[Q] What kind of RFID tags can the NFC read?

Search This thread

droible

Dec 12, 2010
This is my first phone with NFC, and I was assuming I could read RFID tags with it. So far, I haven't had much luck. I used the "NFC TagInfo" app and was able to scan my touch-to-pay bus pass, but it didn't recognize any of my other proximity-based cards. That is, when tapping the cards to the phone, the app didn't even respond.

Next, I went around the house looking for items with RFID stickers (I could have sworn I had them all over, but found surprisingly few). I found a book that had one of those flat stickers with the metallic coil antenna and the phone didn't recognize that either. I also tried it on one of those security stickers that are slightly "bumped" out rectangles . I even tried scanning my cat who has one of those RFID capsules implanted for identification, and no luck there either.

Clearly I misunderstood the concepts of NFC and RFID. What types of devices/tags can the NFC on the Moto X interact with?

(PS: I tried attaching images of examples of the different tags I was talking about, but xda won't let me since I'm new)

elpeterson

May 2, 2009
This is my first phone with NFC, and I was assuming I could read RFID tags with it. So far, I haven't had much luck. I used the "NFC TagInfo" app and was able to scan my touch-to-pay bus pass, but it didn't recognize any of my other proximity-based cards. That is, when tapping the cards to the phone, the app didn't even respond.

Next, I went around the house looking for items with RFID stickers (I could have sworn I had them all over, but found surprisingly few). I found a book that had one of those flat stickers with the metallic coil antenna and the phone didn't recognize that either. I also tried it on one of those security stickers that are slightly "bumped" out rectangles . I even tried scanning my cat who has one of those RFID capsules implanted for identification, and no luck there either.

Clearly I misunderstood the concepts of NFC and RFID. What types of devices/tags can the NFC on the Moto X interact with?

(PS: I tried attaching images of examples of the different tags I was talking about, but xda won't let me since I'm new)

NFC is Near-Field Communication. RFID is Radio Frequency Identification. In theory they are similar, but the technology behind them are quite different. RFID requires a power source whereas NFC does not it one major difference. I've looked into this a lot (I wanted to digitize my work badge into my phone) and found these two cannot be combined in any fashion unless one of them incorporates the other. As in, the RFID scanner at your work also has an NFC chip in it basically.

What you can do with NFC is device to device communication linking and sending of data. Also NFC tags can be used to execute tasks. In its nature it is a very very simple type of technology that is essentially IFTT (If This Then That).

MKBHD has a pretty good video about it thats quick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp5il7yhM4Y

Also, install this app if you have any NFC tags to mess with. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher&hl=en

You can get some tags here: http://www.tagstand.com/

Last edited: