[Q] OTG and Charging

Search This thread
I am using a standard y cable with micro usb with male and female usb so I can charge and use my usb stick at the same time. The only problem is that it does not work on stock rom. Only tried cyanogenmod yet and it works. Does not say charging on lock screen but csn see the battery icon charging. And it is FAST. Also using multirom manager so I can dual boot multiple roms and not lose anything.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dirkzelf

Feb 18, 2013
I am using a standard y cable with micro usb with male and female usb so I can charge and use my usb stick at the same time. The only problem is that it does not work on stock rom. Only tried cyanogenmod yet and it works. Does not say charging on lock screen but csn see the battery icon charging. And it is FAST. Also using multirom manager so I can dual boot multiple roms and not lose anything.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have stock rom rooted, works fine...... like described in my previous message.

mebbez

Mar 7, 2014
I have had success with the OTG Y cable accessing flash storage and charging simultaneously.

At first I didn't think it was working, as the charging animation does not appear. I have been using a blackberry charger 5V 700ma, I have found that if I have the charger already connected to the Y cable *before* plugging into the phone the charging light appears, but still no animation, however battery stats states charging AC. If I connect charger after the OTG Y cable has already been attached to the phone I do not get a charging light.

I put two rather large files on download (to the flash storage) whilst testing this out, as I knew this would usually drain my battery about 20% screen off, went from 66% battery to 76% in 20 minutes.

I am using Linaro Kernel.

Last edited:

dirkzelf

Feb 18, 2013
When using the setup in the car with hub, USB disk, and charger, it does say that it is charging, but when running a dashcam app or other continuous app that uses GPS and continuous write/delete on the USB drive, the battery actually stille does drain. Maybe it does actually charge, butit is not enough apparently........

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

matejdro

Jul 9, 2009
Is there a kernel that allows charging without last plugging OTG device?

My goal here is to have car dock setup where I just plug one cable into phone and it enables both charging and additional storage for dashcam app. So both USB and power would be already connected to the cable and I would just plug the Y cable into phone.

dirkzelf

Feb 18, 2013
Is there a kernel that allows charging without last plugging OTG device?

My goal here is to have car dock setup where I just plug one cable into phone and it enables both charging and additional storage for dashcam app. So both USB and power would be already connected to the cable and I would just plug the Y cable into phone.

sure, it will work, but I have realized the setup is too unreliable, the charge is too weak apparently, and what's more, the recording is tricky, many times the app freezes, or stickmount loses the connection to the USB drisk, what results in stopping recording (DailyRoads) or continuing on INTERNAL memory (VideoReg).

It's too tricky, if you need it to work buy a phone with SD slot or huge memory (32-64GB), or just use a dashcam. I use the Mobius action/dashcam to full satisfaction, would cost some 50 euro I guess. It records reliably, good picture quality and has many useful features.

Besides it is small and has a really easy install form factor. :good:

Good luck!

:)

chbla

Mar 21, 2013
I noticed that with a OTG+charging Y cable my Nexus 5 does also not show that it is charging.
Is there a fix meanwhile?

Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes but I believe it's something that has to be addressed at the kernel level.
    I use a powered USB hub and even though the phone doesn't show any charging animations, going into the battery info screen shows it is charging (though it doesn't say usb or ac, just charging)
    from what I have seen it's even less than trickle charge.
    USB flash drive mounted.
    Screen off
    Battery goes up about 1% every 10-15 minutes.

So clearly current is being passed from the hub to the phone. Just not a lot

Yes but I believe it's something that has to be addressed at the kernel level.
    I use a powered USB hub and even though the phone doesn't show any charging animations, going into the battery info screen shows it is charging (though it doesn't say usb or ac, just charging)
    from what I have seen it's even less than trickle charge.
    USB flash drive mounted.
    Screen off
    Battery goes up about 1% every 10-15 minutes.

So clearly current is being passed from the hub to the phone. Just not a lot

I can confirm this, I use a powered 7 port USB 2.0 hub, and with the original PS: no charging.

Now I took another PS that puts out 2.14-1.7A @ 6-7.5 VDC, and hey presto, charging the phone!

No indicator in the status bar (top screen), but when checking the battery status it clearly states "CHARGING" (see picture OPLADEN 95%)!!

And it charges pretty fast too.....

The mouse is working, as wel as the USB stick is recognized and working!! :cool:

The ONLY worry is about the charge....... is 6-7.5 V a battery killer? :fingers-crossed:

Anyone?