ADB USB Driver

Search This thread

chrimage

Nov 15, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Thanks for posting the driver!

I've tried a few things with adb, and so far I can't get an install to work over usb. I tried the following command.

C:\...\android-sdk-windows-1.0_r1\tools>adb install OperaMini.apk
579 KB/s (0 bytes in 278155.000s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/OperaMini.apk
Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_MANIFEST_MALFORMED]

http://www.android-freeware.org/tutorial/how-to-install-apk-files-on-android-device-emulator Had some basic info about the emulator, not sure what would be different for the G1.

The "adb shell" option allows you to access a shell on the phone over USB, which is really great but it appears you don't have root privileges. Any ideas on how to obtain root priveleges? Also, is there a command to install from the android shell? When i cd to /sbin i get access denied. I'm trying to figure out some kind of way to invoke an install either from the device or over USB.

benmyers2941

Oct 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know about the USB installs, but it seems to be something with the APK as well. I also have the OperaMini.apk and it does nothing. I downloaded the iTunes remote via the G1 and it installed just fine without getting a PC involved.

benmyers2941

Oct 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So you were able to install the opera mini apk through adb with no trouble? I got the error listed above and did have debug mode on

I think that is caused by an issue with the the AndroidManifest.xml file within the APK having to do with going from "beta" to "live" Android. The same reason most of the apps were pulled from the store. I don't believe it takes a major change to make it compatible, but it's fully compiled so, unless you have a decompiler, I think we may be out of luck on that particular one. I have installed other apk's successfully using the same method.

benmyers2941

Oct 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Can someone explain this for this not so savvy person?

ADB is the Android Debug Bridge that comes as a part of the SKD. I don't think it was really intended as an end user tool. It has to be called from a command line. I know people have built basic UI's for it for file manipulation when the SDK was the only thing out there. If a better solution isn't found shortly I think we'll see one be made, or else I'll make one myself. In the end it seem to make a big difference of what you're trying to install some things work and some don't, there are some differences between the beta SDK and the G1.

Valicore

Feb 21, 2007
San Jose, California
For any developers out there, you can also access the ADB/DDMS feature through the Eclipse IDE, it provides a somewhat simpler graphic interface and is a really easy way to get screenshots. Has anyone tried just typing su through the ADB command prompt to see if it will switch you to # ?

Last edited:

chrimage

Nov 15, 2007
Huntsville, AL
For any developers out there, you can also access the ADB/DDMS feature through the Eclipse IDE, it provides a somewhat simpler graphic interface and is a really easy way to get screenshots. Has anyone tried just typing su through the ADB command prompt to see if it will switch you to # ?
the su command and sudo su returns "no permission" or "access denied" or something like that. That is also the same message i get when typing arbitrary commands that shouldn't be anything. And like i said earlier, /sbin along with many other directories are inaccessible. Hopefully someone will find a way to access the root account on the G1 pretty soon.

dagentooboy

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas
yes... must... have.... root...

Also a normal shell would be helpful esp when looking thru /proc/ for information.

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
Please help (ahhhhhh)

Okay So I am pulling my hair out here... I just booted android on my Vogue for the first time, everything works great, voice calls and sms.. But I can get a Inet connection but I am using Cricket not sprint so I added the username and password lines in default.txt and can connect, but Cricket uses a proxy for all http connections. So I found this article http://fggarcia.blogspot.com/2007/11/setting-up-proxy-for-android-emulator.html , which basicly says to use the adp app that comes in the sdk to add some lines to make the proxy. NOW, here is my problem... I can not for the life of me get my come (in windows or linux) to see my vogue while its in android..

In windows it does not appear ANYWHERE in the device manager... So I cannot install the driver, and in Linux it doesnt make a blip in dmesg..... USB debugging is marked and so is use adb....

It does charge when plugged in to the comp running linux.....

Can anyone please help me... And thanks to DZO and everyone else for there hard work on this project..

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
Ya USB isn't possible on Vogue yet, I just extracted data.img and added the proxy that way, but it still doesn't work. My Problem is I need all connection to use the proxy wap.mycricket.com:8080. I am not trying to be cheap or anything like the tzones thing for tmobile. Its just the only data plan cricket have use this proxy. So any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

lilwing

Jul 27, 2009
my computer already had a driver installed and when i try to update it with this one it says there is no better match for my hardware

anyone got a solution for this

mauaus

Oct 22, 2010
Im really sorry to bump this old thread up but i need the r3 drivers and i dont know why they are nowhere to be found on the official page... i think its a region lock thing...