New kernel with dual boot

Search This thread

hal_2000

Oct 16, 2012
Old method, read post 2

Date 05-11-2012 Huawei s7-105 dual boot kernel
by hal_2000

Hi all, first i like to thank irfanbagus without is help this cound not be possible, look at the
original post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1598803

This is stock kernel 2.6.32-9-ideos plus dual boot features
kernel 2.6.32.9-ideos == android 2.2.2 == froyo

Warnings:
If your kernel different from 2.6.32.9 it will not work
If you dont know what you are doing stop, I'm not responsible if you brick your device
the rom2 must be compatible with kernel 2.6.32

Works on:
my huawei s7-105
huawei s7-10x – possible if kernel = 2.6.32-9
huawei s7-slim – possibly not, because different hardware

How to install:
Follow this steps, if not sure, stop do not go on
1.1-back up your rom, just in case :)
1.2-must be root, huawei must be rooted to work properly, if not stop
1.3-must have cwm install, if not stop
1.4-in external sdcard make 3 partitions, format it in ext2, in stock kernel ext3 does not work
1st fat32 for your data
2nd ext2 for system
3rd ext2 for cache
4th ext2 for data
if you have already an scard in fat32, resize is a good option :)
I use a 2gb sdcard, 1gb for fat and 300mb for other partitions, i'm a linux user so I use gparted
to create partitions, windows tools are also available, google for it
1.5-unzip the file in a directory
1.6-connect huawei s7-105 to pc
1.7-boot huawei in fastboot mode, exec “c:\directory\adb reboot bootloader”
1.8-wait, until it blanks the screen, on top in says --fastboot mode--
1.9-exec “c:\directory\fastboot flash boot boot-dual.img”, it will take 20 to 30s
1.10-exec “c:\directory\fastboot reboot”
1.11-thats it, you just install the stock kernel with dual boot

How to test it:
2.1-read the how to install, and install the kernel with dual boot
2.2-back up your rom, if not done in 1.1
2.3-you must have rooted the huawei, if not stop
2.4-you must have cwm install
2.5-boot huawei in cwm = recovery exec “c:\directory\adb shell”, then “#su”, and finally type
“#reboot recovery”
2.6-you have rebooted in cwm, choose install zip from sdcard, then choose apply zip, chose file
stock-test-rom2.zip
this will install the custom rom “stock-test-rom2” to sdcard partions 2,3,4
it will take 4 to 6 minutes, it depends on speed of sdcard
2.7-after install, it will return to menu, click power = get back to menu
2.8-reboot
2.9-huawei will boot in rom1, the one you have already,
2.10-go to file explorer, create a empty file in external sdcard = 1st fat partitions, name it
“bootsdcard”
2.11-reboot
2.12-it will boot the rom2, it will take 4 to 6 minutes, the 1st time, depends on speed of external
sdcard
2.13-to boot the rom1 again, simply delete the file “bootsdcard” in 1st fat partitions

Why have dual boot ???
I have done it just to prove it is possible :)
No, I did it to improve my huawei s7-105, the people at huawei stop development for this fine
little tablet a long time ago and I want to have gingerbread on it or android 4.01, got tired of waiting, so
this way is easier to test custom rom, and less provable to brick the tablet when in development.
The rom2 must be compatible with kernel 2.6.32, you can not install android 2.1 in rom1 and
android 2.2 in rom2, is not possible

To do next:
– compile better kernel, with ext3 or battery saving options
– compile a better custom rom, maybe gingerbread or ics or cm9

file list in zip:
boot-dual.img = kernel 2.6.32-9 with dual boot
stock-test-rom2.zip = simply custom rom = stock rom test = android 2.2.2
fastboot = fastboot for linux
fastboot-windows = fastboot for windows
adb = adb for linux
adb-windows = adb for windows

problems in install, post it, I will try to help you

link to the zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x5pcymooopb4z6/s7-105-kernel.zip

Sentence of the week... “,,,dont ask for it, do it...”

Last edited:
Reactions: savie and haukew

hal_2000

Oct 16, 2012
multi-boot kernel

New method, multi-boot n roms

With this method we can test new roms faster then the dual-boot, no need to create the partitions, and we can have many rom, as long we have space in external sdcard, for now only 3 rom available, if you need more ask, i will extend to 20 :)
you will need about 500mb of space for each rom

How it work:
Begin by creating the following directories in external sdcard:
/sdcrad2/multiboot/rom2
/sdcrad2/multiboot/rom3
/sdcrad2/multiboot/rom4

inside of rom(x) must be 3 files, system.img, data.img and cache.img
to create files, in linux do:
dd if=/dev/zero of=system.img bs=1000000 count=200
mkfs.ext2 system.img

make it a ext2 file type, the 2.6.32 kernel only accepts ext2 files, for me is better I think because ext3 and ext4 have journaling that implies a lot of reads and writes, reducing the life of the sdcard

then mount the system.img file in linux
mount -t ext2 -o loop system.img /some_dir

copy the files of the rom to /some_dir, adjust the files permissions like you see in updater-script
unmount /some_dir
and copy the 3 files to “/sdcrad2/multiboot/rom2”

create a empty file in external sd card like “/sdcard2/rom2”

install the multi-boot kernel, boot in fastboot (vol up+home+power) then execute in command line
fastboot flash boot boot-multi.img
fastboot reboot

that it,

in the case the rom doesn't boot, remove battery and sdcard, power on and it will boot from rom1 (phone internal memory)

roms that work with this kernel, tested in one S7-105
-- stock rom, Indonesia 2.2.2
-- froyofusion rom, by joelian good rom
-- trizet v03, by tri-zet

to do next:
--maybe port cm7 to S7

questions:
ask, I will reply.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/697ye5exf6386nw/multi-boot.zip

hal_2000

Last edited:
Reactions: eyadk and savie

raz0r09

Mar 15, 2009
Hi,

do you know if CM9 oder CM10 will function? Which kernel is used by CM9 or CM10?

hal_2000

Oct 16, 2012
Hi, i'm not sure but all the cm9 and cm10 roms i have lookup use kernel at least 2.6.35 or 2.6.38, this dual-boot kernel is 2.6.32 so probally will not work, but if you have a more recent kernel for huawei s7, give it to me and i will add that function and see it it works.

Note: i was wrong, last night found a cm10 version in a russian forum that uses kernel 2.6.32-ideos with some add on.
I also want in the future to compile a more recent kernel, but write now i'm learning how i can port roms :D

Hal_2000

Last edited:
Reactions: savie

savie

Feb 8, 2012
Hi, i'm not sure but all the cm9 and cm10 roms i have lookup use kernel at least 2.6.35 or 2.6.38, this dual-boot kernel is 2.6.32 so probally will not work, but if you have a more recent kernel for huawei s7, give it to me and i will add that function and see it it works.

Note: i was wrong, last night found a cm10 version in a russian forum that uses kernel 2.6.32-ideos with some add on.
I also want in the future to compile a more recent kernel, but write now i'm learning how i can port roms :D

Hal_2000

Hello hal_2000

Would u share ur initramfs source?
Im try to port to my p1000 from original thread (irfanbagus) but not luck.. exec command not running when i add to init.rc

Ps. Thats irfanbagus too give me info that u try to port to tab so i ask to u..

Thanks before
savie

hal_2000

Oct 16, 2012
Hi Savie, your kernel for galaxy y works great, thanks for that.
My initram source is the same as irfanbagus (dual-boot) , the multiboot its the same with a few more lines :) , you can extrat from the boot img file, here is the link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cxj05isqvswucp/boot-multi.img

If you need more help, ask.
p.s.
One question about arm toolchain, do you know wicht toolchain comes gcc version 4.4.0 ?
My S7-105 kernel is compile with that version, i have version 4.5.2 when i compile the kernel it boots but then reboot, i guess the modules are not compatible, i need to test with arm toolchain with gcc 4.4.0.

hal_2000

savie

Feb 8, 2012
My initram source is the same as irfanbagus (dual-boot) , the multiboot its the same with a few more lines :) , you can extrat from the boot img file, here is the link

p.s.
One question about arm toolchain, do you know wicht toolchain comes gcc version 4.4.0 ?
My S7-105 kernel is compile with that version, i have version 4.5.2 when i compile the kernel it boots but then reboot, i guess the modules are not compatible, i need to test with arm toolchain with gcc 4.4.0.

hal_2000

Thank you hal_2000 will check later im on phone mode this week..

Thats make me confuse in young only follow irfanbagus and working but when try to gtab p1000 with same procedure its nothing happen.. :confused:

Still follow samsung source recomended use arm-2009q3-none-linux-gnueabi gcc4.4.1 coz so far only that can make my kernel booting..

I think something not good in my initamfs coz cant execution 'exec' command and i dont know why..

Last edited:

hal_2000

Oct 16, 2012
Hi Savie, lets see if i can help you, if exec dont run, check if you have busybox in /sbin, check the version and permission, also check type of cpu, best bet is copy busybox that is working on device, irfanbagus dual-boot as busybox for a arm v6 cpu, my mutlboot as busybox for arm v7 cpu, diferent types of devices uses diferent type of cpu, busybox need to be compatible with type of cpu.

Hope it helps, try to connect to device with adb as soon it boot up, and check what is executed.

good luck, need more help ask.

hal_2000

savie

Feb 8, 2012
Hi Savie, lets see if i can help you, if exec dont run, check if you have busybox in /sbin, check the version and permission, also check type of cpu, best bet is copy busybox that is working on device, irfanbagus dual-boot as busybox for a arm v6 cpu, my mutlboot as busybox for arm v7 cpu, diferent types of devices uses diferent type of cpu, busybox need to be compatible with type of cpu.

Hope it helps, try to connect to device with adb as soon it boot up, and check what is executed.

hal_2000

Mmm i see i use irfanbagus busybox,., thats maybe the problem,., i will try next week coz my laptop still repair,., thank you for ur advice friend,.,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Old method, read post 2

Date 05-11-2012 Huawei s7-105 dual boot kernel
    by hal_2000

Hi all, first i like to thank irfanbagus without is help this cound not be possible, look at the
    original post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1598803

This is stock kernel 2.6.32-9-ideos plus dual boot features
    kernel 2.6.32.9-ideos == android 2.2.2 == froyo

Warnings:
    If your kernel different from 2.6.32.9 it will not work
    If you dont know what you are doing stop, I'm not responsible if you brick your device
    the rom2 must be compatible with kernel 2.6.32

Works on:
    my huawei s7-105
    huawei s7-10x – possible if kernel = 2.6.32-9
    huawei s7-slim – possibly not, because different hardware

How to install:
    Follow this steps, if not sure, stop do not go on
    1.1-back up your rom, just in case :)
    1.2-must be root, huawei must be rooted to work properly, if not stop
    1.3-must have cwm install, if not stop
    1.4-in external sdcard make 3 partitions, format it in ext2, in stock kernel ext3 does not work
    1st fat32 for your data
    2nd ext2 for system
    3rd ext2 for cache
    4th ext2 for data
    if you have already an scard in fat32, resize is a good option :)
    I use a 2gb sdcard, 1gb for fat and 300mb for other partitions, i'm a linux user so I use gparted
    to create partitions, windows tools are also available, google for it
    1.5-unzip the file in a directory
    1.6-connect huawei s7-105 to pc
    1.7-boot huawei in fastboot mode, exec “c:\directory\adb reboot bootloader”
    1.8-wait, until it blanks the screen, on top in says --fastboot mode--
    1.9-exec “c:\directory\fastboot flash boot boot-dual.img”, it will take 20 to 30s
    1.10-exec “c:\directory\fastboot reboot”
    1.11-thats it, you just install the stock kernel with dual boot

How to test it:
    2.1-read the how to install, and install the kernel with dual boot
    2.2-back up your rom, if not done in 1.1
    2.3-you must have rooted the huawei, if not stop
    2.4-you must have cwm install
    2.5-boot huawei in cwm = recovery exec “c:\directory\adb shell”, then “#su”, and finally type
    “#reboot recovery”
    2.6-you have rebooted in cwm, choose install zip from sdcard, then choose apply zip, chose file
    stock-test-rom2.zip
    this will install the custom rom “stock-test-rom2” to sdcard partions 2,3,4
    it will take 4 to 6 minutes, it depends on speed of sdcard
    2.7-after install, it will return to menu, click power = get back to menu
    2.8-reboot
    2.9-huawei will boot in rom1, the one you have already,
    2.10-go to file explorer, create a empty file in external sdcard = 1st fat partitions, name it
    “bootsdcard”
    2.11-reboot
    2.12-it will boot the rom2, it will take 4 to 6 minutes, the 1st time, depends on speed of external
    sdcard
    2.13-to boot the rom1 again, simply delete the file “bootsdcard” in 1st fat partitions

Why have dual boot ???
    I have done it just to prove it is possible :)
    No, I did it to improve my huawei s7-105, the people at huawei stop development for this fine
    little tablet a long time ago and I want to have gingerbread on it or android 4.01, got tired of waiting, so
    this way is easier to test custom rom, and less provable to brick the tablet when in development.
    The rom2 must be compatible with kernel 2.6.32, you can not install android 2.1 in rom1 and
    android 2.2 in rom2, is not possible

To do next:
    – compile better kernel, with ext3 or battery saving options
    – compile a better custom rom, maybe gingerbread or ics or cm9

file list in zip:
    boot-dual.img = kernel 2.6.32-9 with dual boot
    stock-test-rom2.zip = simply custom rom = stock rom test = android 2.2.2
    fastboot = fastboot for linux
    fastboot-windows = fastboot for windows
    adb = adb for linux
    adb-windows = adb for windows

problems in install, post it, I will try to help you

link to the zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x5pcymooopb4z6/s7-105-kernel.zip

Sentence of the week... “,,,dont ask for it, do it...”
    multi-boot kernel

New method, multi-boot n roms

With this method we can test new roms faster then the dual-boot, no need to create the partitions, and we can have many rom, as long we have space in external sdcard, for now only 3 rom available, if you need more ask, i will extend to 20 :)
    you will need about 500mb of space for each rom

How it work:
    Begin by creating the following directories in external sdcard:
    /sdcrad2/multiboot/rom2
    /sdcrad2/multiboot/rom3
    /sdcrad2/multiboot/rom4

inside of rom(x) must be 3 files, system.img, data.img and cache.img
    to create files, in linux do:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=system.img bs=1000000 count=200
    mkfs.ext2 system.img

make it a ext2 file type, the 2.6.32 kernel only accepts ext2 files, for me is better I think because ext3 and ext4 have journaling that implies a lot of reads and writes, reducing the life of the sdcard

then mount the system.img file in linux
    mount -t ext2 -o loop system.img /some_dir

copy the files of the rom to /some_dir, adjust the files permissions like you see in updater-script
    unmount /some_dir
    and copy the 3 files to “/sdcrad2/multiboot/rom2”

create a empty file in external sd card like “/sdcard2/rom2”

install the multi-boot kernel, boot in fastboot (vol up+home+power) then execute in command line
    fastboot flash boot boot-multi.img
    fastboot reboot

that it,

in the case the rom doesn't boot, remove battery and sdcard, power on and it will boot from rom1 (phone internal memory)

roms that work with this kernel, tested in one S7-105
    -- stock rom, Indonesia 2.2.2
    -- froyofusion rom, by joelian good rom
    -- trizet v03, by tri-zet

to do next:
    --maybe port cm7 to S7

questions:
    ask, I will reply.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/697ye5exf6386nw/multi-boot.zip

hal_2000

Hal_2000

p.s.

hal_2000

hal_2000