What I'd like to see in an update thread

Search This thread

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
Every time a new version update comes out there is always lots of threads on how to get it, how to root it, when it will come...etc. Unfortunately, there is rarely any mention of exactly what changes the new version brings and whether or not it is worth updating. Seems like so many in here are more interested in just having the latest version of Android and not with what actual improvements might come with it. Being that upgrade paths for the i537 aren't exactly simple (compared to previous phones I had that did not have locked bootloaders) could someone perhaps give us a rundown of what's new and improved in 4.4.2 to make it worth the trouble of upgrading? I am on rooted stock 4.2 with a ton of frozen system apps and before I go through the trouble to get the OTA I would like to assess if it is worth it. Also, will I first have to get the OTA of 4.3 before I will get the 4.4.2 update and if I do should I just wait to root until I have the latest version? Thank you!

Every time a new version update comes out there is always lots of threads on how to get it, how to root it, when it will come...etc. Unfortunately, there is rarely any mention of exactly what changes the new version brings and whether or not it is worth updating. Seems like so many in here are more interested in just having the latest version of Android and not with what actual improvements might come with it. Being that upgrade paths for the i537 aren't exactly simple (compared to previous phones I had that did not have locked bootloaders) could someone perhaps give us a rundown of what's new and improved in 4.4.2 to make it worth the trouble of upgrading? I am on rooted stock 4.2 with a ton of frozen system apps and before I go through the trouble to get the OTA I would like to assess if it is worth it. Also, will I first have to get the OTA of 4.3 before I will get the 4.4.2 update and if I do should I just wait to root until I have the latest version? Thank you!

You will have to flash the ML2 Odin package to be able to get the OTA for NC9 to install. Personally I would wait a couple weeks since it seems like they're getting very close to unlocking the bootloader.

To answer your question about the 4.4.2 update, I've posted the changelogs from both AT&T and Samsung in this thread. If you really want a rundown of what the 4.4.2 update will look like, just look at the regular S4. There are slight UI changes between the S4 and S4A, but you'll get the overall impression.

Reactions: Miami_Son
Wait, you're saying we might finally get an unlocked bootloader??

From what I understand yes. At worst it looks like they will be able to develop a patch that may not unlock the bootloader, but will allow us to flash any ROM with any kernel, effectively the same as if the bootloader was unlocked. There are still some things that are over my head, but everybody seems super excited about this latest development.

If you want to read about what is going on, read these threads (they actually reference each other):
These are developer threads so try not to clog them up unless you have something to contribute.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You will have to flash the ML2 Odin package to be able to get the OTA for NC9 to install. Personally I would wait a couple weeks since it seems like they're getting very close to unlocking the bootloader.

To answer your question about the 4.4.2 update, I've posted the changelogs from both AT&T and Samsung in this thread. If you really want a rundown of what the 4.4.2 update will look like, just look at the regular S4. There are slight UI changes between the S4 and S4A, but you'll get the overall impression.