[Noob-friendly] Goldcard SPL Downgrade Method; No Android-Phone and/or custom wires!

Search This thread

thekiller99

Feb 9, 2009
Hi my HTC HD7 is from asia (Hong Kong) When i looked for a nodo rom they are like 3+ asia roms which one do i get??

thekiller99

Feb 9, 2009
Two questions:
1. Is the USB hub powered? The phone's USB port can't supply enough power to run a cardreader (it's intended to be a client port, not a host port).
2. What USB hub are you using that can connect to the phone's microUSB port?

Additionally, you should be aware that a USB hub is another USB device (USB Host Controller class). If the phone is just looking for a card reader (USB Mass Storage class) it won't be able to use the hub. A Y-cable is recommended because it allows you to directly connect the phone to the card-reader, while also providing power for the reader.

Yeah i think thats my problem too. Im using a usb flash drive as my SD card and using a USB hub for connecting the phone's usb cable and the flash drive. As you said i think the reason why my phone is in USB host mode for ages is because my phone isn't connected to the flash drive instead the flash drive and phone is connected to the PC separately and my USB hub has a light which indicates which usb port is working and only my flash drive's light is flashing and my Phone cable's light isn't flashing. Am i right?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Yeahhhh, that configuration hasn't got a chance of working. The phone enters USB Host Mode. You shouldn't be connecting it to one of the ports on a USB hub; you should be connecting the hub to the phone's USB port (if this will even work through a hub)! Devices connected to the client ports on a USB hub can't even see each other directly!

aramadsanar

Aug 3, 2011
hi,

i tried your method but my phone's went into a reboot loop when it boots to USB Host mode

edit:
here is my equipments

wpequip.jpg

1. a Y-cable ( i also have a Y (or maybe T)-board, but it didn't work)
2. the gold card
3. a generic card reader (it's fast & cheap) :)

Last edited:

Gizmo_x

Jan 9, 2011
Why Y cable is required?

this cannot be an card reader inside laptop and a normal usb cable signed in laptop?

or instead of sd card an 8gb flash drive?

JulietteOnXDA

Jul 6, 2011
Berlin
Why Y cable is required?

this cannot be an card reader inside laptop and a normal usb cable signed in laptop?

or instead of sd card an 8gb flash drive?

The phone needs to be directly connected to the card-reader to work. The y-cable is 100% necessary.

As mentioned in the OP, you can use a flash drive as well. Some users confirmed that this works as well. :)

Cheers, Klaus

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
So the second part of the Y cable is pulling power to supply the SD card and reader yeah?

question is, would a powered USB hub do the same. if you had a powered USB hub with card reader I would have thought you could just connect it directly to the phone...

just wondering

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
That depends on whether the phone would be able to see the USB Mass Storage device through the USB Hub. Technically, the hub is different class of device and unless the phone has drivers for it, it wouldn't be able to see the client ports of the hub (including the one with the card reader or flashdrive).

If it does have the requisite drivers, and you could plug the hub into the microUSB port on the phone, that would probably work. The Y cable in only needed (instead of a standard 2-ended cable) because neither the phone nor the Mass Storage device is designed to supply power via USB, but the storage needs power in order to operate. A powered hub is designed to make up for the fact that a PC USB port isn't designed to power multiple USB devices at once so the hub itself provides the power for each. The phone shouldn't need any extra power, so the fact that a powered hub doesn't typically supply power along the uplink side of the connectoin (back to the PC, or in this case phone) probably wouldn't matter.

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
You have a point, a hub is a different device and would need a driver for the phone to see through the hub to the mass storage device If the drivers were present then it would probably work

Sent from my HD2 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Gizmo_x

Jan 9, 2011
in this case the power adapter should be on power supply signed or we don't have to put in power?

klinutzu

May 16, 2008
wtf! i receive allways "no image file!" why?!?!?!?!?!

tell me, on sd card it will be only one file, isn't? because after running goldcard tool, loading goldcard.img and patch mmc, only SCHUIMG.nbh is on the card....

pls help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

vimafeje

Mar 30, 2006
*/*
www.vimafeje.com
Hello.
I have followed The tutorial and when i Connect My hd7, he reboot himself and go back to the usb host mode and Don't do anything else.... I have wait 3-4 hours...
In the bootloader screen i can't see the usb or serial Word.
I have try it with severals sd, minisd and microsd Card and with 2 usb reader.

Does anyone have any tipp?
tanks.

JulietteOnXDA

Jul 6, 2011
Berlin
wtf! i receive allways "no image file!" why?!?!?!?!?!

tell me, on sd card it will be only one file, isn't? because after running goldcard tool, loading goldcard.img and patch mmc, only SCHUIMG.nbh is on the card....

pls help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Check if your wires are combined correctly. Try different combinations if you are not sure.

And remember to format the sd card to fat32.

Top Liked Posts