[APP] TAP Benchmark 0.8 - Test your filesystem - CURRENTLY STOPPED

Search This thread

Peacemanibk

Oct 18, 2010
Currently development is paused - anyone interested in the source code write me a pm.

This app is aiming to give you better numbers for comparing different filesystems used in various lagfixes. It should also work for different phones, so that we can compare performance between them.

Currently this is a betaversion, so just try it out if you have a backup of your system. Even if nothing should happen to your system, i cannot guarantee for it ;)

PLEASE UNINSTALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS BEFORE TRYING A NEW ONE

Usage: Run the app, change the number of iterations in the options menu, and run Benchmark Filesystem. View your Results with "Last Benchmark Summary".
Reading the detailes values: Example: File writes 10k: 5378(53) kB/s
- The name describes the Test - here writing Files with 10kBytes size
- first number - here 5378 - is the mean value result - in this case the write speed in kBytes per second
- number in brackets: the approximate error (+-) of the mean value calculated.

The first test after a fresh installation can get somewhat faked numbers, repeat it at least two times to make sure to have reproducable values. If one value has a very large error compared to the others the reason could be another app doing something - just repeat the benchmark to see if its real.

Changelog 0.8:
- Refined Stress test and details
- FAQ added
- Logfile can now be copied (Longpress)
- Logfile structure changed for better overview

Changelog 0.7:
- Comparison bar chart added
- More detailed overall Score
- renamed it for broader future audience
- new icon set
- Minimum iterations is now 4
- the best and worst iteration are not taken for calculations - prevent statistical outliners
- Logfile lies now under TAPBenchmark
- Last benchmark numbers can be copied for fast pasting into this forum (Longpress)

Changelog 0.6:
- Additional Stresstest (Parallel read/write)
- Overall Benchmark Score introduced (has to be refined in future)
- Time for a Single Test can be changed to increase accuracy (maybe)
- Free space can be checked to ensure there is enough (no check before start yet)
- Write and Read test refined (data is now written/read to/from different files)
- Rewritten to be Android style (back-button working now as it should for example ...)

Changelog 0.5:
- Tests calculate readable values (Writes/s or kByte/s)
- Number of iterations can be changed (between 2 and 20) - standard is now 10
- Number of Repetitions per Test is automatically ajusted in the beginning so that each iteration takes approx. 1s - 7 tests with 10 iterations takes always approx 70s
- File read/write overhead is calculated: This is done by compare read/write speed of the 10k and 1M Tests under the assumption that the 1M tests give approx. the raw I/O speed. The number can be interpreted as additional time needed to read/write a file regardless of the size, which has to be added to the time it takes to read/write the file data itself.
- Display will stay on during the benchmark.
- sdcard test has been disabled- lets concentrate on /data first.

Reporting bugs and your Benchmark numbers is very welcome, i will include the numbers into the program for comparison. I will try to improve the tests to be as meaningful as possible, so post any ideas you have for improving it.

Attachments

• Benchmark_0.8.apk
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,186
Last edited:

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
I think its a great idea.
Sgs don't have any good benchmark program that's test the hardware that's in the sgs.
So it would help alot when tweaking the phone..

Sent from GT-I9000 jpo. My own kernel for z4mod and with 342MB Ram

Peacemanibk

Oct 18, 2010
Well, looks like i will start myself :)

I thought about testing time needed for writing/reading/deleting files with different filesize - 10k,100k,1M to start with. As far as i have seen /data and /sdcard can be accessed easily - and testing /sdcard would give one numbers about the sdcard. If i use a database, is this automatically stored on /dbdata, so that one can measure speed there? What about the other partitions - how can i access them?

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
Sounds like a good idea.
You need to use root access so you can make them write access.

Peacemanibk

Oct 18, 2010
Work is in progress - database read write benchmarks work already - in the mean time i have found a nice benchmark in the market: rl sqlite benchmark - it tests just sqlite performance but could give you already some numbers.
I will update this thread as soon as i have a beta version available for you ...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
Sounds nice.
Keep me informed ;-)

Ticiano

Aug 13, 2010
What about include a tool to detect that filesystem corruption caused by some lagfixes? :D

I think you could expand this solution to check the main things that concerns SGS modders, not just a bechmark... but I don't know. I'm not a developer, so I can't imagine the amount of work something like this would take... :)

Last edited:

Peacemanibk

Oct 18, 2010
So,a first beta version is available. I have tested it on my own device without problems, but i cannot guarantee for anything, so please backup your system before trying it. But since its just a simple app, it should be safe.

Currently there are no progress bars, and since the test takes some seconds, dont get nervous if nothing happens for some time when you start the test. It should not take longer then 30s ...

Please report any bugs and report your values - i have already included my ones with RFS+EXT2 with OneClickLagFix. I think the database values are somewhat fake with an loopback enabled, so if you have any ideas for better tests please post.

Currently only the internal memory is tested, i guess its /data? I have a lot of ideas for improvements and will post a new version as soon as mayor changes are finished.

Please report any bugs you find.

EDIT: What the File write test means: Time needed to Read/Write a file with size 10k/1M 20 times.

EDIT: Removed file because its outdated ...

Last edited:

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
Seems to work.
But it one thing you need to do.
All data on test you do must be stored so you can compare them.
Then you can use it better;-)
I progressbar or something that shows that the program do something.
Maby an online database to be able to compare with others. But that's hard for its alt more data that need to be there if it shall be usefully.

Peacemanibk

Oct 18, 2010
Seems to work.
But it one thing you need to do.
All data on test you do must be stored so you can compare them.
Then you can use it better;-)
I progressbar or something that shows that the program do something.
Maby an online database to be able to compare with others. But that's hard for its alt more data that need to be there if it shall be usefully.

Yes storage of tests is noted, currently only the last test is stored. Progressbars have just been implemented ;) Online database maybe, but first lets refine the test we want to do ...
What are actually the numbers you get? Mine are this:
DBWrite: 153 ms
DBRead: 74 ms
DBDelete: 64 ms
File Write 10k: 43 ms
File Write 1M: 1627 sm
File Read10k: 37 ms
File Write 1M: 1439 ms

where the only number differing more then 20% from run to run is the DBWrite - which i think is because of the loopback EXT2 of the OCLF.

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
Sounds good.
Oclf will always give false values.
I also think its an old way and you should try an kernel instead with real lagfix.

The values I got is higher then the ones you got.

Maby you should add 100k test to.

Peacemanibk

Oct 18, 2010
Here the improved version - with progressbar and slightly adjusted tests. This should also work for 2.1 and other phones, feedback welcome!

@DamianGto OCLF is not the best way to go, i know, i am looking forward to z4mod and going to native EXT2 ... but not right now ...

My values for the new test:

DBWrite: 283ms (50 SQL Inputs)
DBRead: 188ms (50 SQL Selects)
DBDelete: 208ms (50 SQL Deletes)
File Write 10k: 118ms (50 Writes)
File Write 1M: 834ms (10 Writes)
File Read10k: 101ms (50 Reads)
File Write 1M: 761ms (10 Reads)

EDIT: Removed the file because its outdated ...

Last edited:

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
That was better:p
database score seems little strange.
I got about 10 times higher then yours. But i guess that is Oclf weird thing i have seen in other test program.

Peacemanibk

Oct 18, 2010
So have just undone OCLF therefor stock RFS:

Dbwrite: 3956ms
Dbread: 366ms
Dbdelete: 366ms
Filewrite10k: 3223ms
Filewrite1m: 5587ms
Filereads10k: 187ms
Filereads1m: 783ms

Mostly no difference at reads of large files, huge difference on writes, as expected ... :)

Phandroid

Aug 24, 2010
Here the improved version - with progressbar and slightly adjusted tests. This should also work for 2.1 and other phones, feedback welcome!

@DamianGto OCLF is not the best way to go, i know, i am looking forward to z4mod and going to native EXT2 ...

Ext2 is now available in the SpeedMod kernel. I'm using it at the moment.

Peacemanibk

Oct 18, 2010
Cmon guys tell me your benchmark numbers!
Btw. Right now the benchmark ia done by opening-writing/reading-closing a file x-times using fileoutputstream. Any opinion to other tests?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Currently development is paused - anyone interested in the source code write me a pm.

This app is aiming to give you better numbers for comparing different filesystems used in various lagfixes. It should also work for different phones, so that we can compare performance between them.

Currently this is a betaversion, so just try it out if you have a backup of your system. Even if nothing should happen to your system, i cannot guarantee for it ;)

PLEASE UNINSTALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS BEFORE TRYING A NEW ONE

Usage: Run the app, change the number of iterations in the options menu, and run Benchmark Filesystem. View your Results with "Last Benchmark Summary".
    Reading the detailes values: Example: File writes 10k: 5378(53) kB/s
    - The name describes the Test - here writing Files with 10kBytes size
    - first number - here 5378 - is the mean value result - in this case the write speed in kBytes per second
    - number in brackets: the approximate error (+-) of the mean value calculated.

The first test after a fresh installation can get somewhat faked numbers, repeat it at least two times to make sure to have reproducable values. If one value has a very large error compared to the others the reason could be another app doing something - just repeat the benchmark to see if its real.

Changelog 0.8:
    - Refined Stress test and details
    - FAQ added
    - Logfile can now be copied (Longpress)
    - Logfile structure changed for better overview

Changelog 0.7:
    - Comparison bar chart added
    - More detailed overall Score
    - renamed it for broader future audience
    - new icon set
    - Minimum iterations is now 4
    - the best and worst iteration are not taken for calculations - prevent statistical outliners
    - Logfile lies now under TAPBenchmark
    - Last benchmark numbers can be copied for fast pasting into this forum (Longpress)

Changelog 0.6:
    - Additional Stresstest (Parallel read/write)
    - Overall Benchmark Score introduced (has to be refined in future)
    - Time for a Single Test can be changed to increase accuracy (maybe)
    - Free space can be checked to ensure there is enough (no check before start yet)
    - Write and Read test refined (data is now written/read to/from different files)
    - Rewritten to be Android style (back-button working now as it should for example ...)

Changelog 0.5:
    - Tests calculate readable values (Writes/s or kByte/s)
    - Number of iterations can be changed (between 2 and 20) - standard is now 10
    - Number of Repetitions per Test is automatically ajusted in the beginning so that each iteration takes approx. 1s - 7 tests with 10 iterations takes always approx 70s
    - File read/write overhead is calculated: This is done by compare read/write speed of the 10k and 1M Tests under the assumption that the 1M tests give approx. the raw I/O speed. The number can be interpreted as additional time needed to read/write a file regardless of the size, which has to be added to the time it takes to read/write the file data itself.
    - Display will stay on during the benchmark.
    - sdcard test has been disabled- lets concentrate on /data first.

Reporting bugs and your Benchmark numbers is very welcome, i will include the numbers into the program for comparison. I will try to improve the tests to be as meaningful as possible, so post any ideas you have for improving it.