[Q] Questions About Rooting/Flashing On Build L710VPUDND8, Please Help.

Search This thread

MooreAJr

May 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I want to start off by saying that, over the past week, I have looked all over XDA forums for the following information but to no avail. I apologize if this is in the wrong thread or if I am breaking any forum rules.

I recently updated my Sprint version Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 just as many people have. I actually skipped the 4.3 update and went straight to 4.4.2 from 4.1.2 due to all the bugs I heard about. My root access was broken while updating through Samsung Kies, naturally, and I want to get re-rooted. My questions are as follows:

1. Is the CF-auto-root method safe with this new bootloader that came with the 4.4.2 and(or) 4.3 updates?

2. After rooting, will flashing a custom recovery like clockworkmod brick my device due to the Knox software and bootloader?

3. Will Triangle Away work with resetting any tripped counters due to rooting on 4.4.2?

4. And, if Triangle Away doesn't work, will flashing the original stock 4.4.2 firmware via Odin reset Knox's bootloader counter just as doing so has in the past? (versions 4.1.2 and lower)

5. Will flashing an older build firmware like 4.1.2 or any roms based on an older build brick my device?

I apologize if I am asking questions already asked in these forums, as you can see they mostly center around my lack of knowledge in flashing/rooting with the Knox technology. I couldn't for the life of me find the answers to the specific questions I have to alleviate my paranoia in bricking my device. Thanks in advance for the assist. :)

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
1. Is the CF-auto-root method safe with this new bootloader that came with the 4.4.2 and(or) 4.3 updates?

Safe but won't necessarily work. Works for some, for others it doesn't. IMHO the most reliable and easy way of getting root on ND8 is to Odin the latest Philz Recovery, and when you tell recovery to reboot it'll offer to re-root your phone.

2. After rooting, will flashing a custom recovery like clockworkmod brick my device due to the Knox software and bootloader?

No. AFAIK, the only things that will brick you that's Knox related are trying to downgrade either your bootloader or modem.

3. Will Triangle Away work with resetting any tripped counters due to rooting on 4.4.2?

The flash counter, yes, the warranty (Knox) counter, no. It's an e-fuse, nothing can reverse it.

4. And, if Triangle Away doesn't work, will flashing the original stock 4.4.2 firmware via Odin reset Knox's bootloader counter just as doing so has in the past? (versions 4.1.2 and lower)

I don't think anything has ever reset the Knox counter; only the flash counter.

5. Will flashing an older build firmware like 4.1.2 or any roms based on an older build brick my device?

Firmware, yes absolutely. ROM, no it won't. Firmware being bootloader and modem. Once you Odin ND8, never ever Odin anything other than ND8 or a custom recovery. ODINing an older ROM will permanently brick your phone.

You can nandroid backup and restore, and flash custom old and new ROMs using your custom recovery as always, though.

This thread answers some of your questions

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2743554

Also, please post threads with questions in the Q&A section.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCJ77 and MooreAJr

MooreAJr

May 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Safe but won't necessarily work. Works for some, for others it doesn't. IMHO the most reliable and easy way if getting root on ND8 is to Odin the latest Philz Recovery, and when you tell recovery to reboot it'll offer to re-root your phone.

No. AFAIK, the only things that will brick you that's Knox related are trying to downgrade either your bootloader or modem.

The flash counter, yes, the warranty (Knox) counter, no. It's an e-fuse, nothing can reverse it.

Firmware, yes absolutely. ROM, no it won't. Firmware being bootloader and modem. Once you Odin ND8, never ever Odin anything other than ND8 or a custom recovery. ODINing an older ROM will permanently brick your phone.

You can nandroid backup and restore, and flash custom old and new ROMs using your custom recovery as always, though.

Thanks a lot for the information. I need to get better at navigating and finding the answers to my questions on the forums. Im going to do a search on the latest Philz Recovery and see if I can my device rooted again.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a lot for the information. I need to get better at navigating and finding the answers to my questions on the forums. Im going to do a search on the latest Philz Recovery and see if I can my device rooted again.

One suggestion for searching. I find it simpler to Google search XDA than to use XDA's own search. Just put xda (space) then whatever you're searching for.

For example, Google:

xda SPH-L710 philz

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

Reactions: MooreAJr and JCJ77

MooreAJr

May 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
One suggestion for searching. I find it simpler to Google search XDA than to use XDA's own search. Just put xda (space) then whatever you're searching for.

For example, Google:

xda SPH-L710 philz

I did just that and found the appropriate zip & .md5 files for SPHL710 and im going to give it a try later today when I get a chance. Thanks again for the assistance with this :)

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I did just that and found the appropriate zip & .md5 files for SPHL710 and im going to give it a try later today when I get a chance. Thanks again for the assistance with this :)

You're welcome. Just to be clear, you'll need the tar version of Philz to Odin it after the ND8 tar. The whole file extension is .tar.md5.

The .zip and the .md5 for the zip will only be of use once you're already in a custom recovery.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: MooreAJr

MooreAJr

May 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You're welcome. Just to be clear, you'll need the tar version of Philz to Odin it after the ND8 tar. The whole file extension is .tar.md5.

The .zip and the .md5 for the zip will only be of use once you're already in a custom recovery.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Hmm, I see. In the past I've only had to use two file types: tar.md5 for the recovery & .zip to root from recovery.

Guess I wasn't paying attention while downloading files, I just noticed there are 3 files types per version release.

Last edited:

MooreAJr

May 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Philz recovery will offer to root your phone for you automatically if you go to reboot from it and it detects you're not rooted.

I used the Philz recovery method to root. I did notice a weird lag and stutter after booting up. Tempted to do a factory reset but everything looks good so far. I do like the Philz Recovery interface as well :)

gorei23

Feb 5, 2014
Wichita
I'm trying to help a freind root his L710, and I'm confused, at least on my S2 (D710) Philz is only for AOSP/Some AOKP roms but doesn't work for TW, Is it different here? Can someone give me the link to the exact recovery? I think I got it but I want to be extra careful because it's not my device.
Thanks!

MooreAJr

May 19, 2014
Atlanta, GA
It takes any new ROM time to settle in. Hours or days depending on how you use it.

Its really not that bad I guess. I'm thinking because its been a while since I have been able to move apps to the sd natively. Last device I had that was able to do so was the Evo 4G(wimax)... takes a few for them to load from the card I suppose

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Safe but won't necessarily work. Works for some, for others it doesn't. IMHO the most reliable and easy way of getting root on ND8 is to Odin the latest Philz Recovery, and when you tell recovery to reboot it'll offer to re-root your phone.

This thread answers some of your questions

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2743554

Also, please post threads with questions in the Q&A section.

For example, Google:

xda SPH-L710 philz

After I updated to 4.4, I used this method to root

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2596697

It worked like a charm!
    Philz recovery will offer to root your phone for you automatically if you go to reboot from it and it detects you're not rooted.