[Q] Videos recorded in .3gp format... or .Mp4?

Search This thread
I just read the Phone arena review for the SGS2:

Here are the PROS and CONS:

PROS

Significantly improved Super AMOLED Plus display
The best handset for recording and watching Full HD video
The dual-core Exynos chipset meets and exceeds the benchmarks in its peer group
Future-proof collection of connectivity options
CONS

Design could be a bit more differentiating
Automatic screen brightness adjustments are not smooth
Motion sensor-powered gestures could see more practical usage

They gave it 9/10 :)

However, they say this in the review:

The Full HD 1080p video is one the best we've seen from a phone, largely due to the fluid 30fps it's captured with, and the good amount of detail. Granted, we've only seen retail 1080p samples from the LG Optimus 2X for now, which shoots with 24fps. The Samsung Galaxy S II records video in the .3GP format - we’d rather have .MP4 files, but you’d be able to record just one hour of Full HD 1080p video to the user-available internal memory, not the hour and a half you can now.

Can the people who have got the phone confirm this? all the previous reviews suggested that the phone can record video in .mp4 format that too at a very good bitrate.

Can someone please clarify??

Thanks in advance.

My first thread in XDA!! YAY!

Last edited:

touness69

Jul 23, 2008
Lyon
Wow
Can someone that have the GSII confirm wether video recorded by this phone are in 3Gp or in mp4 format ?
I'm dying to know the truth

maddog5k

Apr 22, 2011
Cardiff
MP4 format, at least they are from mine :)

Yep I second this, however when I look at the format of the video on my phone it says 3gg, but when viewed from kies it states it's a mp4. My phone also indicates that I have 1.5 hours at 1080p, so I can confirm that too.
To be honest you should use 720 res. The autofocus is a bit laggy in 1080 when moving the camera about.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

JGS2

Aug 8, 2011
MP4 format, at least they are from mine :)

Mine shows as 3gpp.

Why are people saying it records in mp4, if you go to the details of the video it shows as 3gpp.

Ok this is weird, it shows as 3gpp on the phone but when I transfer it to pc it shows as mp4.

When I download a video from youtube though it shows as mp4 on the phone though

Last edited:

TheMegastar

Jun 18, 2011
The recording is in Mp4 format

Mine shows as 3gpp.

Why are people saying it records in mp4, if you go to the details of the video it shows as 3gpp.

Ok this is weird, it shows as 3gpp on the phone but when I transfer it to pc it shows as mp4.

When I download a video from youtube though it shows as mp4 on the phone though

Which country was your phone manufactured in? Mine is recording very well in .mp4 format. Thank you. Made by Samsung in China.