so I get treated Very well, for example my boss who is the owner of the company and the only person i report too 3 weeks ago just Gave me his 64G 3G Ipad2 because he got an Ipad3, and i didnt even ask nor want one.. I wont even mention the Corporate Gas card. :) x 10000

But now you know my conumdrum. He has the Razer Maxx now, and he LOATHES it. He is a very simplistic user, and he is staying on his blackberry (if you can believe that), so he said he is waiting for some friend to give him a new blackberry and he is supposedly gonna pass the Maxx off to me.. So i will have the Maxx, and the X2 at my disposal.

To the nice dude who said about the roms and such on other sites, i thank you, you can pm me any info you have, i would have googled and found them anyway, but if you know where the goods are it can save me some time.

I think part of my trepedation on the Maxx is honestly CM7 on the X2 is faster i will say that. The UI and snappiness of the phone over the Motoblurred Crapola on the Maxx just is a breeze and to me Much faster... Now obviouslyi would blitz the hell out of the maxx and insall some ICS variant on it, and i know the Maxx is getting the ICS upgrade, but is the ICS roms for it TRUE ICS? Or Emulated ICS?

I swore my next phone would have complete UI Hardware Acceleration, as smooth as the iphone, and i know ICS brings that, but only in its True form.

Thanks for all the replies tho, you guys/gals are the best.

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
I think part of my trepedation on the Maxx is honestly CM7 on the X2 is faster i will say that. The UI and snappiness of the phone over the Motoblurred Crapola on the Maxx just is a breeze and to me Much faster... Now obviouslyi would blitz the hell out of the maxx and insall some ICS variant on it, and i know the Maxx is getting the ICS upgrade, but is the ICS roms for it TRUE ICS? Or Emulated ICS?

I swore my next phone would have complete UI Hardware Acceleration, as smooth as the iphone, and i know ICS brings that, but only in its True form.

Good to know why your upgrade will be gone! It makes sense and clarifies a mystery. The Razr Maxx will get ICS and it will be proper ICS (hopefully with the 3.0 kernel and even if not, the kernel it will use WILL have all drivers for hardware). Of course, this version of ICS will have Motorola's trademark crapware on top, but still it is ICS. I dunno what you mean by "emulated ICS".. Did you mean something like Samsung Galaxy S's "ICS-like value pack" (which is Gingerbread with some of ICS's features, kinda like CM 7.2)? If so, then rest assured that Razr Maxx WILL get ICS. Period. And it is rootable + it has great ROMs and a lot of devs. I must say I do admire the build quality of Motorola. The phones are sturdy and rock solid. My X2 was a rock. It could handle falls and the body felt premium and it doesn't make squeaks when you press it. My Dinc2's plastic back panel makes some squeaks and noises when I hold the phone, and it feels cheaper in quality.

So, the Razr Maxx is a pretty good phone. It has its caveats, it is locked down and Moto may stop supporting it once their next flagship phone arrives, ditching it like it did with the X2... Keep this in mind, when weighing the phone's pros and cons. I say wait till tomorrow when Samsung is gonna unveil the Galaxy S3. If it comes on Verizon and it is a beast (which it should) then hold out for that. Else go for this!!

Cheers! \m/

Watercycle

May 11, 2011
Manhattan
hehe, personally now I'd take a WM7 phone by any maker (as long as it is reasonable) over anything Motorola produces.

But honestly, to me, it's Verizon, I have absolutely no expectations of any of the other impressive phones. their top 3, (maxx ~ evil moto, nexus, iphone ~ evil apple)

No one X for us, no samsung note, no good sony phones, no galaxy SII, no Titan II with a super impressive camera, etc.

Anyways, might as well just take the Maxx for now, they get development love, and you don't have to worry about battery life, also your next upgrade after it would be promised quad core and most likely software that could utilize it better than dual core currently is XD

CadenH

Sep 26, 2011
Hey sorry for my delay in response, been busy..

Ok the Reason i would "Lose" my upgrade is because we here are all on a corporate verizon contract. We have lets say 10-12 employees under this contract, and the owners and higher ups also have their wives and kids under the contract as well.. so that now becomes like 30 people.. They upgrade phones so often that they "Take" an upgrade for one line and use it for another etc..

So if I take the Maxx, my boss will "Take" my upgrade to use for HIS next phone, in effect taking away my upgrade.. Now that being said, i (not trying to toot my horn) am a very valueable employee here (I'm the CIO/Network Admin, in an IT Department of 1, aka ME) so I get treated Very well, for example my boss who is the owner of the company and the only person i report too 3 weeks ago just Gave me his 64G 3G Ipad2 because he got an Ipad3, and i didnt even ask nor want one.. I wont even mention the Corporate Gas card. :) x 10000

But now you know my conumdrum. He has the Razer Maxx now, and he LOATHES it. He is a very simplistic user, and he is staying on his blackberry (if you can believe that), so he said he is waiting for some friend to give him a new blackberry and he is supposedly gonna pass the Maxx off to me.. So i will have the Maxx, and the X2 at my disposal.

To the nice dude who said about the roms and such on other sites, i thank you, you can pm me any info you have, i would have googled and found them anyway, but if you know where the goods are it can save me some time.

Its an actual official ics leak, kernel and all. Aparrently motorola got ics right according to some, but it hardly makes up for their business practices.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium