How To Videos on the Samsung Galaxy S III (How To Root, Install Roms, & etc) 08/10/13

Search This thread

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Added about three new videos to the OP. There will be more to come. I have two pretty cool cases that I'll have on my channel (for the S3) in the next couple days, Note II, and Evo 4G LTE videos as well! :)

How To Install Frankenstein's kilLJoy7 on the S3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2kGLMszPz8

Urban Armor Gear Composite Case with Impact Resistant Bumpers for Samsung Galaxy S III/S3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHq-m6lyJ2A

Elago G5 Breathe Case for Galaxy S3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BKVYcERBDk

EDIT: OH! And an update on the Galaxy S III Toolkit as well!
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35117293&postcount=195

Last edited:

Shushunmire

Apr 16, 2010
So, I followed all of the instructions in the root video, got to where I closed Odin, and now I have a black screen... I really don't know what to do at this point. Did I just brick my phone?

It will show the Samsung logo after a reboot, but after that, nothing, and the blue notification LED will stay lit.

EDIT: It looks like the root I applied was for 4.0... and not 4.1. Am I screwed?

Last edited:

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
So, I followed all of the instructions in the root video, got to where I closed Odin, and now I have a black screen... I really don't know what to do at this point. Did I just brick my phone?

It will show the Samsung logo after a reboot, but after that, nothing, and the blue notification LED will stay lit.

You're on a SOFT BRICK! Don't panic. The toolkit hasn't been updated to jelly bean yet, but he confirmed he's working on it. right now you need to restore a nandroid or flash a stock rooted rom back to your phone to get it working again. Basically it tired to install a 4.0.4 boot image and it's not accepting it.

Shushunmire

Apr 16, 2010
You're on a SOFT BRICK! Don't panic. The toolkit hasn't been updated to jelly bean yet, but he confirmed he's working on it. right now you need to restore a nandroid or flash a stock rooted rom back to your phone to get it working again. Basically it tired to install a 4.0.4 boot image and it's not accepting it.

I'm looking for some links to do that now, but do you happen to have a link detailing the process for flashing a stock rooted ROM?

I have experience flashing with an EVO, so I'm sure it's not the same process.

EDIT: I assume I can use your video for flashing Android JB via Odin?

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Reactions: Shushunmire

Maynard46

Mar 16, 2013
no clue what the problem is that i am having. i followed your video instructions to a tee and at first i went with the latest snapshot build from 3/4/13.
i went from stock rom to this new rom....it completed and loaded up the cm logo, but then said unfotunatly com.google..process .gapps has stopp...then unfortunately setup wizard has stopped

so i restored my stock backup and tried again...same thing....tried again with the one you showed in the video from 2013-01-21...same problem

thoughts?

Last edited:

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
This has been my Wife's phone so that's why I haven't done a lot of videos on it. I can't take her daily driver and flash it all the time.

We're getting her the Galaxy S4, so this device will just sit around because she'll be using her S4 and I'll be using my Note II (until the HTC One comes out).

That means a LOT more Galaxy S3 videos will be made. This device is not going anywhere. I mean the ORIGINAL Epic 4G is still being developed for and probably won't die for a many more years to come. I have a LOT more free time and can't wait until she gets the S4, then the S3 will be strictly for videos of roms, rom reviews, and etc.

Thanks for sticking around and being awesome!

smoshua

Jun 12, 2010
Atlanta
SGIII Videos

From one Joshua to another, thanks so much for all of your help in compiling a useful thread! I also enjoy your informative videos. Keep up the good work, and I am glad you get the recognition you deserve.

Reactions: wwjoshdew

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
From one Joshua to another, thanks so much for all of your help in compiling a useful thread! I also enjoy your informative videos. Keep up the good work, and I am glad you get the recognition you deserve.

You're very welcome, and thank you!

In other news, I haven't done many videos on the S3 because it was my Wife's device while I used the Note II (and as of today, the HTC One). I can't take her phone and wipe it, rom it, and borrow it for a while... lol.

She's getting the S4, so the S3 will be mine to sleep around with many roms and etc. So this thread will be updated much more often after she gets the S4! :)

Reactions: smoshua
Dec 25, 2012
Newnan
HELP!!

I followed your instructions on how to install cyanogenmod 10.1. Once I got to the step to flash CM 10.1 and GAPPS it booted to TWRP. I then installed the 2 zip files from there. Now it is just stuck in the CM boot up screen. I have no idea what to do now....

micrapple

Jul 9, 2010
Need a vids on how to disable the OTA permanently for rooted devices. It's getting annoying for me. I've try many way and hrs of researching but it still nag me to update!

Top Liked Posts