Droid 4 Utility ICS Only

Search This thread

jsnweitzel

Apr 22, 2012
South Carolina
This tool is based on the original D4 Utility with additions and rewrites by me. Doing any of this is at your own risk.

08/14 Tool Version now 2.0 !!! THE JUMP TOOL IS DEAD!!! No reason for this now that we have ICS Fastboot files.

08/31 Tool Version now 2.1 Here's what's new

10/25 Tool Version 2.2 corrected minor script error and updated to safestrap 3.05

1. Set of instruction included within the tool. Once you open the tool select menu 1 to display them. This is a .txt file so you must have some reader (I use notepad++).

2. Safestrap 3.05 (Thanks Hashcode)

3. Latest Superuser (3.1.3) and binary (3.1.1)

4. Restore to 6.16.217 ICS or upgrade a GB phone to 6.16.217 ICS with option to save or erase data

5. Unroot script - This will remove superuser, the su binary and busybox. However if you boot into recovery it will still indicate root or at least past root (qe display in recovery). Even a fastboot with data wipe will not reset this.

Where to download: http://d-h.st/users/jsnweitzel

Add the ICS fastboot file to the lite tool to run menu 11 or 12. Get it here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/list.php Then unzip it and add the files to the "files" folder of the tool.

If you have trouble connecting your phone be sure you have the latest drivers installed from moto:
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78460/p/30,6720,8302

Use this tool at your own risk.

Last edited:

Sjaakbanaan

Aug 13, 2008
Can't wait to try this to go from .213 to .215! Will let you know my results. Right now, there are too many bugs in .213 for me to use it on a daily basis, hope .215 is better!

Edit: nevermind, d-h.st is back up again!

Edit 2: update went very smoothly, thanks!

Edit 3: fixed my issues with a data wipe - almost got bricked, but your tool saved me again! Now I'm back in action with .215 and having the best phone experience ever. If I could hit 'thanks' multiple times, I would!

Last edited:

panamakevin

I just pushed this to my phone and now it is running soo much better (mostly due to the new build of the ICS leak) I was missing a home button and the lock screen, but so far not seeing too many bugs and I have root again. Brilliant! Cheers!

bdbraaten

Sep 13, 2009
Minnesota
So let's see I'm reading this correctly.

I installed the 217 leak file today (got tired of waiting for the ota soak test) and lost root.

To get it back I just need the lite version linked above, is that correct?

bdbraaten

Sep 13, 2009
Minnesota
Yes only menu 9 will not work, everything else should be good.

Any thoughts on what's going on, I tried it and ran option 8 to root but my root apps aren't working. Here's what the screen says:
---------------------------------------------------
[*]

[*] Motorola ICS Root Exploit (Windows version)

[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)

[*]

[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you

[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone

[*] is connected via USB.

[*]

[*] Press enter to root your phone...

Press any key to continue . . .

[*]

[*] Waiting for device...

[*] Device found.

[*] Rebooting device...

[*] Waiting for device to reboot...

[*] Rebooting device again...

[*] Waiting for device to reboot...

[*] Attemping persistence...

remount succeeded

1397 KB/s (0 bytes in 22364.000s)

2321 KB/s (0 bytes in 2005736.000s)

2196 KB/s (0 bytes in 843503.000s)

[*] Cleaning up...

[*] Rebooting...

[*] Exploit complete!

[*] Press any key to exit.

Press any key to continue . . .

---------------------------------------------------

So it looks like it worked I don't see superuser in my app drawer and when I try an app that can use root like estrongs file explorer it says "feature not available"

Any ideas? I've tried it multiple times and with two different computers (one on vista the other xp pro) and same result.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jsnweitzel

Apr 22, 2012
South Carolina
It look like the install of busybox and superuser were skipped (failed is probably more accurate) for some reason. Did you have the phone set to "MTP" or "PTP" mode. You don't want to run it in mass storage.

Last edited:

jsnweitzel

Apr 22, 2012
South Carolina
I have only seen an issue with the mass storage mode. Check in the tool files folder and be sure that a copy of Superuser.apk is there. If it still doesn't work I can't see why. As a last resort you could try installing it from the market.

bdbraaten

Sep 13, 2009
Minnesota
I have only seen an issue with the mass storage mode. Check in the tool files folder and be sure that a copy of Superuser.apk is there. If it still doesn't work I can't see why. As a last resort you could try installing it from the market.

Thanks for the help, the superuser is there in the files folder.

I'm debating if I should try it from the market or just try fastbooting the phone and see what happens.

I only want to root to get rid of the bloat, not sure if I'll install custom roms or not yet on this one.

bdbraaten

Sep 13, 2009
Minnesota
You can "disable" some apps without root. Looking under settings and apps. Select one and hit disable. For some you will have to uninstall updates first.

I'll look into that.

I'm going to try downloading the full tool and try that, I was just using the lite version. It shouldn't make a difference but I figure it doesn't hurt to try it. If that fails I'll try to decide what my next step will be.

I tried to install superuser from the market but it wouldn't let me.

myfishbear

Nov 11, 2010
Northren NJ
just get the one on the market and update the binary and it should work fine.. tib wiil fix the perms when you run it the first time. tried it b4 and it works fine

bdbraaten

Sep 13, 2009
Minnesota
just get the one on the market and update the binary and it should work fine.. tib wiil fix the perms when you run it the first time. tried it b4 and it works fine

Are you talking about the superuser app from the market? I tried to get it and it wouldn't let me install it, claims it's already installed but it doesn't show up in my app drawer.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!

I had an idea based on the comment about getting from the market so I tried the idea and it worked.

I copied the superuser apk file over to my sd card, I installed it from there and said to go ahead and replace the file that was there. I opened it directly after the install and updated the binarys (said it was current but did it anyway) now my root apps ask for and get super user permission.

So it looks like I'm up and running.

Thanks,

Brent.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tool is based on the original D4 Utility with additions and rewrites by me. Doing any of this is at your own risk.

08/14 Tool Version now 2.0 !!! THE JUMP TOOL IS DEAD!!! No reason for this now that we have ICS Fastboot files.

08/31 Tool Version now 2.1 Here's what's new

10/25 Tool Version 2.2 corrected minor script error and updated to safestrap 3.05

1. Set of instruction included within the tool. Once you open the tool select menu 1 to display them. This is a .txt file so you must have some reader (I use notepad++).

2. Safestrap 3.05 (Thanks Hashcode)

3. Latest Superuser (3.1.3) and binary (3.1.1)

4. Restore to 6.16.217 ICS or upgrade a GB phone to 6.16.217 ICS with option to save or erase data

5. Unroot script - This will remove superuser, the su binary and busybox. However if you boot into recovery it will still indicate root or at least past root (qe display in recovery). Even a fastboot with data wipe will not reset this.

Where to download: http://d-h.st/users/jsnweitzel

Add the ICS fastboot file to the lite tool to run menu 11 or 12. Get it here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/list.php Then unzip it and add the files to the "files" folder of the tool.

If you have trouble connecting your phone be sure you have the latest drivers installed from moto:
    https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78460/p/30,6720,8302

Use this tool at your own risk.
    Bump,

Tool version now 2.1 with ICS Fastboot files-option and a few updates.
    FYI, there is no link to the .217 OTA zip in the OP.
    So let's see I'm reading this correctly.

I installed the 217 leak file today (got tired of waiting for the ota soak test) and lost root.

To get it back I just need the lite version linked above, is that correct?

Yes only menu 9 will not work, everything else should be good.
    You can "disable" some apps without root. Looking under settings and apps. Select one and hit disable. For some you will have to uninstall updates first.