[Guide]Setting up ADB and Fastboot

Search This thread

mOh19973

Sep 1, 2011
Beirut
Definition:

ADB is the android debugging bridge that allows you to control your phone from your PC and is a bridge allowing you transfer stuff from it

Fastboot is usually used in bootloader and used a lot in unlocking your bootloader and commands in it

Setting up ADB:

1.Download the ZIP file from the attachments and extract it in C:\SDK\platform-tools (You will need to create these folders)
2. Go to command prompt by typing this word in menu search
3.Start writing
Code:
cd C:\SDK\platform-tools
adb.exe
You will see
Code:
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.29

-d                            - directs command to the only connected USB devic
e
                                 returns an error if more than one USB device is
 present.
 -e                            - directs command to the only running emulator.
                                 returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
 -s <serial number>            - directs command to the USB device or emulator w
ith
                                 the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERI
AL
                                 environment variable.
 -p <product name or path>     - simple product name like 'sooner', or
                                 a relative/absolute path to a product
                                 out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
                                 be an absolute path.
 devices                       - list all connected devices
 connect <host>[:<port>]       - connect to a device via TCP/IP
                                 Port 5555 is used by default if no port number
is specified.
 disconnect [<host>[:<port>]]  - disconnect from a TCP/IP device.
is specified.
                                 Using this command with no additional arguments

will disconnect from all connected TCP/IP devic
es.

device commands:
  adb push <local> <remote>    - copy file/dir to device
  adb pull <remote> [<local>]  - copy file/dir from device
  adb sync [ <directory> ]     - copy host->device only if changed
                                 (-l means list but don't copy)
                                 (see 'adb help all')
  adb shell                    - run remote shell interactively
  adb shell <command>          - run remote shell command
  adb emu <command>            - run emulator console command
  adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
  adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
                                 forward specs are one of:
                                   tcp:<port>
                                   localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
                                   localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
                                   localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
                                   dev:<character device name>
                                   jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
  adb jdwp                     - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and i
nstall it
                                 ('-l' means forward-lock the app)
                                 ('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
)
                                 ('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
  adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
                                 ('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
)
  adb bugreport                - return all information from the device
                                 that should be included in a bug report.

adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-shared|-noshared] [-all] [-system|-nosy
stem] [<packages...>]
                               - write an archive of the device's data to <file>
                                 If no -f option is supplied then the data is wr
itten
                                 to "backup.ab" in the current directory.
                                 (-apk|-noapk enable/disable backup of the .apks
 themselves
                                    in the archive; the default is noapk.)
                                 (-shared|-noshared enable/disable backup of the
 device's
                                    shared storage / SD card contents; the defau
lt is noshared.)
                                 (-all means to back up all installed applicatio
ns)
                                 (-system|-nosystem toggles whether -all automat
ically includes
                                    system applications; the default is to inclu
de system apps)
                                 (<packages...> is the list of applications to b
e backed up.  If
                                    the -all or -shared flags are passed, then t
he package
                                    list is optional.  Applications explicitly g
iven on the
                                    command line will be included even if -nosys
tem would
                                    ordinarily cause them to be omitted.)

adb restore <file>           - restore device contents from the <file> backup
archive

adb help                     - show this help message
  adb version                  - show version num

scripting:
  adb wait-for-device          - block until device is online
  adb start-server             - ensure that there is a server running
  adb kill-server              - kill the server if it is running
  adb get-state                - prints: offline | bootloader | device
  adb get-serialno             - prints: <serial-number>
  adb status-window            - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
  adb remount                  - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
  adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
  adb reboot-bootloader        - reboots the device into the bootloader
  adb root                     - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
  adb usb                      - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
  adb tcpip <port>             - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
e specified port
networking:
  adb ppp <tty> [parameters]   - Run PPP over USB.
 Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
 <tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
 [parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
  <localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
    is updated.

environmental variables:
  ADB_TRACE                    - Print debug information. A comma separated list
 of the following values
                                 1 or all, adb, sockets, packets, rwx, usb, sync
, sysdeps, transport, jdwp
  ANDROID_SERIAL               - The serial number to connect to. -s takes prior
ity over this if given.
  ANDROID_LOG_TAGS             - When used with the logcat option, only these de
bug tags are printed.
Don't freak out everything will be explained

4.Connect device and make sure that USB Debugging is enabled from Settings:Applications:Development(on GB)
Settings:Developer Options(on ICS and HC)

5.Write
Code:
adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
Device name

6.There are common commands used on ADB:
Code:
adb reboot 
adb reboot recovery
adb reboot bootloader
adb push C:\<directory>\file /sdcard/
adb pull /sdcard/file C:\<directory>\
adb install C:\<directory>/file.apk
              or /sdcard/<directory>/file.apk
adb remount
Push and Pull means copy form directory to another

ADB Shell for in device commands
Code:
adb shell
#mv /sdcard/file /system/app
#cp /sdcard/file /system/app
#rm /sdcard/file 
#mkdir /sdcard/yourfoldernamehere
#ls /sdcard/<directory>

Setting up fastboot: Your phone must be on bootloader
Code:

Commands List:
Code:
fastboot devices – lists which devices in fastboot mode are currently attached to your computer

fastboot boot <filename> – boots a rom stored on your pc specified by the filename

fastboot flash <partition> <filename> – flashes a rom stored on your pc, partition can be one of {boot, recovery, system, userdata}
Example: fastboot flash recovery C:\<directory>\recovery.img

PS: When i wrote <directory> it means like C:\Users\Desktop\Desktop\file
Or you can put the file in the the platform-tools folder you created so
write Ex:
Code:
adb push file.apk /sdcard/

Attachments

• platform-tools.zip
    440.1 KB · Views: 62,574
Last edited:

Ngoeun

Apr 20, 2012
Got stuck with htc logo after the LeeDroid flash on my HTC

Hi All,

Good morning. I am very new with Android, I did the flash rom using Leedroid 4.3.0 I can flash it ok, but it said I use s-off so I need to extract the boot.img from rom.zip and flash it.

I have no idea how to flash it. Can anyone guide me step by step.
I tried the ADB.exe with CMD but no luck, although it say (sending boot <3853 kb> ... okay, writing boot... OKAY, I still cannot get it to work, after reboot, I still got stuck with htc logo.
I am using HTC flyer, HBOOT 6.10.1002

Thank you in advance for your help

titasb

Sep 8, 2012
Incredible s stuck on loading

Hey All,
Here is my story -
Never felt the need of rooting my phone, until one of my relatives, done that for me. If I ever knew, that i will have so many problems, I would have never let him do that.
Moving on, I couldn't find a rom fitting myself, always had bugs, used too much of my battery, or so on. Got tired losing everything, everytime i had to change the rom, after finding a bug i couldn't stand. So, I came back to original rom 2.3.5. Thought i will just update and will have S-off phone with original software.
Somehow it didn't let me update, I stayed with that for few months, then one day i decided i can't stand the old soft, and started working on getting my phone back to s-on and original rom. Used Android flasher to flash this file engHBOOToverARX . The next step was to flash the original rom, via
Android flasher. But i couldn't find it on internet. Therefore i thought it's just gonna be easier and faster that i'll just go and scan for the update.
It found and finally was updating when I was happy i'll get back to normal phone. Unfortunately, It wouldn't load the software anymore, only the white screen with the HTC logo.

Bootloader still says
Revolutionary
Vivo PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT - 6.13.1002
RADIO - 3822.10.08.28_M
eMMC - boot
Apr 1 2011, 18:34:39

I tried to follow the steps, on the cmd.
But it looks like it can not find the device.
My phone is connected to the computer via usb cable and on the bootloader menu.

PLEASE HELP ASAP.

I am using my old Nokia 6310i as the backup plan at the moment, and believe me it is not fun at all, uxcept the fact that I make everyone laugh
when I take it from my pocket :D

Titas

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
Where to start:

This is not a general help thread

This is not even in the Q&A forum

You have a VIVO which is an incredible s not SAGA (codename for desire s so you're in the wrong forum)

Sywepd form my DsereiS

ayanah

Oct 28, 2012
explanation

"Setting up fastboot: Your phone must be on bootloader "
1st... what do you mean by "Your phone must be on bootloader" & how to do ?? :)

2nd... I accessed this thread from another one concerning nabi II tablet rooting .... but I can't figure out the DIRECT importance to know that ...in regard to rooting the nabi II
.... is it essential ?? :confused:

3rd.. can u please write the prompt commands in full manner ... as sometimes u use "\" or "/" eg:
"adb install C:\<directory>/file.apk
or /sdcard/<directory>/file.apk "
that's a little bit difficult :eek: ..thanks

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
"Setting up fastboot: Your phone must be on bootloader "
1st... what do you mean by "Your phone must be on bootloader" & how to do ?? :)
If you don't know that then you need to do A LOT of reading before attempting to play around with your device

2nd... I accessed this thread from another one concerning nabi II tablet rooting .... but I can't figure out the DIRECT importance to know that ...in regard to rooting the nabi II
.... is it essential ?? :confused:
I have no idea how you got here from the Nabi II forum - unless someone there felt that this was a decent guide to also use on the Nabi II

3rd.. can u please write the prompt commands in full manner ... as sometimes u use "\" or "/" eg:
"adb install C:\<directory>/file.apk
or /sdcard/<directory>/file.apk "
that's a little bit difficult :eek: ..thanks
The OP is NOT going to rewrite his guide just for you after 6 months. Also, the difference between using '\' and '/' depends on whether you are using Windows or Linux - if you can't work that out then I would also suggest that you leave your device alone before you destroy it.

ayanah

Oct 28, 2012
a reply

If you don't know that then you need to do A LOT of reading before attempting to play around with your device

I have no idea how you got here from the Nabi II forum - unless someone there felt that this was a decent guide to also use on the Nabi II

The OP is NOT going to rewrite his guide just for you after 6 months. Also, the difference between using '\' and '/' depends on whether you are using Windows or Linux - if you can't work that out then I would also suggest that you leave your device alone before you destroy it.

by the way .. in less than 1 hrs I used his guide to install programs from my PC (& I had no previous knowledge even where to start command prompt) on my old galaxy i5700 (use it for trials) ... I installed the programs using "adb install ....." & every thing is OK ... & I had successfully rooted my galaxy s6102 using another thread (not the one click programs) also every thing is OK ... I'd like to tell you I know about (rooting) less than 2 days ago ... so I think this is a good start for me ..... SO .. it would be appreciated to anyone who could answer me in short just showing little pit details & the pitfalls to avoid ... :cool:

also I thought"\" is where I copy from &"/" where I copy to i.e. concerning the direction of the path ... but I wasn't sure so I needed to get that explained

thanks for help but let OP take the decision HIMSELF.

referral thread :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1905674

Last edited:

kcallis

Dec 18, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I have been trying to do a factory reset of the Nabi 2, and since I can't seem to access the "Mommy Mode", I thought I could do it from the recovery menu. So far I have yet to find any factor reset option available. Is there such a beast or am I out of luck?

c.m.b

Jul 6, 2012
I have been trying to do a factory reset of the Nabi 2, and since I can't seem to access the "Mommy Mode", I thought I could do it from the recovery menu. So far I have yet to find any factor reset option available. Is there such a beast or am I out of luck?

This is not the Nabi 2 forum...
And don't even know what the hell the "Mommy Mode" is, but with the command <adb reboot recovery> should bring you to the recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

kcallis

Dec 18, 2008
Little Rock, AR
And don't even know what the hell the "Mommy Mode" is, but with the command <adb reboot recovery> should bring you to the recovery.

Actually, was able to get it sorted... I am not sure how I ended up posting on this thread, because I was replying on the Rooting Nabi thread... Weird!

Taioba

Nov 27, 2012
If my USB debugging was off occurred when the soft brick, is there any way to get access via ADB?

My softbrick was caused by a bad file (framework-res.apk).

Is there any way to replace this file?

bodieism

Dec 23, 2010
Montana
Nice work mOh19973 :good:

Your guide came in really handy for rooting the Nabi 2 that we got my son for Christmas. He'll be really excited once he sees that the Google play store is now available :D

Thanks,

Bodie

sweetpea8852

Dec 27, 2012
HELP!!!

Definition:

ADB is the android debugging bridge that allows you to control your phone from your PC and is a bridge allowing you transfer stuff from it

Fastboot is usually used in bootloader and used a lot in unlocking your bootloader and commands in it

Setting up ADB:

1.Download the ZIP file from the attachments and extract it in C:\SDK\platform-tools (You will need to create these folders)
3.Start writing
Code:
adb.exe
You will see
Code:

e
 present.
unning.
ith
AL
                                 environment variable.

be an absolute path.
is specified.
is specified.

es.

device commands:
                                 (see 'adb help all')

nstall it
)
nal storage)
)

stem] [<packages...>]
itten
 themselves
 device's
lt is noshared.)
ns)
ically includes
de system apps)
e backed up.  If
he package
iven on the
tem would

archive

scripting:
d device
ad-write
e specified port
networking:

pdated.

is updated.

environmental variables:
 of the following values
ity over this if given.
bug tags are printed.

4.Connect device and make sure that USB Debugging is enabled from Settings:Applications:Development(on GB)

5.Write
Code:
adb devices
List of devices attached
Device name

Code:
adb reboot 
adb reboot recovery
adb reboot bootloader
adb remount

Code:
adb shell
#rm /sdcard/file 
#ls /sdcard/<directory>

Code:

Commands List:
Code:
fastboot devices – lists which devices in fastboot mode are currently attached to your computer

fastboot boot <filename> – boots a rom stored on your pc specified by the filename

fastboot flash <partition> <filename> – flashes a rom stored on your pc, partition can be one of {boot, recovery, system, userdata}

write Ex:
Code:

When I go to command and type in adb.exe i get an error. Also when I try to download the file it doesn't let me have the option of saving the file to platform-tools. I have to move it there myself and then I extract the files. I've done this several different times and still keep coming up with same results on the command prompt! Please help!!!! Been working on this for 4 hours!!! :eek:

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
Once in directory you do not type adb.exe. just type

Adb devices

If your Android device is hooked into the USB it should be listed

Flyer

Klarkus

Dec 27, 2012
I am having major troubles trying to root my nabi 2 tablet. I tried replying on the actual thread but it wouldnt let me. If anyone can help me out please do. I've tried 2 ways which are pretty much the exact same.

1. download pdanet - install (whilst tablet is plugged in) and chose samsung and it shows up in devices as working fine
2. downloaded platform-tools and made SDK and platform-tools folder. I have the install files as well
3. Run cmd type cd C:\SDK\platform-tools. type adb.exe and it loads in.
4. Run install and chose option 1.

It goes to the option where I choose reboot kernal then it restarts and I get the green android icon with the red triangle with esclamation mark in it.

What am I doing wrong its been doing my head in for 3 days now if anyone can help it would be great. thanks

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol

In future, please don't quote the entire OP lie that when there is no need. It makes threads much more difficult to follow.

I am having major troubles trying to root my nabi 2 tablet. I tried replying on the actual thread but it wouldnt let me. If anyone can help me out please do. I've tried 2 ways which are pretty much the exact same.

1. download pdanet - install (whilst tablet is plugged in) and chose samsung and it shows up in devices as working fine
2. downloaded platform-tools and made SDK and platform-tools folder. I have the install files as well

It goes to the option where I choose reboot kernal then it restarts and I get the green android icon with the red triangle with esclamation mark in it.

What am I doing wrong its been doing my head in for 3 days now if anyone can help it would be great. thanks

This is the Desire S forum. You may have been directed here, but we don't use Nabi tablets I'm afraid.

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Nabi 2

Try this link

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1905674

mgsfoxhound

Oct 7, 2009
i need some help in cammand propt for adb devices please. my problem is when i push enter on putting in adb devices it says emulator-5554 device and then my device underneath, i need to some how turn off the emulator because it will only finish process with one adb device. has anyone asked you about this before? can you help me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Definition:

Setting up ADB:

3.Start writing
    Code:
    adb.exe
    You will see
    Code:

e
     present.
    unning.
    ith
    AL
                                     environment variable.

be an absolute path.
    is specified.
    is specified.

es.

device commands:
                                     (see 'adb help all')

nstall it
    )
    nal storage)
    )

stem] [<packages...>]
    itten
     themselves
     device's
    lt is noshared.)
    ns)
    ically includes
    de system apps)
    e backed up.  If
    he package
    iven on the
    tem would

archive

scripting:
    d device
    ad-write
    e specified port
    networking:

pdated.

is updated.

environmental variables:
     of the following values
    ity over this if given.
    bug tags are printed.

5.Write
    Code:
    adb devices
    List of devices attached
    Device name

Code:
    adb reboot 
    adb reboot recovery
    adb reboot bootloader
    adb remount

Code:
    adb shell
    #rm /sdcard/file 
    #ls /sdcard/<directory>

Code:

Commands List:
    Code:

write Ex:
    Code:
    you need to flash it when you are in bootloader using fastboot command:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Hello, i tried several ways found on internet....nothing worked for me on win 8.1 64 bit.... Any idea?
    If you follow the 3rd link on jmcclue's post, it might be work for you. My observation is the problem stem from fastboot itself because if it is the HTC drivers problem neither ADB nor Fastboot would be working. For Win 8.1 Pro x64 bit with the latest HTC driver installed, ADB commands work flawlessly, but fastboot wouldn't work even updated to Windows 2967917. So by changing to fastboot.reg according to the 3rd link on imcclue's post, fastboot commands are working on my PC (Win 8.1 Pro x64 bit) flawlessly. So far I have no problem on fastboot and adb. However, if your DS is equipped with 4ext recovery management, flashing either ROM or Hboot could be done by this app anyway.
    Link to that guide will be helpful