[HOWTO] ROOT T-Mobile SGSII via ODIN -- Updated Recovery

Search This thread

voonli24

Oct 15, 2010
New York
Rooted but having difficulties deleting tmobile apk under system/apps, I tried deleting tmobiletv and googlebooks but it keep saying error deleting file.

Can someone help?

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
Rooted but having difficulties deleting tmobile apk under system/apps, I tried deleting tmobiletv and googlebooks but it keep saying error deleting file.

Can someone help?

Use a root enabled file manager and mount r/w

Or download Titanium Backup and either freeze or uninstall from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

everest.deth

Dec 22, 2010
Managua
Anybody else having issues downloading the Recovery.tar file? All three multiupload links failed for me :( Apparently the file was removed :confused:

Can someone please post a mirror? or re-upload it somewhere else? :D

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
Anybody else having issues downloading the Recovery.tar file? All three multiupload links failed for me :( Apparently the file was removed :confused:

Can someone please post a mirror? or re-upload it somewhere else? :D

Nobody is going to post another mirror. Search the thread and type "mirror" in the search field.. There has been about 50 of them posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

everest.deth

Dec 22, 2010
Managua
Here my link to the original recovery.. I've posted it before and I also know plenty of other people have done so too, so please if your new to the forum learn to search the threads a bit...
http://db.tt/m9QnIBhA

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Just in case somebody else like me needs the link to the recovery.tar

It'd be nice to have it in the OP ;)

DaveinSoCal

Dec 10, 2011
Fullerton
I keep getting a "Fail to verify whole-file signature" as well as a "signature verification failed" error

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

kurzum

Nov 13, 2011
i was reading the instructions on where to put the file for superuser.zip, but i dont got a internal folder i do have and external folder but no sd card, can anyone help me out on this, can you guys send me mss.

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
I find it funny how this thread is like the same questions over and over.

Btw /sdcard/ is your internal, you can place superuser in there and still flash it. It works on both internal and external.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

vigorito

Mar 11, 2010
guys this file *Clockworkmod which you are going to flash via ODIN which i cant anywhere needs to be copyed to root of internal card right?

I mean i need to copy to root of internal card therse files:

odin
clockwork recovery img

and su on external card?
or su on internal? Plus how i can choose which im gonna to use? and which su i can use 3.0.5 or 3.0.7? 2.3.6 os android version

Last edited:

sinfulgray

Aug 21, 2010
St. Petersburg, FL
guys this file *Clockworkmod which you are going to flash via ODIN which i cant anywhere needs to be copyed to root of internal card right?

I mean i need to copy to root of internal card therse files:

odin
clockwork recovery img

and su on external card?
or su on internal? Plus how i can choose which im gonna to use? and which su i can use 3.0.5 or 3.0.7? 2.3.6 os android version

No you dont put either on sd card only the su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip file goes on the sd card.

Odin is a program ran from a pc and the recovery.tar has to also be on your pc to be accessed by odin when you run it.

Once you flash recovery.tar with odin then you flash su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip via recovery.

jspina

Jun 8, 2011
porter ranch
Before I try to talk someone into letting me root their phone... Why is it that people brick this phone? Is it because of different hboots (or whatever its called on this phone) or are people skipping things? because compared to the two htc phones that I rooted with ease this seams like a peace of cake!

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
Before I try to talk someone into letting me root their phone... Why is it that people brick this phone? Is it because of different hboots (or whatever its called on this phone) or are people skipping things? because compared to the two htc phones that I rooted with ease this seams like a peace of cake!

This phone is very easy to root. The only reason people brick is because they don't read. Just make sure you follow the instructions, and DON'T flash ANYTHING for a different GS2! There have been many people who have bricked from trying to flash a rom from the International s2 etc.

This phone is nothing like htc. Just use Odin to flash CWM, then you put a rom on your sd card and flash it like usual. No hboot to worry about, no having to enter commands into an emulator or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: jspina

jspina

Jun 8, 2011
porter ranch
This phone is very easy to root. The only reason people brick is because they don't read. Just make sure you follow the instructions, and DON'T flash ANYTHING for a different GS2! There have been many people who have bricked from trying to flash a rom from the International s2 etc.

This phone is nothing like htc. Just use Odin to flash CWM, then you put a rom on your sd card and flash it like usual. No hboot to worry about, no having to enter commands into an emulator or anything.

Yeah that is my favorite thing about samsung phones...except the I9100 from what I hear... But I don't like touch wiz in comparison to sense...
I may have to try this then... Thanks for the answer

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using XDA

primus123

May 21, 2010
Gretna
I have CWM installed, followed directions completely. I have tried placing the su.zip on the SD, and the Internal.
Everytime it tries to install it, it gives me an error, and in () is says (bad)
Does this mean that the file is bad?
Did i do something wrong?
I placed it on the internal first. Should it be inside of a folder or something?

Any suggestions or a link to a good file would help.

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
I have CWM installed, followed directions completely. I have tried placing the su.zip on the SD, and the Internal.
Everytime it tries to install it, it gives me an error, and in () is says (bad)
Does this mean that the file is bad?
Did i do something wrong?
I placed it on the internal first. Should it be inside of a folder or something?

Any suggestions or a link to a good file would help.

No folder, just on the root of external sd. It does take people a few tries sometimes to get it to work. If it keeps failing, you could try to re download it.

You can get all of your downloads here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1639771

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT THE T-MOBILE SGSII

This Method will flash a recovery Image and then you can flash the superuser .zip file to root the phone.
    This requires minor knowledge. But BE CAREFUL Because this can harm your phone!

First Things you need to have:

*You Need ODIN 1.8++(CLICK ME)
    *The USB Drivers for Our SGSII
    *Clockworkmod which you are going to flash via ODIN
    Code:
    md5sum - 8bf6802a84d85aa7da0c1976c0f129d1
    *Superuser+Su files to flash thru clockworkmod later on!
    *SDCARD installed for CWR

How to Root the phone...

*Before We get things rolling, Make sure the Phone is recognized by your PC.

*Put the Superuser .zip file on your internal SD

*Take the battery out and place it back

*Hold both Vol up + Vol down, and plug the USB cable in.

*On ODIN, Select the PDA button and browse to the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar

*Select Start and see the magic do its thing.

*It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.

*Take the battery out again and now boot into recovery

*Power off phone, unplug USB, Hold Both Vol up + Vol down and Hit power

*PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY*

*Select Install zip from sdcard, choose the Superuser .zip and let it finish.

*Reboot!

*Now Lets delete some bloat ok? Be careful of what you delete!

***Thanks To Slayher for ROOTING the phone, i just created this small guide for you all to use.
    cant wait to try this!!!!ty to everyone who helped
    If You Can't Find Recovery.tar You'll Find It Here
    http://www.mediafire.com/?5bktv62yoyh3wim
    Thank u.....first time being first :p

Full (hopefully) noob rooting instructions

Being basically a noob myself, I tried to put all the steps in. Hopefully I included everything for the less well- healed:

1. Download the following:
    a. Odin - Version 1.83 or newer
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=755024&d=1319077881
    b.recovery-cwm-hercules.tar
    http://goo-inside.me/hercules/clockworkmod/
    c. superuser
    http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
    2. Make sure windows recognizes your phone in ODIN by starting Odin and seeing that is shows <ID:0/004> Added!! In the message box.
    3. Turn the phone off,
    4. Turn the phone on by holding both the Vol up and Vol down buttons and plug the USB cable in.
    5. Select volume up button
    6. Start Odin
    7. Select the PDA button in Odin and select the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar file
    8. Select Start in Odin
    9. It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.
    10. After the phone has rebooted, select USB connected from your pull down screen on your phone and push the Connect USB storage button on the bottom.
    11. Copy the Superuser zip file to the sdcard or internal memory
    12. Reboot into recovery by doing the following:
    a. Power the phone off and unplug the USB cable
    b. Hold both the Vol up and Vol down and hold the power button for at least 1 second while continuing to hold both volume buttons
    c. Keep holding the Vol up and Vol down buttons until the Recovery screen comes up
    13. * PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP * - This take a while to run
    Menu button moves selection down;
    Home button moves selection up;
    Back button goes to the top; and,
    Search button selects the choice you've made.
    14. Select Install zip from sdcard or internal storage, choose the superuser zip file and push the Search button (enter)
    15. It takes you to another screen, scroll down using the Menu button to the superuser zip file and push the Search button
    16. Reboot!