[SOUNDS][CWM] Android Sounds Compilation - Flashable - v1.5.3 (29/04/2015)

Search This thread
Hello everyone,

I spent some time extracting ROMs and having a look at their sound files to make a compilation of my own. I also gathered a small list of sounds from freesound.org and added them in.

After countless hours of searching, choosing, reorganising, renaming and tagging, I put together most of the ringtones, alarms and notifications coming from Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc. I omitted quite a few, because I followed some strict rules to make the set as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

Some highlights regarding the content :
  • Most AOSP sounds up to KitKat
  • Most Samsung, Motorola, HTC and LG sounds
  • Fallout Level Up sound, Katniss whistle sound from Hunger Games, Bombay Sapphire advertisement music, etc...

The rules of selection were :
  • No licenced music
  • No lyrics
  • Audible sounds, focused on treble rather than bass (for phone speakers)
  • No high-pitched horrors (CyanogenMod, I'm looking at you)

What does this package do?
  • It removes all ringtones, notifications and alarms from your device
  • It replaces them with this rather large compilation, most likely containing the sound files that were previously erased
  • It sets the right permissions so that sounds are playable
  • It prevents duplicate sounds

All right, but technically speaking, what does this package do?
  • rm -rf /system/media/audio/ringtones /system/media/audio/alarms /system/media/audio/notifications
  • Package extracted to /system
  • chmod -R 644 /system/media/audio/ringtones /system/media/audio/alarms /system/media/audio/notifications

Why not just put those sounds in the SDCard?
Well, for one I like to keep my SDCard as clean as possible. Also, you'll end up with duplicates conflicting with the sounds already present in /system/media and I have no patience to weed them out systematically. Plus, I really like the idea of flashing a ROM, then flash this package right over it to replace the default sounds. As I said, most of the stock sounds from Google, HTC, Samsung et al. are in the package already.

Isn't this going to blow up my system partition?
I tried it on a Galaxy Gio with CM10 and /system still had several megabytes free. The package can be flashed on most devices, I believe, but exceptions can occur if you are the proud owner of a device with a very small system partition.

Screw your damn package, I don't have enough space and/or I am not about to root my phone to flash this stuff!
No problem, you can still download it and extract the Notifications, Alarms and Ringtones directories to your SDCard. The ringtones will be visible by your phone/tablet either instantly or upon the next media scan. Keep in mind it's very likely you'll get duplicates, and if it annoys you, you can always weed them out with a file explorer.

Are you going to update this package?
Yes, occasionally, when I hear something cool and fit to be used as a phone or tablet sound. I do this mostly for myself, but I thought I could share for those who don't like to spend time sorting out their notifications and ringtones...

Can I add stuff to the package?
Yes, definitely. Just use a decent program like 7zip to open the file, and add stuff to whichever directory in system/media. It will be treated by the script just like any other file.

Can I suggest new sounds?
Of course, I'd be happy to add anything that sounds cool. However, I will still veto horrible stuff - I know it's subjective, so if you really need it please see the question above.

Enough talk, where can I get it?
Here - Big enough for you?

Don't hesitate to provide me with suggestions, feedback, remarks, insults, etc.

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
--

Last edited:

Ariesdroid

May 18, 2012
Saskatune
ariesmusic.bandcamp.com

Hello everyone,

I spent some time extracting ROMs and having a look at their sound files to make a compilation of my own. I also gathered a small list of sounds from freesound.org and added them in.

After countless hours of searching, choosing, reorganising, renaming and tagging, I put together most of the ringtones, alarms and notifications coming from Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc. I omitted quite a few, because I followed some strict rules to make the set as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

• Fallout Level Up sound, Katniss whistle sound from Hunger Games, Bombay Sapphire advertisement music, etc...

• No licenced music
  • No lyrics

• It replaces them with this rather large compilation, most likely containing the sound files that were previously erased

• rm -rf /system/media/audio/ringtones /system/media/audio/alarms /system/media/audio/notifications
  • chmod -R 644 /system/media/audio/ringtones /system/media/audio/alarms /system/media/audio/notifications

Well, for one I like to keep my SDCard as clean as possible. Also, you'll end up with duplicates conflicting with the sounds already present in /system/media and I have no patience to weed them out systematically. Plus, I really like the idea of flashing a ROM, then flash this package right over it to replace the default sounds. As I said, most of the stock sounds from Google, HTC, Samsung et al. are in the package already.

I tried it on a Galaxy Gio with CM10 and /system still had several megabytes free. The package can be flashed on most devices, I believe, but exceptions can occur if you are the proud owner of a device with a very small system partition.

Screw your damn package, I don't have enough space and/or I am not about to root my phone to flash this stuff!
No problem, you can still download it and extract the Notifications, Alarms and Ringtones directories to your SDCard. The ringtones will be visible by your phone/tablet either instantly or upon the next media scan. Keep in mind it's very likely you'll get duplicates, and if it annoys you, you can always weed them out with a file explorer.

Yes, occasionally, when I hear something cool and fit to be used as a phone or tablet sound. I do this mostly for myself, but I thought I could share for those who don't like to spend time sorting out their notifications and ringtones...

Yes, definitely. Just use a decent program like 7zip to open the file, and add stuff to whichever directory in system/media. It will be treated by the script just like any other file.

Of course, I'd be happy to add anything that sounds cool. However, I will still veto horrible stuff - I know it's subjective, so if you really need it please see the question above.

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
--

This got me really excited as I have been trying to figure out a way to get my sounds into our ROM...

I edited the zip and added my ogg sounds and flashed and it didn't change anything?

So I tried flashing your zip as is and it also didn't change anything?? What am I doing wrong? Its flashing fine...but everything is still the same upon reboot...?

any help would be great as I want to figure out how to make this work...I noticed you have CWM in brackets in the OP...Is it not compatible with aosp based ROMs??

Reactions: dark'em
This got me really excited as I have been trying to figure out a way to get my sounds into our ROM...

I edited the zip and added my ogg sounds and flashed and it didn't change anything?

So I tried flashing your zip as is and it also didn't change anything?? What am I doing wrong? Its flashing fine...but everything is still the same upon reboot...?

any help would be great as I want to figure out how to make this work...I noticed you have CWM in brackets in the OP...Is it not compatible with aosp based ROMs??

All right, I have redone the script using busybox instead of mounting proprietary partitions. Re-download and try it out, it worked well on my Galaxy Note 2.

dave2metz

Oct 10, 2010
Clearwater, Florida
Hey there. Thanks for the great sounds package. So can I just flash this on top of my current rom? I have a Nexus 5 running SlimKat 4.4.2. I wasn't sure if this is meant to be flashed right after a fresh rom install...Also, can I use TWRP Recovery instead of CWM? Thanks a lot!

Ariesdroid

May 18, 2012
Saskatune
ariesmusic.bandcamp.com

Yes. Fortunately it's rather easy to install.
Indeed...thanks so much for this! Its working perfect.

I have a weird issue though. I've created about 15 notifications and 20 ringtones and I have them named. When I copy them into the zip they are still named properly, but when I open up the sound options in the rom, they show up as long numbers.... like a ringtone called Groove is showing as 1626253535446353500005353. lol. Do you have any idea why that would happen?? I know its something to do with my files. I edited the sounds in cool edit, exported as .mp3 and then converted them to .ogg ....the strangest thing is some of them stay named properly and some of them turn into the long numbers??

that's the last thing I need to figure out in order to make this perfect. The sounds still play fine...its just kind of annoying that the names don't show up properly...

Hey there. Thanks for the great sounds package. So can I just flash this on top of my current rom? I have a Nexus 5 running SlimKat 4.4.2. I wasn't sure if this is meant to be flashed right after a fresh rom install...Also, can I use TWRP Recovery instead of CWM? Thanks a lot!

Yes, flash it on top of anything fresh or not fresh. Keep in mind this is a replacement package, which means it will delete all of your ringtones, alarms and notifications! It will replace them with what's included in the package. As I said above, if you wish to add any custom files, just open the zip and put anything you want (.ogg or .mp3 only) in the appropriate directories.

Indeed...thanks so much for this! Its working perfect.

I have a weird issue though. I've created about 15 notifications and 20 ringtones and I have them named. When I copy them into the zip they are still named properly, but when I open up the sound options in the rom, they show up as long numbers.... like a ringtone called Groove is showing as 1626253535446353500005353. lol. Do you have any idea why that would happen?? I know its something to do with my files. I edited the sounds in cool edit, exported as .mp3 and then converted them to .ogg ....the strangest thing is some of them stay named properly and some of them turn into the long numbers??

that's the last thing I need to figure out in order to make this perfect. The sounds still play fine...its just kind of annoying that the names don't show up properly...

Android will use file names as a last resort. Instead, it reads the file's ID3 Tag (for mp3) or Vorbis Comments (for ogg). All my files has been properly tagged. I suspect your files have bad comments.

Download this free program, mp3tag. It is extremely useful, and not just for ringtones. Put all of your custom files in the same directory and open that directory with mp3tag... I'm pretty sure that despite your clean file names, the tags are all messed up. :laugh:

As usual, keep me posted. And if you have any sound suggestions, I'm also all ears. ;)

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
--

Ariesdroid

May 18, 2012
Saskatune
ariesmusic.bandcamp.com
Yes, flash it on top of anything fresh or not fresh. Keep in mind this is a replacement package, which means it will delete all of your ringtones, alarms and notifications! It will replace them with what's included in the package. As I said above, if you wish to add any custom files, just open the zip and put anything you want (.ogg or .mp3 only) in the appropriate directories.

Android will use file names as a last resort. Instead, it reads the file's ID3 Tag (for mp3) or Vorbis Comments (for ogg). All my files has been properly tagged. I suspect your files have bad comments.

Download this free program, mp3tag. It is extremely useful, and not just for ringtones. Put all of your custom files in the same directory and open that directory with mp3tag... I'm pretty sure that despite your clean file names, the tags are all messed up. :laugh:

As usual, keep me posted. And if you have any sound suggestions, I'm also all ears. ;)

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
--

Hmmm...So what exactly do I have to do to tag them properly? Is it that part of the program where you stamp them? I tried renaming them and stamping them all and they are still showing up as huge numbers even though I removed the huge numbers and replaced them with the tone name? confused...lol...im brand new to these types of files....do I have to buy a tag?? I just don't understand how some of them are working and showing up fine and others aren't...when I edited them all in the same program and exported and converted them all the same way....

Hmmm...So what exactly do I have to do to tag them properly? Is it that part of the program where you stamp them? I tried renaming them and stamping them all and they are still showing up as huge numbers even though I removed the huge numbers and replaced them with the tone name? confused...lol...im brand new to these types of files....do I have to buy a tag?? I just don't understand how some of them are working and showing up fine and others aren't...when I edited them all in the same program and exported and converted them all the same way....

You know what, just attach the problematic file here and I'll have a look at what's wrong with it.

Ariesdroid

May 18, 2012
Saskatune
ariesmusic.bandcamp.com
I think i figured it out already...I bought a sample pack that i used to make some of the sounds...I just edited them shorter and then then bounced them as wavs...its only files that used those sounds that aren't naming properly...think I'm just gonna scrap them and sample/edit my own instead...thx though

Sent from my unknown using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thereal_bigjake

Sep 17, 2012
Centralia
Awesome man! Thanks for this. I made my notification sound the chewy toy sound and it drives my black lab pup nuts! Every time she hears it she goes and finds her squeaky toy to make sure it's still there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

G

GuestD0701

Tks for this!! :)

Jfltespr-Liquid Smooth nightly

Last edited:

TLK3

Jan 10, 2013
Love this. Thanks so much for your work. I'm so picky about properly named / tagged files. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

• No licenced music
    • No lyrics

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
    --

Hello everyone,

• No licenced music
    • No lyrics

Cheers,

Antonius Maximus.
    --

@AntoniusMaximus
    Is this package still maintained?:confused:

Well I still use it everytime I flash a ROM... ;)

But it's true I haven't uploaded a new version in ages. I should probably get to it.

EDIT : Done. Check first page, link is back online.
    download link not work!

It does work, I just downloaded it. Try again.