Stock Android Experience?

Search This thread

JENRETTE

Apr 13, 2014
Google Experience Launcher:

I found a way to get most of the S5 fingerprints off of the phone.

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/themes-apps/apps-google-experience-launcher-gel-app-t2529594

Easiest way to install is to download the launcher (file size 11.82 MB). No need for the "google search app" since it is already installed.

No root required - APKs are signed by Google, are safe to install and were not tampered with in any way.

Now you have a "nexus" like phone complete with wallpaper. Camera (and other apps) as well as the system tray are still Touchwiz.

Samsung's magazine app (left of the home screen) is also replaced by "Google Now".

Best of both worlds.

Last edited:

tp2215

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando
In addition you can look at the thread in my sig for the ported apps directory. You can install nearly all the stock Nexus apps. Then just disable all the built in S5 ones or uninstall if rooted. Also if your rooted, im sure by using Xposed mods you can change some of the theming back to aosp.

jmourra

Apr 13, 2014
Coming from a long line of rooted Nexus phones, I picked up an S5 primarily to get wifi calling (no service at work otherwise).

Can anyone say if the GEL removes this capability? Any other feature losses?

djpharoah

May 11, 2009
Orange County, CA
Coming from a long line of rooted Nexus phones, I picked up an S5 primarily to get wifi calling (no service at work otherwise).

Can anyone say if the GEL removes this capability? Any other feature losses?

Wifi calling is "baked" into the firmware so changing your launcher has no affect on that. You may loose the Samsung widgets because you've changed the launcher.