LG G2 micro USB connector

Search This thread

skay

Sep 30, 2004
Princeton. MA
I am interested if anyone knows the specifics of the micro usb connector used in the LG G2. I am only asking since I mixed up a Motorola Droid usb - micro usb cable last night with the OEM LG cable and thought my 24A update screwed the usb connectivity completely. It was just a cable mixup but it bugs me that the majority of my existing usb cables don't work with the G2. I would understand if the G2 had been shipped with usb 3.0 but it is a 2.0 spec but obviously a slightly different connector spec than older micro usb phones like my older Droids. I like the better connection - more tight and snug feeling with the G2 and OEM cable but I'm not sure what kind of cable to order if I was going to buy more for emergency or travel purposes. Is the new connector usb 3.0 compatible but simply not wired to usb 3.0 transceiever h/w ?

deathshead

Aug 8, 2010
I am interested if anyone knows the specifics of the micro usb connector used in the LG G2. I am only asking since I mixed up a Motorola Droid usb - micro usb cable last night with the OEM LG cable and thought my 24A update screwed the usb connectivity completely. It was just a cable mixup but it bugs me that the majority of my existing usb cables don't work with the G2. I would understand if the G2 had been shipped with usb 3.0 but it is a 2.0 spec but obviously a slightly different connector spec than older micro usb phones like my older Droids. I like the better connection - more tight and snug feeling with the G2 and OEM cable but I'm not sure what kind of cable to order if I was going to buy more for emergency or travel purposes. Is the new connector usb 3.0 compatible but simply not wired to usb 3.0 transceiever h/w ?

I just picked up a $3.00 USB OTG cable with a fullsized female usb to plug in USB sticks to transfer movies for the guys are work.

OTG is fully supported on the G2, (even shows the plug n pop Graphics of a usb stick inserting.)

Sometimes however it can get a lil finnicky in regards to format however.
I always format my usb sticks on the phone in settings then its good to go.

skay

Sep 30, 2004
Princeton. MA
OK, so the format of the cable is not usb 2.0 micro usb but actually OTG (on the go). I was not aware that OTG had a physical connector change in it's specification, I guess I thought it was simply an enhancement of capabilities of the current micro usb connection. It's wierd how some micro usb cables seem to interoperate OK with OTG and some other don't.

skay

Sep 30, 2004
Princeton. MA
Sorry for the misleading nature of this thread, I simply had a usb cable that went belly up and may have been working intermittently before. I just tested with a plain vanilla .99c usb-micro-usb cable and it work absolutely fine. I imagine the micro usb connectors on these cables can get hosed pretty easily and the G2's female connector seems to be pretty sensitive (some female connectors can be that way ;)

Reactions: Steamer86

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for the misleading nature of this thread, I simply had a usb cable that went belly up and may have been working intermittently before. I just tested with a plain vanilla .99c usb-micro-usb cable and it work absolutely fine. I imagine the micro usb connectors on these cables can get hosed pretty easily and the G2's female connector seems to be pretty sensitive (some female connectors can be that way ;)