[Q] What ROM for best audio quality?

Search This thread

-ix-

Oct 26, 2011
Hi,
Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to use as a hiqh quality audio player on the run with my headphones. This was the result of some heavy research and a few posts of praise by Supercurio himself:
On Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, #WM1811 driver uses already the optimal analog mixer configuration I'm calling "Dac Direct" in #VoodooSound. Nice!
Yup #GalaxySIII and #GalaxyTab 2 7.0 DAC both give lower distortions levels than FIIO E17 USB DAC. Measurements just confirmed perception.
So, now that hardware seem to be top notch I don't want to mess up the software part. :silly:

1. Will flashing a non-stock ROM mess up the "Dac Direct" configuration?
2. Any recommended ROM with full focus on audio quality through headphones?
3. Or will actually any AOSP KitKat ROM be able to deliver maximum audio quality?

I don't care about effects. Just want as good audio quality through the headphone jack as possible. I will most likely install the "maximum volume mod" (found in the forum) and Viper4Android on any rom used.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks.

lokesh.3440

Apr 24, 2012
Shimla
Hi,
Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to use as a hiqh quality audio player on the run with my headphones. This was the result of some heavy research and a few posts of praise by Supercurio himself:

So, now that hardware seem to be top notch I don't want to mess up the software part. :silly:

3. Or will actually any AOSP KitKat ROM be able to deliver maximum audio quality?

I don't care about effects. Just want as good audio quality through the headphone jack as possible. I will most likely install the "maximum volume mod" (found in the forum) and Viper4Android on any rom used.

Thanks.

Sungsonic HD is best Stock based ROM ever which offers premium quality sound. There are basically two Kitkat based ROMs (AFAIK) named Izer HD and Dhollman ROM which have Viper4Android sound effects with great inbuilt equalizers... here you go :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2668994
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2580426
in case of Dhollman you will have to flash Viper4android sounds effects separately....but in Izer hd it comes by default......

Last edited:
Reactions: -ix-

CyanogenModFTW

Sep 20, 2013
CyanogenMod has a nice audio tuner allowing you to tune your sound to your likings.

If it is not already clear, you can also tune your headphones sound.

Last edited:

-ix-

Oct 26, 2011
Big thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I'm a bit worried though that the ROMs mentioned - well not CM, but the other two - seem to have loads of apps, mods and tweaks ported from other devices which could actually cause instability and degrade the sound. Of course, I don't really know this since I haven't tried them myself, but having flashed a lot of ROMs on other devices I've learned that this is often the case....

I am leaning towards trying two different configurations and then deciding.

Stock (rooted) + Viper4Android
CM11 + Viper4Android

Once again, thanks for your input!

EDIT:
Somehow I missed the suggestion of Dhollmen KitKat ROM above. That actually seems really interresting. I like the fact that it is compiled using Linaro, which suggest a nice attention to detail by the dev.

Last edited:

CyanogenModFTW

Sep 20, 2013
Big thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I'm a bit worried though that the ROMs mentioned - well not CM, but the other two - seem to have loads of apps, mods and tweaks ported from other devices which could actually cause instability and degrade the sound. Of course, I don't really know this since I haven't tried them myself, but having flashed a lot of ROMs on other devices I've learned that this is often the case....

I am leaning towards trying two different configurations and then deciding.

Stock (rooted) + Viper4Android
CM11 + Viper4Android

Once again, thanks for your input!

If you are actually trying to install it, it'd be a nice try to tune your sound, keep the volume a bit low, and over that, try to make some mixer/equalizer tuning to make it sound quite a bit louder, while still sounding nice, without any distortions. Somewhat like Loudness Equalization.

CyanogenMod is basically full stock Android, with a few tweaks, some of them including Audio.
Speaking of loads of apps installed..
DSP Manager is included with CyanogenMod... and not much apps have been added. It's also much faster than your average Android ROM.

Last edited:

-ix-

Oct 26, 2011
If you are actually trying to install it, it'd be a nice try to tune your sound, keep the volume a bit low, and over that, try to make some mixer/equalizer tuning to make it sound quite a bit louder, while still sounding nice, without any distortions. Somewhat like Loudness Equalization.
Yes, properly EQing my headphones is the main reason for installing Viper. I do it a lot on my computer, using a parametric EQ, and to tell the truth, I can't really enjoy music anymore without being able to finely tune my headphones.... :p

I don't care at all for other effects as my experience is that they always degrade the sound (which is also why I steered away from the ROMs mentioned above, even if they are popular).

Strange enough though, I didn't find the volume lacking at all. To me, the headphone amp is powerful enough on stock settings. :good:

EDIT:
I do like DSP Manager in CM (running CM10.1 and CM11 on other devices). It's a really great EQ, and pretty refined crossfeed effect. However, IMHO Viper is a little bit better for my needs.

Last edited:

CyanogenModFTW

Sep 20, 2013
Yes, properly EQing my headphones is the main reason for installing Viper. I do it a lot on my computer, using a parametric EQ, and to tell the truth, I can't really enjoy music anymore without being able to finely tune my headphones.... :p

I don't care at all for other effects as my experience is that they always degrade the sound (which is also why I steered away from the ROMs mentioned above, even if they are popular).

Strange enough though, I didn't find the volume lacking at all. To me, the headphone amp is powerful enough on stock settings. :good:

I do have a nice configuration on my p5100, I have my sound set to low, but it's great and loud sounding. I have enabled bass boosting, and made a custom Equalizer preset that boosts up the mid frequencies quite a bit.

Also, CyanogenMod is a fast and fluid, lightweight ROM which is also good for everyday uses. The tweaks make for a good ROM, so far I haven't had any problems.

You should try the settings which work best with your speakers or headphones, they are never the same and never reproduce the same frequencies.

[ EDIT DUE TO YOUR LAST EDIT ]
It was also worth to mention that I have reccomended Cyanogen because DSP Manager is really simple to use. I've found the tweaks and effects to be instant.

Last edited:

-ix-

Oct 26, 2011
I have now rooted my P3110 and installed Viper4Android. Only judging from what I hear, the "direct DAC" configuration (mentioned in the first post) does not seem to be messed up, because the audio coming out of the headphone jack still seems immaculately clear. :good:

Using Viper I can now tweak the EQ to my heart's content. Just wish there were a few more bands....

Since I'm mostly using my P3110 for listening to music, I think I will stay stock for now. Doesn't seem all that laggy to me!

CSP III

Jan 11, 2013
Detroit
EDIT:
Somehow I missed the suggestion of Dhollmen KitKat ROM above. That actually seems really interresting. I like the fact that it is compiled using Linaro, which suggest a nice attention to detail by the dev.[/QUOTE]

By far the best. There will be no disappointment. Try it and judge for yourself

-ix-

Oct 26, 2011
Thanks for your advice. I have now installed Dhollmen AOKP KitKat ROM, and I must say the speed and snappiness of the GUI is nothing short of amazing. Suddenly feels like a high end device - I'm thoroughly impressed! :good:

Now, to the sound. I think it's really good. The clarity is still there. But there seems to be some kind of bass boost always enabled. Even turning Viper completely off the level of bass definitely feels higher than before.

Is this all in my head or could it be explained by something under the hood?

Maybe the bass was a bit recessed with stock ROM...

Anyway, after experiencing this speed, there is no going back!

Sent a long time ago from a Galaxy S2 far, far away...

-ix-

Oct 26, 2011
For future reference....

After listening a lot on said configuration I can now with full confidence claim that the audio output is truly great. I actually think the bass was unnaturally recessed on the stock ROM, as previously suspected.

Furthermore, I have done the Boosted volume mod found in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2294136 It helps immensely to improve the output stage, which now drives my somewhat hard to drive headphones immaculately!

So, to conclude this thread, for others looking for the best possible audio quality on their Tab 2, do try:

Any non-bloated Kit Kat ROM + Viper4Android + Boosted volume mod. :good:

Dhollmen, mentioned above, comes pre-installed with Viper, and is a great polished ROM, but I guess any bare bones Kit Kat ROM would do the job, such as Omni or CM.

Happy audiophiling! :)

Reactions: n00b_dr0id

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Thanks.

Sungsonic HD is best Stock based ROM ever which offers premium quality sound. There are basically two Kitkat based ROMs (AFAIK) named Izer HD and Dhollman ROM which have Viper4Android sound effects with great inbuilt equalizers... here you go :
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2668994
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2580426
    in case of Dhollman you will have to flash Viper4android sounds effects separately....but in Izer hd it comes by default......
    CyanogenMod has a nice audio tuner allowing you to tune your sound to your likings.

If it is not already clear, you can also tune your headphones sound.

I do have a nice configuration on my p5100, I have my sound set to low, but it's great and loud sounding. I have enabled bass boosting, and made a custom Equalizer preset that boosts up the mid frequencies quite a bit.

Also, CyanogenMod is a fast and fluid, lightweight ROM which is also good for everyday uses. The tweaks make for a good ROM, so far I haven't had any problems.

You should try the settings which work best with your speakers or headphones, they are never the same and never reproduce the same frequencies.

[ EDIT DUE TO YOUR LAST EDIT ]
    It was also worth to mention that I have reccomended Cyanogen because DSP Manager is really simple to use. I've found the tweaks and effects to be instant.
    EDIT:
    Somehow I missed the suggestion of Dhollmen KitKat ROM above. That actually seems really interresting. I like the fact that it is compiled using Linaro, which suggest a nice attention to detail by the dev.[/QUOTE]

By far the best. There will be no disappointment. Try it and judge for yourself
    For future reference....

After listening a lot on said configuration I can now with full confidence claim that the audio output is truly great. I actually think the bass was unnaturally recessed on the stock ROM, as previously suspected.

Furthermore, I have done the Boosted volume mod found in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2294136 It helps immensely to improve the output stage, which now drives my somewhat hard to drive headphones immaculately!

So, to conclude this thread, for others looking for the best possible audio quality on their Tab 2, do try:

Any non-bloated Kit Kat ROM + Viper4Android + Boosted volume mod. :good:

Dhollmen, mentioned above, comes pre-installed with Viper, and is a great polished ROM, but I guess any bare bones Kit Kat ROM would do the job, such as Omni or CM.

Happy audiophiling! :)