Walmart/T-Mobile Prepaid $30/mo "Unlimited" 4G Plan + Unlimited Text/100 Minutes

Search This thread

styndall

Mar 20, 2008
Hmm yeah I suppose if you need a TON of data, you are better off elsewhere...but for people who want to stick with a GSM carrier, there's nothing better right now!

I'm not sure I could ever give up switching phones as I please.

dmunseyautotech

Jul 6, 2011
Greenville,S.C.
Be ware....It's not prepaid. If you run out of minutes they charge you like 90 dollars. Read the fine print. I had 30 dollars worth of data left I didn't even use switched to tmobile thinking prepaid is prepaid and they sent me a bill for 90 cancelation fee. Didn't even use my 30 worth of paid for data

styndall

Mar 20, 2008
Whoa, not sure where all the hate is coming from. I suppose I misunderstood you and certainly was not talking down to you. So I apologize.

Anyway, my plan is to use Google Voice or sipdroid since the minutes are capped to only 100. I just wanted to make people aware of the opportunity.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Babydollll

Whoa, not sure where all the hate is coming from. I suppose I misunderstood you and certainly was not talking down to you. So I apologize.

Anyway, my plan is to use Google Voice or sipdroid since the minutes are capped to only 100. I just wanted to make people aware of the opportunity.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

There's no hate. Your post about TONS OF DATA was condescending.

Pipsqueak approved this message.

drkcobra

Dec 7, 2007
I can tell you that I am going to jump on this Sunday.
It is perfect for the 3G GSM cellular modem in my laptop.
I am sick of not having internet access in some places and as I won't ever be using voice or giving out that number it is just perfect and a deal!
Plus no f---ing contract.

Last edited:

eenbox

Mar 21, 2010
Chicagoland
Can someone confirm this plans now works fine and it is not a fiasco it was right after the release? I have HD2 Tmobile US and wonder if it will work on my phone?

I barely use my phone for talking and never over 100mins - data is pretty much what I use for the most of the time and this plan seems like a winner...

What else should we know about this plan?

William4444

Jan 9, 2012
Hmm yeah I suppose if you need a TON of data, you are better off elsewhere...but for people who want to stick with a GSM carrier, there's nothing better right now!

I'm not sure I could ever give up switching phones as I please.
zhaojh.jpg

zhaoht.jpg

zhaogd.jpg

Last edited:

styndall

Mar 20, 2008
Can someone confirm this plans now works fine and it is not a fiasco it was right after the release? I have HD2 Tmobile US and wonder if it will work on my phone?

I barely use my phone for talking and never over 100mins - data is pretty much what I use for the most of the time and this plan seems like a winner...

Check HoFo. I haven't found much useful information here on XDA.

Of note, I have found no problems with the plan thus far (have only used it for 1 month)

Last edited:

jebusss

Dec 15, 2010
hey everyone. so apparently mobile to mobile doesnt apply to monthly 4g plans. i never read this anywhere and i tried to do as much research as i could before i tired to get on this plan. but now, after 1 day of ussage, im out of minutes.

if you guys have any specific questions, post them, and ill try to answer them

Last edited:

freelikegnu

Jan 31, 2012
Fact: I found that I had to buy a $30 t-mo phone at walmart to get this plan, and after activation, I moved the sim to a nicer device (bought a nearly unused lg g2x for cheap). I don't talk on the phone, google voice when I do (voice messages conveniently converted to text) and never give out my t-mo phone #.

History: I have been using boost for a couple years and was happy with their service/plan, but even the rather nice samy prevail (thank you ShabbyPenguin!!) was feeling a bit limited (despite root and link2sd). Was about to try Hoarks CM7 on it. I did not feel like trying to get a regular sprint phone to work on boost either.

Review: Signal strength not as good at home, but I use wifi here anyways. I get about 2Mb data over cell here tho, so not too bad. Phone is a kickass upgrade (CWM, CM7 nightly thanks to XDA forums tutorials!) and I like that I can use my sim in many other devices!

Expect to pay $30 for a phone and $30 for plan. Web activation of phone worked. Be sure to use THE AGENT CODE on the phone box! I bought the $30 card but using the scratch and dust number did not validate online :eek: , I called tmobile number and entered it there and it validated (whew!).

hope that sheds some light...

Babydollll

I just ordered the SIM on T-Mobile's website (ended up getting it as an addition to my postpaid plan for my NS which was sitting unused). I followed the activation steps in the booklet that came with the SIM. No agent code needed and I paid $5.34 for the SIM.
NOTE: This only works if you already have a compatible phone with AWS bands. I don't know about activating a newly bought phone on this plan.

Wasn't me!! I didn't do it!

mixersoft

Oct 14, 2006
I'm moving back to DC this summer (from Beijing) and I want to get on this plan. But I lost my phone the other day and need something for the next 3 months.

Q: Is there any Android/ICS international phone I can buy that can be hacked to work with Tmobile HSPA+? I'd say the HTC One S would be perfect for me, but I don't think you can get the one with TMobile 1700 CDMA band.

808dp

Jul 27, 2010
mixersoft;25197091 Q: Is there any Android/ICS [U said:
international[/U] phone I can buy that can be hacked to work with Tmobile HSPA+? I'd say the HTC One S would be perfect for me, but I don't think you can get the one with TMobile 1700 CDMA band.

Is the Google's Galaxy Nexus an "international" phone? That may be an option.

luftrofl

Jul 18, 2010
San Francisco
Considering changing to this plan...

Has anybody tried tethering on this plan? Also, any non-overage related throttling to report?

I'm moving back to DC this summer (from Beijing) and I want to get on this plan. But I lost my phone the other day and need something for the next 3 months.

Q: Is there any Android/ICS international phone I can buy that can be hacked to work with Tmobile HSPA+? I'd say the HTC One S would be perfect for me, but I don't think you can get the one with TMobile 1700 CDMA band.

Generally, no. Some hacking has been done on AT&T-branded phones (e.g. Galaxy Note) to get them to work with T-Mobile's 3G. However, most phones are incapable of this. Saying 1700 band is a bit misleading - as there are a couple 1700MHz bands that are not AWS (i.e. T-Mobile USA).

So far, all of the Nexus phones (GSM versions, excluding "a" variants which support AT&T's 3G) work with the AWS band. A few others like the Sensation and Evo 3D come to mind.

Your options will be limited because the AWS band is fairly unpopular. Most manufacturers don't bother with it as it's used only on the less-popular networks of the U.S. and Canada - nowhere else.

Last edited: