How to begin to contribute as a developer

Search This thread

dimi5

May 12, 2014
Hello everybody,

I would like to contribute to the HDX community as a developer. Have a lot programming experience with Java (jee stack) and C/C++ in general , but little in android dev. However, since android platform seems to replace windows ;), would like to gain programming experience and to give something back to the friendly XDA Kindle Fire community. If some of the developer have interest to cooperate, then pm.

kr, dimi5

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Hello everybody,

I would like to contribute to the HDX community as a developer. Have a lot programming experience with Java (jee stack) and C/C++ in general , but little in android dev. However, since android platform seems to replace windows ;), would like to gain programming experience and to give something back to the friendly XDA Kindle Fire community. If some of the developer have interest to cooperate, then pm.

kr, dimi5
There isn't much anyone can do on the HDX without a bootloader unlock. I feel bad for you if you purchased this device as a development device. You might have wanted to go with something else. Unless you are talking about making android apps, which is easy to do on any device, but I can not help you with that.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

dimi5

May 12, 2014
There isn't much anyone can do on the HDX without a bootloader unlock. I feel bad for you if you purchased this device as a development device. You might have wanted to go with something else. Unless you are talking about making android apps, which is easy to do on any device, but I can not help you with that.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

No, just bought it as a media consumption device (I have also a nexus 4). I mean once I saw sources of xposed app and was curious whether there some feature request or whether there are similar dev projects for kindle.

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
No, just bought it as a media consumption device (I have also a nexus 4). I mean once I saw sources of xposed app and was curious whether there some feature request or whether there are similar dev projects for kindle.

I am not a developer by any means. I am a mechanical engineer, hence I hate not being able to fix or change anything MYSELF. I am 99% certain the bootloader can indeed be unlocked based on several vulnerabilities that I have confirmed are indeed presently exploitable. However, I lack the ability to easily take this info & compile an exploit for the device. Currently I am awaiting some feedback from a couple of the heavy hitters that are too busy to spend much time on the HDX, but have been pretty willing to help me limp along.

At any rate, since you have some C/++ experience alongside java, you should have a leg up. A lot of the kernel is in C & binary (modules, etc) code is C or C++ & there are some great tutorials on building apps based on some of Google's offerings. Start small, compile the Hello World app & then expand from there. Browse thru source code & try to compile a kernel. It won't do you any good on the HDX yet, but it will help to identify exploits, patches & functions & intents that you will find useful down the road.

Last edited: