Upgraded Keyboard Dock now won't charge!

Search This thread

viking43

Jan 5, 2009
Just received my RMA'd dock back from Grapevine. They turned it around in 1 day, but broke it in the process. The MobileDock Battery saving mode now works perfectly, but no matter what, the dock will not charge the tablet. I have the dual battery widget, and it shows the tablet at 47% and not charging, the dock is at 99% and charging.

The tablet charges fine when I plug the charger directly into it, and I've carefully blown out and inspected all connections - no dust, no bent contacts, nothing.

This sounds like a different problem than the flipped switch which keeps the dock from charging.

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Just received my RMA'd dock back from Grapevine. They turned it around in 1 day, but broke it in the process. The MobileDock Battery saving mode now works perfectly, but no matter what, the dock will not charge the tablet. I have the dual battery widget, and it shows the tablet at 47% and not charging, the dock is at 99% and charging.

The tablet charges fine when I plug the charger directly into it, and I've carefully blown out and inspected all connections - no dust, no bent contacts, nothing.

This sounds like a different problem than the flipped switch which keeps the dock from charging.

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks

Yeah I know what's wrong.

Reactions: viking43

viking43

Jan 5, 2009
Was just on the line with them, and was having quite a time trying to explain the issue, then the line went dead. Guess I'll ask for a supervisor when I get through again.

did they pinch a wire?

Update - fourth call to the fourth service rep. They still do not understand the issue and will not issue an RMA, nor let me talk with a supervisor.

goodintentions - Would it be possible for you to tell me what you believe the problem to be so that I may tell that to Asus in hopes of getting them to understand the issue?

Thanks

Last edited:

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
I'll tell you, but know that it's a bad idea for you to tell them someone told you. They might use this as an excuse to void your warranty, saying you opened it up and played with it.

There are two connections between the TF and the dock's main board. One is responsible for info exchange and the other for charging. The wires in the connector are extremely small and fragile. When I first studied the dock, I was surprised how easy it would be for someone to accidentally yank out one of the small fragile wires.

There is a way to safely remove the connections each and every time. The problem is if you're lazy, you can just pull on the wires to yank out the connection. I'm guessing someone from asus did exactly this, and made one of the wires loose enough to not transfer the charge correctly.

Keep trying to explain to them what's going on. Don't tell them what I told you. Just act dumb and tell them the dock will not charge your TF.

Reactions: viking43

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Was just on the line with them, and was having quite a time trying to explain the issue, then the line went dead. Guess I'll ask for a supervisor when I get through again.

did they pinch a wire?

Update - fourth call to the fourth service rep. They still do not understand the issue and will not issue an RMA, nor let me talk with a supervisor.

goodintentions - Would it be possible for you to tell me what you believe the problem to be so that I may tell that to Asus in hopes of getting them to understand the issue?

Thanks
Legally, if you have a fault on your deice they can not refuse to fix it, nor can they refuse to allow you to speak with a Supervisor.
Send an email off to Customer Services explaining everything and get them to act on your behalf.

viking43

Jan 5, 2009
Thanks for the replies. My 5th call to Asus I finally reached a competent service person. She understood my description of the problem, but it still took nearly an hour of being mostly on hold before the RMA number was generated. They must be handling multiple calls at once and switching between callers.

I mailed the dock out at my cost on Friday, so hopefully it will be on it's way back soon. We depart for a long holiday trip next week, and it would be great to have the dock back and operational by then.

Thanks again for the help.

Viking

wwewing@yahoo.com

Nov 14, 2010
First and foremost, doing this and telling asus about it will void your warranty.

Warning: Failure to follow my instructions right down to the letter will result in your in-laws camping out at your place for a month.

(1) Take out anything that's in your full size sdcard slot. Flip your keyboard upside down so that the keys are facing down.

(2) Gently but surely remove the 2 rubber pads that are the closest to the connection between your TF and the dock.

(3) Under there, you will find 2 small screws. Unscrew them. Please don't lose the screws.

(4) Flip the dock over so that the keys face up towards the sky.

(5) Write me a check for $3000 USD.

(6) Use your right hand and hold down the part where the TF makes the connection. Curl your left fingers into a hook, put it under the dock, and pull up. After the left side of the dock is severed, reverse and do the right side.

(7) Now that both left and right sides are off, continue to lift up the top of the dock until the side towards you loses the connection as well. Be careful not to remove too fast. There are wires connected between the 2 parts.

(8) With the connection point between the TF and dock facing away from you, the switch is a tiny black thing on the side of the left board. Look at the following picture.

(9) Flipping it away from you = on. Flipping it towards you = off.

(10) Write me another check for $5000 USD.

(11) Before you close up completely, plug in to make sure it now charges.

(12) Close up and screw in.

Here is a picture of where the switch is.

Thanks. Was so excited to find this and tried it. Unfortunately for me it didn't work. I still get the orange flashing and the battery indicator (via the dual battery widget) still shows 0% after 1 hour. Tried cycling it too with no joy. Any other thoughts on why it won't charge or hold a charge. I have an RMA authorization but wanted to not send it, pay for shipping, get it back and still have it not working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a video I made showing you how to open up the dock.

First and foremost, doing this and telling asus about it will void your warranty.

Warning: Failure to follow my instructions right down to the letter will result in your in-laws camping out at your place for a month.

(1) Take out anything that's in your full size sdcard slot. Flip your keyboard upside down so that the keys are facing down.

(2) Gently but surely remove the 2 rubber pads that are the closest to the connection between your TF and the dock.

(3) Under there, you will find 2 small screws. Unscrew them. Please don't lose the screws.

(4) Flip the dock over so that the keys face up towards the sky.

(5) Write me a check for $3000 USD.

(6) Use your right hand and hold down the part where the TF makes the connection. Curl your left fingers into a hook, put it under the dock, and pull up. After the left side of the dock is severed, reverse and do the right side.

(7) Now that both left and right sides are off, continue to lift up the top of the dock until the side towards you loses the connection as well. Be careful not to remove too fast. There are wires connected between the 2 parts.

(8) With the connection point between the TF and dock facing away from you, the switch is a tiny black thing on the side of the left board. Look at the following picture.

(9) Flipping it away from you = on. Flipping it towards you = off.

(10) Write me another check for $5000 USD.

(11) Before you close up completely, plug in to make sure it now charges.

(12) Close up and screw in.

Here is a picture of where the switch is.
    Well, mash the thanks button next to my name :D
    Hahahahahaha.

I've been tearing down the hell out of my TF and dock. I know the hardware inside out.

There is a small switch in the dock that controls the charging ability of the dock battery. It sits right on the side of where the chip that they replaced is at. It is very easy for them to accidently flip the switch, turning off the ability to charge the dock battery.

You can either RMA it or you can just open it up and flip the switch. Your choice.

Personally, I have no idea why the switch exists at all.

did they pinch a wire?

Thanks
    Legally, if you have a fault on your deice they can not refuse to fix it, nor can they refuse to allow you to speak with a Supervisor.
    Send an email off to Customer Services explaining everything and get them to act on your behalf.