[Q] Bad battery perfomance

Search This thread

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
Hi everyone!

Some days ago I bought a new battery for my S3 (seller said to be genuine) and I am disappointed because its performance is almost the same as the one I was experiencing with my old battery (18 month-old battery). For this reason, I have been researching and I have done this until now:

*) Being honest, this comparison is somehow subjective since apart from the battery change, my S3 was officially updated from 4.1 to 4.3 almost at the same time I changed the battery. Then, I wonder whether this update may have affected my diagnosis on the battery duration.

1) According to the point * I decided to do a battery calibration "without root" consisting in draining the battery to 0% and charging until 100%. I haven't seen any improvement doing this.

2) As consequence I analyzed wakelocks. I have addressed two of them from the System:
- AudioOutLock. to fix this one I did as recommended: disabling sounds when typing and all of this.
- Backup. Fixed by disabling the backup from Google (I would like to have it enabled but if it is causing a battery drain...)

3) I let the phone the whole night turned on with the 3g connection on and I got a ratio of 2%/hour draining. I have read this is more or less under the normal parameters.

After doing all of this I'm still not happy with the performance. Usually, my mobile gets under 20% by the end of the day with the screen on in a range between 1h30m and 2h. If I remember well at the very begging (when I bought my phone), I was getting my phone at 20% by the end of the day but having the screen on for 4h or more. After buying a new battery, I was expecting to return to that situation.

Do you have any hint? As for example a better way to calibrate? Factory reset may help? Should I check a specific wakelock?

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
I forgot to mention that when I let it charging over night, my s3 does not always charge until 100. Sometimes it's until 98 or 95. I don't know if this helps you guys as a hint but I want to provide as much information as possible.

Thanks

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
1) According to the point * I decided to do a battery calibration "without root" consisting in draining the battery to 0% and charging until 100%. I haven't seen any improvement doing this.

>>>>>Battery calibrates itself over a week or so of use .

Then, I wonder whether this update may have affected my diagnosis on the battery duration.

>>>>> Read the 4.3 threads .
Read the multiple battery posts .

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014

>>>>>Battery calibrates itself over a week or so of use .

Then, I wonder whether this update may have affected my diagnosis on the battery duration.

>>>>> Read the 4.3 threads .
Read the multiple battery posts .

Thanks!, I will check. But so far I have briefly seen it looks like there is not a specific solution more than disabling gNow and some other things. Maybe a good option is to downgrade or using a custom rom in which there aren't these problem.

Sep 26, 2010
Edenkoben
Hi everyone!

Some days ago I bought a new battery for my S3 (seller said to be genuine) and I am disappointed because its performance is almost the same as the one I was experiencing with my old battery (18 month-old battery). For this reason, I have been researching and I have done this until now:

*) Being honest, this comparison is somehow subjective since apart from the battery change, my S3 was officially updated from 4.1 to 4.3 almost at the same time I changed the battery. Then, I wonder whether this update may have affected my diagnosis on the battery duration.

2) As consequence I analyzed wakelocks. I have addressed two of them from the System:
- AudioOutLock. to fix this one I did as recommended: disabling sounds when typing and all of this.
- Backup. Fixed by disabling the backup from Google (I would like to have it enabled but if it is causing a battery drain...)

3) I let the phone the whole night turned on with the 3g connection on and I got a ratio of 2%/hour draining. I have read this is more or less under the normal parameters.

After doing all of this I'm still not happy with the performance. Usually, my mobile gets under 20% by the end of the day with the screen on in a range between 1h30m and 2h. If I remember well at the very begging (when I bought my phone), I was getting my phone at 20% by the end of the day but having the screen on for 4h or more. After buying a new battery, I was expecting to return to that situation.

Do you have any hint? As for example a better way to calibrate? Factory reset may help? Should I check a specific wakelock?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi, look for XDA-forum "Better Battery Stats", there is an excellent tool to analyse battery drain and the community in this thread provides very good support.

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
Hi, look for XDA-forum "Better Battery Stats", there is an excellent tool to analyse battery drain and the community in this thread provides very good support.

Thanks!. I have been using Wakelock detector but I will try with this one. I was wondering if using this kind of applications for checking the wakelocks may provoke some battery drain itself. I mean, should it be used just for analyzing when you experience a battery issue? or should they be permanently installed no matter whether you have battery problems or not?

Sep 26, 2010
Edenkoben
Thanks!. I have been using Wakelock detector but I will try with this one. I was wondering if using this kind of applications for checking the wakelocks may provoke some battery drain itself. I mean, should it be used just for analyzing when you experience a battery issue? or should they be permanently installed no matter whether you have battery problems or not?

Hi, Better Battery Stats is using an already existing process of Android to obtain it's information, therefore the influence of the app itself on battery drain should be negligable.

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
Hi, Better Battery Stats is using an already existing process of Android to obtain it's information, therefore the influence of the app itself on battery drain should be negligable.

Thanks for the info!. I have not seen anything special in the partial wakelocks. In the kernel wakelocks, it is difficult to distinguish whether one entry is specially problematic or not. After what I have read so far it may be the mix of social apps I have now installed:

- Whatsapp
- Twitter
- Messenger (FB messenger)
- Line

I guess maybe I have too many of them reason why the battery is draining more than normally when the screen is off

kunal1540

Jun 6, 2013
City of oranges
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Thanks for the info!. I have not seen anything special in the partial wakelocks. In the kernel wakelocks, it is difficult to distinguish whether one entry is specially problematic or not. After what I have read so far it may be the mix of social apps I have now installed:

- Whatsapp
- Twitter
- Messenger (FB messenger)
- Line

I guess maybe I have too many of them reason why the battery is draining more than normally when the screen is off

Which firmware you are using. .Sometimes it's the problem with the firmware. .For example GML2 and ML4 version firmware has a pretty bad battery drain. ..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

kunal1540

Jun 6, 2013
City of oranges
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Thanks for the answer!.

Firmware: JSS15J.I9300XXUGMK6

What about this one?

mk6 is fine with the battery...so firstly install an app called better battery stats search for it...install it and let the phone to be in standby mode for 4-5 hours..and then see in partial wakelocks and kernel wakelocks..and post those screenshots on bbs thread...someone will surely help you..
sometimes changing kernel could solve the problem..boeffla is the one i am satisfied with..and agni kernel is also one of the better kernels..:good:

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
mk6 is fine with the battery...so firstly install an app called better battery stats search for it...install it and let the phone to be in standby mode for 4-5 hours..and then see in partial wakelocks and kernel wakelocks..and post those screenshots on bbs thread...someone will surely help you..
sometimes changing kernel could solve the problem..boeffla is the one i am satisfied with..and agni kernel is also one of the better kernels..:good:

Sorry for the delay to answer, I've been busy. Here I post the images of the battery stats. Sorry, they are not what you told me to be having them 5 hours quiet (that's difficult for me). However I can tell you that the 40minutes of screen on where just chatting on whatsapp or checking emails; no angry birds or need for speeds hehe... Are these images ok to be posted on the thread you told me? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-23-19-35-16.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-23-19-35-16.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_2014-01-23-19-35-24.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-23-19-35-24.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_2014-01-23-19-35-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-23-19-35-45.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 59

viktor92

Mar 27, 2013
I had a poor battery perfomance after upgrading from 4.1.2 to 4.3 until I've disabled fast dormancy. It seems that in v4.3 is enabled, and if your carrier doesn't support it, it will eat your battery. Donwload free from market "fast dormancy togle" by Siyah, and that's it ;)

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
I had a poor battery perfomance after upgrading from 4.1.2 to 4.3 until I've disabled fast dormancy. It seems that in v4.3 is enabled, and if your carrier doesn't support it, it will eat your battery. Donwload free from market "fast dormancy togle" by Siyah, and that's it ;)

I have just rooted the phone and disable the fd. I hope this works!. Thank you very much for the info. However, now that I have it rooted, do you suggest to install a custom rom for getting a better performance? if so, which? there is a good one with 4.4 and multi-view?.

Thanks in advance!

jojohnson250

Dec 1, 2013
Try flashing allblacksback mod it makes the whole system dark and saves battery on display and also I recommend disabling Google play services but this means there will be no push services but it saves a lot of ? ? ? ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
After giving a try to the idea of disconnecting the fast dormancy here I give you some reports on the battery consumption. I don't know why but statistics are wrong from the point of view of the duration (3 days).. since I disconnected it just 10 hours ago. I think its consumption is still huge. I hope you can give me a hint on it. Thanks!

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
Ive installed smartdroid. Battery perfomance seems quite better now! What do you think from the screens? However.. i find the screen too much consuming.... ive seen people managing 5 hours of screen in a day. Why i am not? May it be battery or configuration?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-16-23-09-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-16-23-09-11.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2014-03-16-23-09-19.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-16-23-09-19.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2014-03-14-21-35-00.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-14-21-35-00.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2014-03-14-21-35-16.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-14-21-35-16.png
    91 KB · Views: 30

paco_ramirez

Jan 11, 2014
Do you have any hint on this? Ive seen that with the screen off the consumption is really good. However, with the screen on a doing normal stuff: chroming, feedlying or whatsapping it goes to a 20-25%/h.