Looking into a Windows RT Tablet perhaps....

Search This thread

bucket81

Jan 1, 2011
So I want to get a Windows 8 tablet. I currently have a Asus TF300T (android) and I'm not quite happy with it. I want something that's actually productive. I do a bit of photography and saw that you can connect to a desktop with your tablet and work remotely (I need to look more into this) I figure I could use this and not actually put the images on the tablet or Lightroom. The only thing I see a draw back with the Surface RT is no pen support this is something I would really like. Does anybody have any suggestions on an RT or full windows tablet that has pen support. I'm looking at used Surface RT tablets for around $300 and would like to keep it around there. I have also seen the original Surface Pro for around $500 ( at that price I'm going to have to convince the wife :eek: )

kitor

Apr 11, 2007
kitor.pl
You can connect to desktop the same way both from Android and Windows RT. There's official Remote Desktop app from Microsoft in Play store. And I don't think that it will be fast enough to work with Lightroom without any lags and other problems.

Windows RT is locked platform, without jailbreak you can use only ModernUI apps (+these few desktop ones that are included in OS), after jailbreaking a couple more that were recompiled to ARM archtecture.
If you like hacking your device, like in Windows Mobile times, it may be good for you. But if it's all about working through remote desktop - first try to use this on your Transformer.

There's no WinRT tablet with pen support, sorry. Also, if you're thinking about working remotely with magnetic pen - this will just not work. You need to buy something with x86, like Surface Pro and use your software directly on it.

G

GuestD0956

I wouldn't recommend the Surface

So I want to get a Windows 8 tablet. I currently have a Asus TF300T (android) and I'm not quite happy with it. I want something that's actually productive. I do a bit of photography and saw that you can connect to a desktop with your tablet and work remotely (I need to look more into this) I figure I could use this and not actually put the images on the tablet or Lightroom. The only thing I see a draw back with the Surface RT is no pen support this is something I would really like. Does anybody have any suggestions on an RT or full windows tablet that has pen support. I'm looking at used Surface RT tablets for around $300 and would like to keep it around there. I have also seen the original Surface Pro for around $500 ( at that price I'm going to have to convince the wife :eek: )

Unless you really need Microsoft Word 2013, the Surface has nothing on Android. If I had known, I would have gotten the $500 Pro before the $200 RT. The Pro allows you to run non-Windows-Store apps so this means you could, in essence, install, say, a device that Microsoft doesn't include drivers for.

waraukaeru

Mar 22, 2012
You can connect to desktop the same way both from Android and Windows RT. There's official Remote Desktop app from Microsoft in Play store. And I don't think that it will be fast enough to work with Lightroom without any lags and other problems.

Also check out Splashtop, which works on Windows 8/RT, Windows Phone, Android, and iOS and actually streams from your desktop computer at low latency. It has a mode for quality and a mode for speed, so you can select the one the suits your task. It is fast enough to play games with, though you usually have to run them in windowed mode since it can only capture full-screen video content from certain Nvidia graphics cards.

Unless you really need Microsoft Word 2013, the Surface has nothing on Android. If I had known, I would have gotten the $500 Pro before the $200 RT. The Pro allows you to run non-Windows-Store apps so this means you could, in essence, install, say, a device that Microsoft doesn't include drivers for.

I'd argue they have pretty close feature parity. Most apps for Android have an equivalent on the Windows Store, or a web-based equivalent. Windows 8 RT has much much better file browsing capabilities since you can use the full windows file browser in desktop mode. I don't know of any Android tablets that have a full usb port, and Windows RT supports many more devices. A Windows RT device operates as a standalone computer, one which you could connect your cell phone to transfer files, back-up, or otherwise administer it (or your Android tablet for that matter). Especially for a photographer, being able to connect an external media card reader or directly to the camera is a huge plus. Personally, I think the Windows 8/Metro interface is much cleaner and more fluid than Android's (I hate icon-grid layouts). So, I'm not sure where you are coming from saying Surface has "nothing on Android". It's quite competitive.

G

GuestD0956

I just meant in the sense that RT is still fairly new and Android is already matured, with loads more apps. You are right about the USB port, though.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
RT also has much better multitasking, especially if jailbroken and using desktop apps. Browser + text editor + IM client + calculator all on the screen at once, with a Skype call in the background? No problem.

Sent from my Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Reactions: bucket81

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Windows RT is locked platform, without jailbreak you can use only ModernUI apps (+these few desktop ones that are included in OS), after jailbreaking a couple more that were recompiled to ARM archtecture.
    If you like hacking your device, like in Windows Mobile times, it may be good for you. But if it's all about working through remote desktop - first try to use this on your Transformer.

There's no WinRT tablet with pen support, sorry. Also, if you're thinking about working remotely with magnetic pen - this will just not work. You need to buy something with x86, like Surface Pro and use your software directly on it.
    RT also has much better multitasking, especially if jailbroken and using desktop apps. Browser + text editor + IM client + calculator all on the screen at once, with a Skype call in the background? No problem.

Sent from my Samsung ATIV S SGH-T899M using XDA Windows Phone 7 App