[HOW TO] Root a bootloader-unlocked Xperia Pro MK16a

Search This thread

rcummings100

Oct 5, 2007
Toronto
There is now a MUCH easier way to root ALL Sony Ericsson 2011 phones including the Xperia Pro, making these instructions obsolete. Please see DooMLorD's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1319653

Remember to say thanks to DooMLorD for his awesome work!

However, I'll sill keep the 2 sets of instructions here in case anyone needs them or wants to refer back to them. My ZIPs do have all the drivers needed with good instructions on how to install them after all ;)

My original instructions based on alvaroag's work can be found below, and the instructions via my instructions the Xperia Pro CWM Recovery method can be found on post 50 of this thread.

It's important to note that DooMLorD's tool only works for Windows. You can still use our original method in this post if you're running Linux.

We finally have a method to root the Xperia Pro MK16a (and PROBABLY MK16i) thanks to XDA Member alvaroag!!
This is his method, with the instructions modified by myself for ease of use.

What you need before you begin:
1. A rock hard stomach, because should the very unlikely happen and this brick/damage your phone in some way, I’m not responsible ;)

2. An Unlocked Bootloader

NOTE: Sony offers a totally free, official, and simple method to unlock your bootloader here: http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/
Should that not work for you, your phone is probably SIM locked from your carrier (FIDO for example does that). You'll need to get the bootloader unlocked remotely from someone who has SETool and the appropriate security USB dongle. THIS COSTS MONEY, as SETool requires that user to pay per use.
Please see this thread for further instructions as it's the method I used personally: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232050
Alejandrissimo was awesome at helping me through it.

3. On the phone itself navigate to the following locations:
a. Settings - applications – Make sure Unknown Sources (first option) is checked
b. Settings – applications – development – Make sure USB Debugging is checked

4. Download this archive. It contains all the files and drivers you will need:

Instructions:
1. Extract the archive you downloaded to a folder on your computer. Where doesn’t matter as long as you remember where it is.

2. Navigate to the folder ADB For Dummies (thanks to VanillaTbone for his guide) and install ADB for Dummies.exe
a. This will create a new folder on your C: drive called “android-sdk-windows”

3. Take the file “xperia_pro_root.zip” from the archive you downloaded and extract the contents to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\

4. Power off the phone and make sure it’s not plugged into anything.

5. Hold down the MENU button and connect the USB cable. A blue light will appear. If a blue light does NOT appear, then your phone can't get into FastBoot, and probably still has the bootloader locked.

a. If Windows asks you to install the drivers, install the driver from the folder “Fastboot Driver” in the archive you downloaded. Should those drivers not work, try the drivers found in "C:\android-sdk-windows\google-usb_driver"

6. Open the “Fastboot” folder in windows explorer (its part of the archive you extracted in step 1. Hold down the shift key and right click on an empty space in the folder window, select Open Command Prompt Here.

7. Type:

fastboot boot recoveryNEO.img​

8. The blue light on the phone will turn off, the screen on the phone will be blank, and the phone will be disconnected from windows, but after a few seconds you will get a Mass Storage & ADB Interface Detected. Note that the phone’s screen will continue to be black for the rest of this process. THIS IS NORMAL, your phone has not been bricked. If you need to stop anywhere along the way, simply unplug the phone from the computer and take your battery out. The phone will return to normal operations, though UNROOTED.

a. Windows will PROBABLY say hardware failed to install. This is fine.
i. Open the start menu, right click on “Computer” and select “Manage”
ii. Select Device Manager on the left side of the Computer Management window that opens.
iii. Look for the unknown piece of hardware. Right click on it and select update/install driver.
iv. Browse your computer, and select the main folder you extracted the archive to way back in step 1 – the drivers are somewhere in there, don’t worry about where, as windows will find them just fine.

9. On your computer navigate to “C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools”. Hold down the shift button on your keyboard and Right click on an empty part of the windows, and select “Open Command Window Here”

10. Type "adb shell". If it says "device not found", disconnect the USB cable, remove the battery, and try again from step 6. Also, try changing the USb port on your CPU. I'm not really sure about this, but I had to do it twice.

Now you’ll have to run a bunch of commands inside the ADB Shell window (the one with the black background and looks like a DOS window). You can just copy and paste each one from here. Be sure that once you start this step, you continue until the end of these instructions.

mount -t yaffs2 -o rw,relatime /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system​

If it says “/system is not empty” then type:
"rmdir /system/bin" and then run the first mount command again

type "exit"

11. From the DOS window, Run these commands (again copy and paste each one is fine)
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell

12. From the adb shell, run:
chmod 0644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
chown 0 /system/bin/su
chgrp 0 /system/bin/su
chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
cd
umount /system
reboot​

13. The adb shell will terminate. Disconnect the phone from the USB cable, wait for about 15 sec, remove the battery, and then turn it on.

14. From the phone, Open the Market, search for "Busybox" by "Stephen (Stericson)". Install that

15. From the Market, go to My Apps, search for "Superuser" by "ChainsDD" and make sure you're running the latest edition

16. Run the App "Superuser" from your app tray.
- under the settings tab, scroll to the bottom and click SU Binary "tap to check for updates"

17. Run the "Busybox Installer" app. Follow the onscreen instructions - just leave everything at default.

Congratulations! Your device should now be rooted!
I personally suggest downloading and installing Titanium Backup to make sure - it will run a root check on startup and notify you if anything is wrong.

Notes:
This may seem to be a complicated method, but, as we will have to wait some weeks for an automated or simpler method, I think making writing an automated tool for this method is not worth the effort. But maybe, if no automated method appears in some weeks, I write one myself as a comunity contribution. - alvaroag
Thanks to VanillaTbone of XDA Developers for his awesome ADB For Dummies guide and app.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=502010
And of course thanks to Bin4ry for his NEO recovery image.
And thanks to all the other contributors to this thread for their help, advice, and overall contribution.

And if this thread helped you in some way, Please click THANK YOU to show your appreciation ;)

Hello
Since there is no Xperia Pro forum I decided to post this here. Hope you can help me.

I recently bought an Xperia Pro MK16a and I have already unlocked the bootloader with setool (thanks to alejandrissimo and his remote unlock abilities). Now I'm searching for a way to root the device.

He and I experimented with it a bit, and we've already tried the recovery hot-boot with recovery.img from Arc, Play, and Neo, but with no luck. Recovery just doesn't boot.

He's guessing it's related to something like a different ramdisk or something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

taaviu

Jan 11, 2010
Tallinn
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia V
Hello
Since there is no Xperia Pro forum I decided to post this here. Hope you can help me.

I recently bought an Xperia Pro MK16a and I have already unlocked the bootloader with setool (thanks to alejandrissimo and his remote unlock abilities). Now I'm searching for a way to root the device.

He and I experimented with it a bit, and we've already tried the recovery hot-boot with recovery.img from Arc, Play, and Neo, but with no luck. Recovery just doesn't boot.

He's guessing it's related to something like a different ramdisk or something like that.

Thanks

If you bootloader is open you can flash directly "prerooted".img with fastboot? Arc and Neo have this option.

Regards!
Taavi

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alejandrissimo

Jan 12, 2011
unlock-bootloader.com
If you bootloader is open you can flash directly "prerooted".img with fastboot? Arc and Neo have this option.

Regards!
Taavi

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk

To be able to generate a pre-rooted system.img you need first a rooted phone and this is exactly the problem, how to root it if there is no recovery for MK16

For sure RootXperia.zip will work but for install it the proper recovery is needed first i guess

rcummings100

Oct 5, 2007
Toronto
I think that NEO recovery should work:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1183465

Maybe the keys are wrong mapped, you have to try a little. Just flash RootXperia.zip from Recovery and you are rooted.

Regards

That was the first thing I tried, since the Pro should just be a Neo with a keyboard. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Here's the output:

C:\root-play>fastboot boot recoveryNEO.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
(bootloader) USB download speed was 9336kB/s
OKAY [ 0.517s]
booting...
(bootloader) Download buffer format: boot IMG
OKAY [ 0.002s]
finished. total time: 0.519s​

The phone is clearly still turned on, but no longer in fastboot mode, and the screen is totally blank, though the backlight is active.

I've tried the same thing with the Arc and Play recovery images and had the same results.

What do you mean by the keys are mapped wrong?

Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.knowyourcell.com/sony-er..._hard_reset_the_sony_ericsson_xperia_pro.html

The instructions on how to get into Recovery on that site are very similar to how to do it on the stock build of my previous phone, the Motorola Milestone. Unfortunately THEY DON'T WORK :(

I've tried substituting the volume down button with other keys, but with no success. Pretty difficult to guess the right key combination when there's a full qwerty keyboard on here :confused:

Is there a way to boot into the standard recovery from ADB or fastboot or something? Possibly from an on-board terminal emulator? A command like "Reboot Recovery" perhaps? Or is that too easy to be possible...

It's ironic that my old Motorola milestone with a totally locked down bootloader proved easier to hack than this phone with it's wide open bootloader

Last edited:

Bin4ry

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 14, 2008
Berlin
Well,

i wrote you already in PM. But now here too. The PRO is only released in Canada and some Asien Countrys. Until it is released in Europe i cannot help you, because i need the device for testing.

One thing you can try:
after you fastboot boot and the phone is in blackscreenmode please unplug and replug it to pc.
Now try to adb shell on it. Is this working? If yes please gimme a logcat :)

Regards

Reactions: rcummings100

rcummings100

Oct 5, 2007
Toronto
Well,

i wrote you already in PM. But now here too. The PRO is only released in Canada and some Asien Countrys. Until it is released in Europe i cannot help you, because i need the device for testing.

One thing you can try:
after you fastboot boot and the phone is in blackscreenmode please unplug and replug it to pc.
Now try to adb shell on it. Is this working? If yes please gimme a logcat :)

Regards

Nope, adb shell doesn't work. Shows "error: device not found"

But because I'm new to this (I came from a motorola milestone), I want to make sure I did what you actually asked of me:

- I turned on the phone into fastboot mode (hold down menu, plug in usb cable, get blue light)
- from a command prompt window: fastboot boot recoveryARC.img
(replacing ARC with NEO and PLAY depending on the image I'm trying)
- phone now boots into black screen, no blue light, screen backlight is on
- unplug from computer, plug back in
- from command prompt: adb shell

Are those the instructions you wanted me to follow?

Fastboot works fine. Can I do anything from there? Getvar for example, or something? can I run the command Update and flash the RootXperia.zip file? Or will that not work because it's not signed properly or something similar?

Bin4ry

Nov 14, 2008
Berlin
Via fastboot you cannot flash the zip. Zip needs to be flashed via recovery, because this only contains some files and not whole system!
I'm sorry, you have to wait until i have the device! Only if the adb shell would work i could help you, if even this is not working it's hard to say what's goin wrong. All you can do is sending me the kernel.sin from you firmware. Maybe i can mix something up with this file ;)

Regards

rcummings100

Oct 5, 2007
Toronto
Via fastboot you cannot flash the zip. Zip needs to be flashed via recovery, because this only contains some files and not whole system!

I figured as much. Just hoped I might be wrong.

I'm sorry, you have to wait until i have the device! Only if the adb shell would work i could help you, if even this is not working it's hard to say what's goin wrong. All you can do is sending me the kernel.sin from you firmware. Maybe i can mix something up with this file ;)

Regards

Can anyone give me instructions or pointers on how I extract the kernel.sin from my firmware?

Thanks for your continued patience with me. I really do appreciate it.

Bin4ry

Nov 14, 2008
Berlin
Process is simple:

IF you NEVER used UpdateService or PCCompanion BEFORE you unlocked your bootloader then : You need to relock bootloader first (sorry :/)
Then have to use SonyEricsson UpdateService/PC-Companion and tell it to REINSTALL/REPAIR your firmware.

If you used one of the tools before just skip the relock and do this:
After that is done you copy out the two files named:
FILE_XXXXXXXXXXX
FILE_XXXXXXXXXXX

where XXXXXXXXXX are some numbers. This files are located in the subfolder blob_fs inside the UpdateService/PC-Companion directory.
Just copy it on a "safe" place.
After that is done you have to start flashtool go to the "Advanced" Tab -> Decrypt -> then just choose the folder where you copied the files and let flashtool do its work :)
Afterwards upload the Firmware which is now present as a FTF file, somewhere and post it here (others will be happy to to have the whole MK16a Firmware :D )

Regards

rcummings100

Oct 5, 2007
Toronto
Process is simple:

IF you NEVER used UpdateService or PCCompanion BEFORE you unlocked your bootloader then : You need to relock bootloader first (sorry :/)
Then have to use SonyEricsson UpdateService/PC-Companion and tell it to REINSTALL/REPAIR your firmware.

FILE_XXXXXXXXXXX
FILE_XXXXXXXXXXX

where XXXXXXXXXX are some numbers. This files are located in the subfolder blob_fs inside the UpdateService/PC-Companion directory.
After that is done you have to start flashtool go to the "Advanced" Tab -> Decrypt -> then just choose the folder where you copied the files and let flashtool do its work :)
Afterwards upload the Firmware which is now present as a FTF file, somewhere and post it here (others will be happy to to have the whole MK16a Firmware :D )

Regards

Unfortunately the very first thing I did with the phone was unlock the bootloader. 'Fido' is the only phone company selling the phone, but I'm with 'Rogers'...so I needed to unlock the bootloader in order to actually use the phone as a phone, which was and remains the most important thing to me.

That being said, I'll see if Alejandrissimo can give me a hand with re-locking the bootloader, then I can get the firmware as you instructed, then have him re-unlock the bootloader. I'll just stick my SIM Card back in my old motorola milestone while we work on this so I can still have a working phone.

You're awesome Bin4ry for helping like this :D

Reactions: Bin4ry

ratius

Oct 8, 2011
Montréal
Maybe I could help with that since I am with Fido and I have a locked bootloader (I haven't touched the phone except adding an ssh key) with my Xperia Pro MK16a. Though I know my way with ssh, I am new with the rooting stuff and Android. If you need some files or something from a locked bootloader I can help with that, just need some simple instructions.

Bin4ry said that files FILE_XXXXXXXXXXX were located under UpdateService/PC-Companion, can I access those via ssh? I have used PCCompanion only once when I got on Windows, but I am always on Ubuntu so I was wondering if I could get those file via scp and if so, where are they?.

rcummings100

Oct 5, 2007
Toronto
Maybe I could help with that since I am with Fido and I have a locked bootloader (I haven't touched the phone except adding an ssh key) with my Xperia Pro MK16a. Though I know my way with ssh, I am new with the rooting stuff and Android. If you need some files or something from a locked bootloader I can help with that, just need some simple instructions.

Bin4ry said that files FILE_XXXXXXXXXXX were located under UpdateService/PC-Companion, can I access those via ssh? I have used PCCompanion only once when I got on Windows, but I am always on Ubuntu so I was wondering if I could get those file via scp and if so, where are they?.

If you could, that'd be great. I don't especially want to lock my bootloader over again since you have to use SETool to unlock it, which costs money each time you use it (essentially). Not to mention it involves some acrobatics with a paperclip to connect a testpoint inside the phone to a ground!
Unless there's an easier way to lock/unlock now that I've done it once that is...if so, I'm happy to do it.

As for accessing the files Bin4ry is talking about, boot to windows if you can and do it that way. Just follow his instructions to repair your firmware, then go to that folder in windows (it's located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Companion). At least, that's my understanding.

alvaroag

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 2, 2010
Lima
Hi. Yesterday, I bought a Xperia Pro. Ive spent most of the afternoon and the nigh trying to root it, and I've finally got how to do it. It's a manual method, as there is not an automated one.

There's no need to say I'm not responsible for any damaged or bricked devices(but mine is working ok :) )

What you need:
1. The Xperia Neo Recovery, by Bin4ry, get it here
2. xperia_pro_root.zip I'm attaching. It contains the files from RootXperia.zip, but without the update.zip-related files, as they are not needed.
3. The Android SDK, with the Google USB Drivers Package.
4. If you've never used your device in fastboot mode, you may also need to follow steps 7 & 8 from SE bootloader unlocking tutorial.
5. [NOT REALLY SURE] Application Debugging & Unknown Sources enabled.
6. [NOT REALLY SURE] Unlocked Bootloader. This is because mine is unlocked, but I don't really know if that is required to boot the recovery image via fastboot.

I'm assuming that you are working on a Windows/Unix terminal, with a working directory where you have recoveryNeo.img, Superuser.apk and su /these two from the zip file I attach), and that fastboot & adb are on the PATH. If some file is not on the working directory, or fastboot/adb are not on the path, use full paths.

Instructions:
1. Disconnect & Power off the phone.
2. Hold down the menu button and connect the USB cable.
(If Windows asks you to install the drivers, install the driver from ANDROIDSDK\extras\google\usb_driver folder).
3. Run "fastboot boot recoveryNeo.img". The fastboot device will be disconnected, but after a few seconds you will get a Mass Storage & ADB Interface Detected.
4. Run "adb shell". If it says "device not found", disconnect, remove the battery, and try again from step 1. Also, try changing the USb port on your CPU. I'm not really sure about this, but I had to do it twice.
5. Run "mount -t yaffs2 -o rw,relatime /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system" from the adb terminal. If it says /system is not empty. run "rmdir /system/bin" and then run mount again.
6. type "exit"
7. Run :

adb shell

8. From the adb shell, run:

chown 0 /system/bin/su
chgrp 0 /system/bin/su
cd
umount /system
reboot

9. The adb shell will terminate. Disconnect the phone, wait for ~15 sec, remove the battery, and then turn it on.
10. Your device should now be rooted.

Notes:
1. When booting with recoveryNeo.img, the screen will keep blank. That's normal(I think).
2. This may seem to be a complicated method, but, as we will have to wait some weeks for an automated or simpler method, I think making writing an automated tool for this method is not worth the effort. But maybe, if no automated method appears in some weeks, I write one myself as a comunity contribution.

Hope this is usefull for you.

Attachments

• xperia_pro_root.zip
    133.6 KB · Views: 132

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is now a MUCH easier way to root ALL Sony Ericsson 2011 phones including the Xperia Pro, making these instructions obsolete. Please see DooMLorD's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1319653

Remember to say thanks to DooMLorD for his awesome work!

However, I'll sill keep the 2 sets of instructions here in case anyone needs them or wants to refer back to them. My ZIPs do have all the drivers needed with good instructions on how to install them after all ;)

My original instructions based on alvaroag's work can be found below, and the instructions via my instructions the Xperia Pro CWM Recovery method can be found on post 50 of this thread.

It's important to note that DooMLorD's tool only works for Windows. You can still use our original method in this post if you're running Linux.

We finally have a method to root the Xperia Pro MK16a (and PROBABLY MK16i) thanks to XDA Member alvaroag!!
    This is his method, with the instructions modified by myself for ease of use.

What you need before you begin:
    1. A rock hard stomach, because should the very unlikely happen and this brick/damage your phone in some way, I’m not responsible ;)

2. An Unlocked Bootloader

NOTE: Sony offers a totally free, official, and simple method to unlock your bootloader here: http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/
    Should that not work for you, your phone is probably SIM locked from your carrier (FIDO for example does that). You'll need to get the bootloader unlocked remotely from someone who has SETool and the appropriate security USB dongle. THIS COSTS MONEY, as SETool requires that user to pay per use.
    Please see this thread for further instructions as it's the method I used personally: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232050
    Alejandrissimo was awesome at helping me through it.

3. On the phone itself navigate to the following locations:
    a. Settings - applications – Make sure Unknown Sources (first option) is checked
    b. Settings – applications – development – Make sure USB Debugging is checked

4. Download this archive. It contains all the files and drivers you will need:

Instructions:
    1. Extract the archive you downloaded to a folder on your computer. Where doesn’t matter as long as you remember where it is.

2. Navigate to the folder ADB For Dummies (thanks to VanillaTbone for his guide) and install ADB for Dummies.exe
    a. This will create a new folder on your C: drive called “android-sdk-windows”

3. Take the file “xperia_pro_root.zip” from the archive you downloaded and extract the contents to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\

4. Power off the phone and make sure it’s not plugged into anything.

5. Hold down the MENU button and connect the USB cable. A blue light will appear. If a blue light does NOT appear, then your phone can't get into FastBoot, and probably still has the bootloader locked.

a. If Windows asks you to install the drivers, install the driver from the folder “Fastboot Driver” in the archive you downloaded. Should those drivers not work, try the drivers found in "C:\android-sdk-windows\google-usb_driver"

6. Open the “Fastboot” folder in windows explorer (its part of the archive you extracted in step 1. Hold down the shift key and right click on an empty space in the folder window, select Open Command Prompt Here.

7. Type:

fastboot boot recoveryNEO.img​

8. The blue light on the phone will turn off, the screen on the phone will be blank, and the phone will be disconnected from windows, but after a few seconds you will get a Mass Storage & ADB Interface Detected. Note that the phone’s screen will continue to be black for the rest of this process. THIS IS NORMAL, your phone has not been bricked. If you need to stop anywhere along the way, simply unplug the phone from the computer and take your battery out. The phone will return to normal operations, though UNROOTED.

a. Windows will PROBABLY say hardware failed to install. This is fine.
    i. Open the start menu, right click on “Computer” and select “Manage”
    ii. Select Device Manager on the left side of the Computer Management window that opens.
    iii. Look for the unknown piece of hardware. Right click on it and select update/install driver.
    iv. Browse your computer, and select the main folder you extracted the archive to way back in step 1 – the drivers are somewhere in there, don’t worry about where, as windows will find them just fine.

9. On your computer navigate to “C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools”. Hold down the shift button on your keyboard and Right click on an empty part of the windows, and select “Open Command Window Here”

10. Type "adb shell". If it says "device not found", disconnect the USB cable, remove the battery, and try again from step 6. Also, try changing the USb port on your CPU. I'm not really sure about this, but I had to do it twice.

Now you’ll have to run a bunch of commands inside the ADB Shell window (the one with the black background and looks like a DOS window). You can just copy and paste each one from here. Be sure that once you start this step, you continue until the end of these instructions.

mount -t yaffs2 -o rw,relatime /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system​

If it says “/system is not empty” then type:
    "rmdir /system/bin" and then run the first mount command again

type "exit"

11. From the DOS window, Run these commands (again copy and paste each one is fine)
    adb shell

12. From the adb shell, run:
    chown 0 /system/bin/su
    chgrp 0 /system/bin/su
    cd
    umount /system
    reboot​

13. The adb shell will terminate. Disconnect the phone from the USB cable, wait for about 15 sec, remove the battery, and then turn it on.

14. From the phone, Open the Market, search for "Busybox" by "Stephen (Stericson)". Install that

15. From the Market, go to My Apps, search for "Superuser" by "ChainsDD" and make sure you're running the latest edition

16. Run the App "Superuser" from your app tray.
    - under the settings tab, scroll to the bottom and click SU Binary "tap to check for updates"

17. Run the "Busybox Installer" app. Follow the onscreen instructions - just leave everything at default.

Congratulations! Your device should now be rooted!
    I personally suggest downloading and installing Titanium Backup to make sure - it will run a root check on startup and notify you if anything is wrong.

Notes:
    This may seem to be a complicated method, but, as we will have to wait some weeks for an automated or simpler method, I think making writing an automated tool for this method is not worth the effort. But maybe, if no automated method appears in some weeks, I write one myself as a comunity contribution. - alvaroag
    Thanks to VanillaTbone of XDA Developers for his awesome ADB For Dummies guide and app.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=502010
    And of course thanks to Bin4ry for his NEO recovery image.
    And thanks to all the other contributors to this thread for their help, advice, and overall contribution.

And if this thread helped you in some way, Please click THANK YOU to show your appreciation ;)

Hello

Thanks
    Process is simple:

FILE_XXXXXXXXXXX
    FILE_XXXXXXXXXXX

Regards
    CONFIRMED, the below method works!!

I had previouslly tried steps 1 - 4 long before this was posted, and I couldn't get a response from ADB shell. However, I just did this from a new laptop, and everything worked fine. Until now I'd been trying it on my desktop. Something must have been screwed up with my settings or something.

Also note that you have to install Busybox from the market before doing anything with your root ;)

You're awesome!

Hi. Yesterday, I bought a Xperia Pro. Ive spent most of the afternoon and the nigh trying to root it, and I've finally got how to do it. It's a manual method, as there is not an automated one.

There's no need to say I'm not responsible for any damaged or bricked devices(but mine is working ok :) )

What you need:
    1. The Xperia Neo Recovery, by Bin4ry, get it here
    2. xperia_pro_root.zip I'm attaching. It contains the files from RootXperia.zip, but without the update.zip-related files, as they are not needed.
    3. The Android SDK, with the Google USB Drivers Package.
    4. If you've never used your device in fastboot mode, you may also need to follow steps 7 & 8 from SE bootloader unlocking tutorial.
    5. [NOT REALLY SURE] Application Debugging & Unknown Sources enabled.
    6. [NOT REALLY SURE] Unlocked Bootloader. This is because mine is unlocked, but I don't really know if that is required to boot the recovery image via fastboot.

I'm assuming that you are working on a Windows/Unix terminal, with a working directory where you have recoveryNeo.img, Superuser.apk and su /these two from the zip file I attach), and that fastboot & adb are on the PATH. If some file is not on the working directory, or fastboot/adb are not on the path, use full paths.

Instructions:
    1. Disconnect & Power off the phone.
    2. Hold down the menu button and connect the USB cable.
    (If Windows asks you to install the drivers, install the driver from ANDROIDSDK\extras\google\usb_driver folder).
    3. Run "fastboot boot recoveryNeo.img". The fastboot device will be disconnected, but after a few seconds you will get a Mass Storage & ADB Interface Detected.
    4. Run "adb shell". If it says "device not found", disconnect, remove the battery, and try again from step 1. Also, try changing the USb port on your CPU. I'm not really sure about this, but I had to do it twice.
    5. Run "mount -t yaffs2 -o rw,relatime /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system" from the adb terminal. If it says /system is not empty. run "rmdir /system/bin" and then run mount again.
    6. type "exit"
    7. Run :

adb shell

8. From the adb shell, run:

chown 0 /system/bin/su
    chgrp 0 /system/bin/su
    cd
    umount /system
    reboot

9. The adb shell will terminate. Disconnect the phone, wait for ~15 sec, remove the battery, and then turn it on.
    10. Your device should now be rooted.

Notes:
    1. When booting with recoveryNeo.img, the screen will keep blank. That's normal(I think).
    2. This may seem to be a complicated method, but, as we will have to wait some weeks for an automated or simpler method, I think making writing an automated tool for this method is not worth the effort. But maybe, if no automated method appears in some weeks, I write one myself as a comunity contribution.

Hope this is usefull for you.
    I think that NEO recovery should work:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1183465

Maybe the keys are wrong mapped, you have to try a little. Just flash RootXperia.zip from Recovery and you are rooted.

Regards
    could you help??

the rootxperia.zip replacement from androissu.com...which file do you down load

arm or x86

i use windows xp dont know what type of processor but it a hp machine

and mu xperia is a pro mk16i android 2.3.4. build 4.0.2.A.0.62 BASEBAND 8x55a

many thanks

kevin
    arm