Foxfi or anrdroid wifi tether for GS3?

Search This thread

Sleestax

Jun 27, 2008
Atlanta
Now that some of you (bastards) have had a few days to play with your shiny new toys. Has anyone confirmed that either Foxfi or the android wifi tether works on the GS3? I usually use the android wifi tether (once rooted), but I am considering Foxfi for a while until rooting/ROMing becomes more stable for the GS3. Also, the changelog on the code.google.com side for wifi tether only certifies it for the GS2 running ICS.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how people are enabling wifi on their new GS3. So, you know, in case I ever get my 32GB GS3, I can do it too.

jnadke

Jul 17, 2008
I think this was already covered by qbking77.

Use the Wireless Tether for Root Users app, and select Galaxy Nexus CDMA as the option.

Reactions: NeoDude007

yornotelppa

Dec 9, 2008
Foxfi does not currently work on the S3, the developer is aware of this. So I just rooted mine and used the tether that qbking suggested, it works great!

etaylor77

Jun 24, 2012
foxfi is a no go, got an email stating they were aware of the issue. check out qb king77 root method

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA

memeticpox

Jul 10, 2012
Foxfi does not currently work on the S3, the developer is aware of this. So I just rooted mine and used the tether that qbking suggested, it works great!

Wish I'd read this before I tried Foxfi on my stock S3 (t-mobile), last night. Didn't work with my nook (the nook couldn't even connect to the hotspot). And now, wifi doesn't work at all on my S3. Just sits there, endlessly scanning. Every now and then, it'll pop up a notification that it's found an open wireless network, but nothing ever shows up in the wireless networks list. I tried the suggestion from Foxfi's market/play listing: "rename the hotspot ssid in Foxfi, and then reboot." No dice. Uninstalled Foxfi. No dice. Rebooted multiple times (including powering off and popping the battery out). Still no dice.

:crying:

ainen

Aug 26, 2011
Wish I'd read this before I tried Foxfi on my stock S3 (t-mobile), last night. Didn't work with my nook (the nook couldn't even connect to the hotspot). And now, wifi doesn't work at all on my S3. Just sits there, endlessly scanning. Every now and then, it'll pop up a notification that it's found an open wireless network, but nothing ever shows up in the wireless networks list. I tried the suggestion from Foxfi's market/play listing: "rename the hotspot ssid in Foxfi, and then reboot." No dice. Uninstalled Foxfi. No dice. Rebooted multiple times (including powering off and popping the battery out). Still no dice.

:crying:

That sounds terrible. I wouldn't think that an app without root access could cause such trouble.

moonfire711

Oct 11, 2010
I guess with a non rooted phone you can't clear your cache or dalvik cache. Nor can you use titanium backup to restore all your apps easily if you do a factory restore. Dang bro, that sucks. Maybe it's time to root. ;)

Last edited:

KainamHD

Jun 14, 2012
FoxFi works for me. Just make sure that you are disconnected from any wireless access points before launching FoxFi. I disable WiFi alltogether, and let FoxFi enable it.

This post was made using FoxFi on my S3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-11-07-33-57.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-11-07-33-57.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

memeticpox

Jul 10, 2012
Started pseudo-randomly changing wifi related settings, to see if it altered the situation. After picking a remembered wireless access point (one I'm rarely around), and deleting it, wifi started working again. So, that's relief.

As to whether or not Foxfi actually works on my S3, maybe I'll give it another try, after the memory of this experience fades a bit.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I guess with a non rooted phone you can't clear your cache or dalvik cache. Nor can you use titanium backup to restore all your apps easily if you do a factory restore. Dang bro, that sucks. Maybe it's time to root. ;)

Yeah, I'd planned to give the stock ROM a few weeks, since I've never used one with the Samsung interface, before. The hosed wifi made me lean towards sooner, rather than later. But, now that it's working again, I'll probably stick with my original plan. The lack of control over my phone makes me twitchy, though, so I don't imagine it'll stay stock very long.

Topper59

Jul 22, 2010
Is Wireless Tether running reliably for anyone? Most of the time I can't see the network on my laptop. On the rare occasion I can connect it works flawlessly however

KevTN

Dec 12, 2010
Chattanooga
I haven't tried with pc yet but it works great with my iPod, cough errr pad...(long and painful story how I got the iPud....I am not rooted yet as I just got my hone yesterday.

About7Narwhal

Jul 13, 2012
I have mine rooted (Sprint) and cannot get any of them to work. They might connect sometimes, but other times they don't even broadcast. I used tethering everyday at work with my EVO through Sprint Hotspot. Kinda regretting switching so early.

Madcat81

Jul 13, 2012
Posting this from my laptop connected to my VZW S3 running Foxfi..

Working without a problem before it was rooted and after.

soutwater

Mar 26, 2011
Foxfi working for me as well, connected to laptop and Transformer Prime without an issue. I'm not rooted yet. Will be soon.

sent from GS3 or Transformer Prime

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think this was already covered by qbking77.

Use the Wireless Tether for Root Users app, and select Galaxy Nexus CDMA as the option.