dying pixels :(

Search This thread

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
I just wanted to pop in and remind everyone to check their screens for dead pixels. I ordered my N5 on launch day and it was perfect except for one dead pixel at the top 25% of the screen, right in the middle.

Since the pixels are so small this was something I could overlook but it still annoyed me to see it every now and then while thinking I had some dust or dirt on screen. The other day I noticed another dead pixel at the bottom 25% of the screen, right around the middle again. This made me paranoid that the screen was dying or something so I downloaded an app to check and make sure.

When I opened the app I noticed a 3rd dead pixel. These last two pixels couldn't be more than 2 weeks old. The device is old enough that I doubt Google will accept it for a return so I went ahead and ordered a new Nexus 5. I'll be giving this one to my father or maybe a family member as long as the new one doesn't have any defects.

So download an app to check your device for dead/stuck pixels. I'm not sure if my issue is related to launch day panels or if I'm just an isolated incident. Positive thoughts that my new Nexus 5 will be defect-free! :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

FuMMoD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I just wanted to pop in and remind everyone to check their screens for dead pixels. I ordered my N5 on launch day and it was perfect except for one dead pixel at the top 25% of the screen, right in the middle.

Since the pixels are so small this was something I could overlook but it still annoyed me to see it every now and then while thinking I had some dust or dirt on screen. The other day I noticed another dead pixel at the bottom 25% of the screen, right around the middle again. This made me paranoid that the screen was dying or something so I downloaded an app to check and make sure.

When I opened the app I noticed a 3rd dead pixel. These last two pixels couldn't be more than 2 weeks old. The device is old enough that I doubt Google will accept it for a return so I went ahead and ordered a new Nexus 5. I'll be giving this one to my father or maybe a family member as long as the new one doesn't have any defects.

So download an app to check your device for dead/stuck pixels. I'm not sure if my issue is related to launch day panels or if I'm just an isolated incident. Positive thoughts that my new Nexus 5 will be defect-free! :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

Warranty covers your phone for a full year from hardware failures. You could have it replace up to November if you ordered in November.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
Wait, are you serious?? The device was released October 31st 2013. It isn't even a year old yet...You still have manufacturer warranty from LG. They offer 12 months...Did you even try contacting them? [emoji85]

sadly, i never even thought about contacting LG. I looked over the Google page and read that returns were only allowed for 15 days after purchase :(

Citizen_Snips

Apr 23, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
Well you could always send in your 5 for repair. Just list the new one on eBay with a NIB tag. (New In Box). You could probably get your money back or even make a profit from someone buying it where play store doesn't offer it.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Or swappa.com is a good place as well

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
sadly, i never even thought about contacting LG. I looked over the Google page and read that returns were only allowed for 15 days after purchase :(

No questions asked returns are the first 15 days. There is still the regular 1 year warranty for defective products (excluding user created).

Call the Google line, and tell them you have multiple dead pixels and would like to RMA for a replacement. They will charge your CC with a temporary hold for the amount of a new phone and send you a new one. You keep yours until the new one arrives. Return the old one in the shipping box they shipped your replacement in, and once the tracking is up on their system they will remove the temporary charge from your CC.

A replacement is super easy to get if your phone is defective.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
As mentioned you can always RMA during the 1 year warranty. You just can't get your money back after 15 days.

Still a good idea to give it to your dad, just remember to RMA it before the warranty expires.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk