Thinking of buying G Flex - Need some opinions

Search This thread

yasirrfc

Jan 1, 2012
Hi guys I'm thinking of buying LG G flex and looking for some opinions. Im an Xperia Z user and a very satisfied user. I didnt even think of changing my phone and its been with me for a year but the G flex caught my eyes and the main reason why i wanna buy it is because its different and curved. Here are some things that Im not so sure about so if you can help me with it using your experience then Id be grateful :)

1- Screen quality - now to be honest, im not a tech expert or someone that will look at the screen very closely to find pixels. Im a normal user, i like watching some videos and web browsing. the g flex has got a lot of criticism on the 720p display so what do you guys think in general? im coming from a 1080p display but i dont think ill have a lot of problems with the 720p display? some reviews i read were horendous that u cant even look at the screen its so bad. i know its not that bad. i just want to know if its a good screen that can show videos and pictures nicely. nothing extra extra sharp. also, im using hp envy x2 which is a tablet and laptop hybrid featuring a 720p display. i love it and dont have any problems against the screen. but i dont know whether 11 inch tablet screens are difff from phone screens and if tablet screens are even better at 720p?

2-screen ghosting. this is another thing ive heard a lot but havent heard anything about it from regular users. is screen ghosting a major issue and does it happen regularly? i plan on using it at 60% or + brightness because the battery is huge so will screen ghosting still be present? and is there a fix? is it a deal breaker?

3 Screen bumps- ive seen videos where users show bumps on their screens which lg admitted as well i think its because of flexing the screen. is bumps a regular issue for you guys? if i get a bump, it there a way to fix it or will it stay forever :( ?

4- Back- someone told me that the back of the device looks cheap and is uncomfortable?

5 Breaking - this might sound weird but did anyone break their device :p is the curved and flexible screen and design sensitive and will it break if it drops?

6 -Usable- i havent used a 6 inch phone before so this is a general question of whether the phone seems fine in usage? my xperia z is 5 inches but i dont consider it as big at all but do u guys feel that 6 inches is manageable? i had a blackberry playbook once and it was very big at 7 inches and NOT AT ALL something i couuld use as a phone. so how is the 6 inch phone? is it TOO big? or does it seem fine??

Thanks is advance :)

solidsnake

May 21, 2009
1. Screen is good but grainy, but for videos this is one of the best screens I have held, and the battery timings for watching videos is phenomenal. You can watch unto 20 hours of video on this phone not to mention overall battery timings as well.

2. Ghosting is definitely there and can be a problem at start but you get use to it slowly, I am use to it now though it was a bit annoying at start.

3. No bumps so far and I have flexed it quite often.

4. The back of this phone is the most premium thing about this phone, it's great to hold and though it looks slippery but it is quite wonderful to grip and doesn't slip.

5 No certain answer for breaking cus you can break anything you want but the construction of the phone is quite solid.

6. It's a big phone and can be a problem if you have small hands but as you have mentioned that 7 inches tablet is fine for you then this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Bottom line: the best phone if you are a phablet lover and you can't use anything else.

Reactions: yasirrfc

yasirrfc

Jan 1, 2012
1. Screen is good but grainy, but for videos this is one of the best screens I have held, and the battery timings for watching videos is phenomenal. You can watch unto 20 hours of video on this phone not to mention overall battery timings as well.

2. Ghosting is definitely there and can be a problem at start but you get use to it slowly, I am use to it now though it was a bit annoying at start.

3. No bumps so far and I have flexed it quite often.

4. The back of this phone is the most premium thing about this phone, it's great to hold and though it looks slippery but it is quite wonderful to grip and doesn't slip.

5 No certain answer for breaking cus you can break anything you want but the construction of the phone is quite solid.

6. It's a big phone and can be a problem if you have small hands but as you have mentioned that 7 inches tablet is fine for you then this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Bottom line: the best phone if you are a phablet lover and you can't use anything else.

is ghosting there even at high brightness? i think thats pretty bad if ghosting is always there :(

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
I've had my flex about a month and I haven't seen any burn in or ghosting. Which from my reading should only happen during the first few weeks of device use if at all. I came from a galaxy s4 and I'll tell ya the screen looks as good as the s4 99% of the time I have noticed the grainy look but only on a few pics. Doesn't always look grainy. I think its just certain colors and maybe pic quality that's my opinion.

As far as breaking. I've dropped mine a couple times and its fine. No cracks the back doesn't feel cheap at all. There's a video of a guy hyper extending the phone probably 15° and it didn't break the screen. The LCD I believe is flexible its the rest of the phone is not. And I think you will only see the bumps in the screen if you try flattening it out or hyper extending it like the guy in the video. Which the bumps appeared from internal parts poking the back of the LCD when bent.

Coming from a very speedy Galaxy S4 to this ....
I'm very pleased. Its faster smoother less lag screen just as good to me but bigger which is a good thing.
I love it. I would recommend and buy another.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Zackhery

Nov 25, 2011
Yes but I hardly even notice the ghosting anymore. I did at first. Really only noticeable for me when using stock sms with dark background in sms and going from white to dark when opening messages.

Sent from my LG-D950 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
is ghosting there even at high brightness? i think thats pretty bad if ghosting is always there :(

Just like so many others, I have not been bothered in any way with ghosting, graininess, or any of the other non sense you have been reading on the internet; all that crap comes from Samsung fan bois, so ignore it..

sounds like you are a lot like me; you don't micro stare at every little aspect of your cell phone, so you will absolutely LOVE this phone; there is a slight blue hue/graininess at times, but moving the brightness up a bit gets rid of it, if it bothers you; it doesn't bother me one bit!

bumps? never heard of it from ANY of the users here. Obviously some idiot abused his phone somehow, and caused something unusual to happen.

how the hell does the back of a device "look cheap"? sounds like more fanbois stupidity..

I've dropped it a couple of times, with no issues to it, so its not like a fragile china vase..

And, if you are ok with your xperia at 5 inches, you won't have any issues with this one...

brandonhatty

Dec 31, 2012
I'm happy with mine so far. I've always used high end Samsung service's. Best performance I've ever had on a phone. Imo there is only one phone in this category that is better and it's. The note 3. But I just wanted to give this a try cause... well I played with it in the store and I really liked it. If somebody talks badly about this they are just super particular.

Feb 14, 2012
Coming from a long line of Samsung devices that I've enjoyed very much I took a chance on the Flex about a month back because I like to watch a fair amount of video on my phone and thought it might prove superior for this purpose. A month on I'm not disappointed. I love the screen. I keep the brightness up and haven't been disappointed at all with the quality. I don't miss my Note 3's 1080P. I've had no issues with the phone from bending and such and enjoy the feel of the phone in the hand when texting and making calls. The Flex is very fast and the battery lasts forever. Honestly my only complaint and it is a minor one is that the rear of the phone picks up dust and lint easily, I assume due to the coating. This is not a big deal to me. Overall I would easily purchase this phone again.

yasirrfc

Jan 1, 2012
Coming from a long line of Samsung devices that I've enjoyed very much I took a chance on the Flex about a month back because I like to watch a fair amount of video on my phone and thought it might prove superior for this purpose. A month on I'm not disappointed. I love the screen. I keep the brightness up and haven't been disappointed at all with the quality. I don't miss my Note 3's 1080P. I've had no issues with the phone from bending and such and enjoy the feel of the phone in the hand when texting and making calls. The Flex is very fast and the battery lasts forever. Honestly my only complaint and it is a minor one is that the rear of the phone picks up dust and lint easily, I assume due to the coating. This is not a big deal to me. Overall I would easily purchase this phone again.
did u have ghosting problems?

juggamonkey

Jan 18, 2010
Someone has offered me 200 and a new galaxy mega 6.3 for my g flex what do you all think...should I make the switch ?

Sent from my LG-D959 using xda app-developers app

Vinsane

Jul 23, 2010
Dallas
Went from a Note 3 to the flex. Don't miss the Note at all. Really loving this phone, just wish development was more active, ..but after rooting and do a few things. I'm pretty happy with it as is. Great phone. Probably never go back to Samsung again. Their phones have gotten "common" and boring.

Sent from my LG-D959 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

yellowman82

Jun 12, 2011
Someone has offered me 200 and a new galaxy mega 6.3 for my g flex what do you all think...should I make the switch ?

Sent from my LG-D959 using xda app-developers app

Why are you asking us lol? If it was ne i would be asking myself why would i want a phone larger then a 6inch which is the biggest i go s for me heck no i wouldn't trade my flex for no mega, that phone is just over doing it i'm sorry but i don't understand the why over due it as a 6 inch is just the perfect size now you have to ask yourself why do you want the mega not ask us because majority might and will say they wouldn't do it but you have to understand that's us at the end if the day our opinion shouldn't matter if you are interested in the mega so there for if you played with one then you should know what you want to do.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

_-Jay-_

Feb 24, 2011
NJ
I owned the G Flex for a week before I traded it back in on a Note 3. There were just several things I didn't like about it (screen quality & ghosting issues being the driving factors) that caused me to return it. I do miss the Flex sometimes because I thought the curved screen was a great design, but I do not regret my decision to go with the Note 3 as it's easily the best device I've ever owned.

That said, if you can get past the graininess of the screen and the fact that it's not as sharp as the 1080p screens that are out now, it's a fantastic phone. The battery life is second to none (since the screen is only 720p, it drains the battery much slower than the higher res 1080p screen would), it's very smooth and the curved design fits well in your hand. It also has a huge 6" display. The hardware buttons on the back are also a nice touch. All in all, it was a great attempt by LG to try something a little different. Though I did come from a Note 2, I am by no means a Samsung fanboy. My favorite phone prior to this was my HTC Evo3D. I wanted really bad to love the Flex but in the end, I just didn't feel like the things I did like about it could make up for it's shortcomings and in such, I just couldn't commit to it as my daily driver for the next year.

sweets55

May 25, 2009
Hi guys I'm thinking of buying LG G flex and looking for some opinions. Im an Xperia Z user and a very satisfied user. I didnt even think of changing my phone and its been with me for a year but the G flex caught my eyes and the main reason why i wanna buy it is because its different and curved. Here are some things that Im not so sure about so if you can help me with it using your experience then Id be grateful :)

1- Screen quality - now to be honest, im not a tech expert or someone that will look at the screen very closely to find pixels. Im a normal user, i like watching some videos and web browsing. the g flex has got a lot of criticism on the 720p display so what do you guys think in general? im coming from a 1080p display but i dont think ill have a lot of problems with the 720p display? some reviews i read were horendous that u cant even look at the screen its so bad. i know its not that bad. i just want to know if its a good screen that can show videos and pictures nicely. nothing extra extra sharp. also, im using hp envy x2 which is a tablet and laptop hybrid featuring a 720p display. i love it and dont have any problems against the screen. but i dont know whether 11 inch tablet screens are difff from phone screens and if tablet screens are even better at 720p?

2-screen ghosting. this is another thing ive heard a lot but havent heard anything about it from regular users. is screen ghosting a major issue and does it happen regularly? i plan on using it at 60% or + brightness because the battery is huge so will screen ghosting still be present? and is there a fix? is it a deal breaker?

3 Screen bumps- ive seen videos where users show bumps on their screens which lg admitted as well i think its because of flexing the screen. is bumps a regular issue for you guys? if i get a bump, it there a way to fix it or will it stay forever :( ?

4- Back- someone told me that the back of the device looks cheap and is uncomfortable?

5 Breaking - this might sound weird but did anyone break their device :p is the curved and flexible screen and design sensitive and will it break if it drops?

6 -Usable- i havent used a 6 inch phone before so this is a general question of whether the phone seems fine in usage? my xperia z is 5 inches but i dont consider it as big at all but do u guys feel that 6 inches is manageable? i had a blackberry playbook once and it was very big at 7 inches and NOT AT ALL something i couuld use as a phone. so how is the 6 inch phone? is it TOO big? or does it seem fine??

Thanks is advance :)
Being the phone junkie I am one of the things I like most about buying new phones is something different and that's why I got the Flex.

Screen - I look at the 720p Flex screen as a pro because that's why the battery life is so great. It's really nice not having to worry about charging your phone for 24 hrs even with heavy use. I had a G2 before my Flex and I don't miss the 1080 screen. I never watch reviews because most of them the people don't even use the phone for that long plus I like to see for myself. The good thing is you get 14 days.

Screen ghosting - I'm not sure if this is that but when I play QuizUp I see the image for a second or two after it goes away sometimes. It doesn't bother me. That's even when the brightness is maxed. I only turn down the brightness when in bed and the Flex battery makes it around 24 hrs on one charge with heavy use.

Screen Bumps - I'm pretty sure this only happens when you Flex the Flex. Just don't do that any you should be fine. I think it's another thing the LG haters like to talk about.

Back of the phone looks cheap - Ummm nothing looks cheap with the Flex. It's a solid phone. The phone is thin and the back is slippery plus the phone tends to pick up lint more then others. I put on a Otter Box 360 skin to keep the phone thin. Phone isn't slippery and less lint/ fingerprints.

Breaking - Ummm just take care of the phone and you'll be fine.

Size - The Flex is so thin it fits fine in my front jeans pocket but I don't wear skinny jeans. lol The phone doesn't feel big. IMO That's another thing that is subjective.

Last edited:

hanfordrob

May 26, 2011
Here's my 2 cents, this phone is great the screen is a bit grainy, but with brightness turned up you won't notice it. Ghosting does happen but only when switching between apps and only for like 2 seconds then it's fine. My only complaint about this phone is the camera, it takes amazing pictures when out in the sun or in a room with ample lighting, but I went to a concert the other night and took pictures and I had to really play with the settings to get the pictures to be decent. For me I'm disappointed at that and hope that this issue will be addressed with kit Kat update, but seeing as I go to only a few concerts a year it's by no means a deal breaker. Like someone said earlier, you have 14 days to play with it. If it doesn't fit with what you want in a phone then just take it back, but I have a feeling that you won't because this phone is a beast!

yasirrfc

Jan 1, 2012
hmm i think i really like the g flex now. considering im not someone who will try to compare the phone with 1080p displays, i think it should be a good fit. I use my hp envy x2 tablet/laptop all the time and its also 720p so the sharpness doesn't bother me. For the grainy party, i think i can turn the brightness way up coz of the long battery life :D someone i know has Note 2 and ive had it in my hands a couple of times and i dont find it bulky or uncomfortable but the g flex is still at 6 inches. do u think if im comfortable with note 2, then g flex shouldn't also be a problem, in terms of handling it etc? as u guys mentioned, ghosting isnt a deal breaker for any of you and it happpens for 1 seconds only so i think i can live with it?

Brutal-Force

Jan 2, 2009
I have had mine for two weeks now.

1. Screen Quality - Its 720 display, if you are coming from an older phone, you won't notice a "lack" of 1080p. Further, the curved screen does work out better for viewing angles. The "grainyness" is not a problem. As noted in many reviews, if you hold the Note 3 and the Flex side by side, you will see a difference, but the quality is not necessarily better.

2. Ghosting not an issue for me. Is it there? Sometimes, is it a problem... no.

3. Screen bumps - As another poster stated, don't do bending tricks with your phone and you won't see these bumps. I haven't seen any yet.

4. Back - Really? Who with a 600 dollar phone doesn't put it immediately in a $50 dollar case? You can't even see the back. That being said, if you carry it bare, it really is very thin with a very well designed back material. It fits very well in your front pocket.

5. Breaking is only an issue if you have an issue breaking phones.

6. Usability is really dependent on the size of your hand. I have smaller hands, so I find myself using it two handed (I bought it for data rather than phone calls), and for phone calls I use bluetooth. The one time I held it to my head, it did feel odd, but not any more odd then a 4.7" phone. I really hate hot glass on my face. You really have to just try it out, I think people can get used to anything if they want to.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    any more opinions? or experiences?

No disrespect intended, but seriously if you still need more feedback then this and the web searching I know you been doing then this isn't the one for you. Wait until a phone comes along you know you want. Also, while you're waiting read up on how to develop decisiveness.

A quick life lesson, people (and also women) like decisive people meaning you know what you want (or don't) and you get it (or don't). You don't need countless other people telling you what to do. So in this case research what you're getting into and decide if you're okay with that. This same theory applies to what ROM threads when we start seeing custom ROMs.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk
    Went from a Note 3 to the flex. Don't miss the Note at all. Really loving this phone, just wish development was more active, ..but after rooting and do a few things. I'm pretty happy with it as is. Great phone. Probably never go back to Samsung again. Their phones have gotten "common" and boring.

Sent from my LG-D959 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    This phone has a "cool factor" that no other phone out now can match....
    I've had my flex about a month and I haven't seen any burn in or ghosting. Which from my reading should only happen during the first few weeks of device use if at all. I came from a galaxy s4 and I'll tell ya the screen looks as good as the s4 99% of the time I have noticed the grainy look but only on a few pics. Doesn't always look grainy. I think its just certain colors and maybe pic quality that's my opinion.

As far as breaking. I've dropped mine a couple times and its fine. No cracks the back doesn't feel cheap at all. There's a video of a guy hyper extending the phone probably 15° and it didn't break the screen. The LCD I believe is flexible its the rest of the phone is not. And I think you will only see the bumps in the screen if you try flattening it out or hyper extending it like the guy in the video. Which the bumps appeared from internal parts poking the back of the LCD when bent.

Coming from a very speedy Galaxy S4 to this ....
    I'm very pleased. Its faster smoother less lag screen just as good to me but bigger which is a good thing.
    I love it. I would recommend and buy another.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    I'm happy with mine so far. I've always used high end Samsung service's. Best performance I've ever had on a phone. Imo there is only one phone in this category that is better and it's. The note 3. But I just wanted to give this a try cause... well I played with it in the store and I really liked it. If somebody talks badly about this they are just super particular.