Warmer Than Usual

Search This thread

Crazysah

Jul 12, 2012
Hello,

I just bought the SGT Pro 8.4 on Tuesday and today morning I turned it on and it was at 30% and let charging from 10 AM to 3:30 PM. When I started using it just now, 4 PM, I found that the bottom s side where the power button is, had been a littoral host then usual. Even the left side of the tablet and a part of the back. Is this normal?

PS - it was on the entire time.

Edit: After unplugging and keeping it idle for fifteen minutes, the temperature read 36*C./38*C Should I be worried?

Thanks,
Crazysah

Last edited:

jusmax

Oct 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 - Warm

Good Day,

I was wondering about the average heat expected on the 10.1 as well. I notice that it gets warm just to the the right of the Samsung Logo, in a 2x4 inch area close to the bezel. I assume this is where the Exynos 5 Octa processor resides, correct me if I am wrong. You can feel the warmth on the screen and through the back, even in a case under normal/idle conditions.

I hope this is normal, possibly due to the TouchWiz UI, the CPU clock and/or high resolution of the screen. Can anyone else comment on this? It does seem to go away when the screen is off but stays warm even on the lowest brightness and using Kindle or reading PDFs. Thanks for any information you can provide.

jusmax

Oct 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 - Warm

I have reset the tablet to default and installed only a few select apps, disabled the GPS and Bluetooth, etc. The temperature is just under body temperature.

However, when I place the SD card in it's slot and power on the tablet it seem that the tablet gets noticeably warmer. The card is a 32GB Sandisk UHS 1. It was used in an Asus MemoPad FHD before this. I then reformatted the card and placed back in the tablet, but the tablet still gets significantly warmer than if there were no card at all. The tablet does not overheat by the way, at least not yet, but it does seem to be doing more work while the SD card is installed.

jusmax

Oct 5, 2013
Alright, it seems that the reason for the difference in temperature with and without the SD card might be due to the content on the card. I have a lot of PDFs, some very large and some with poor names. Android's indexing service is seen to be using 35% of the battery which would translate to the CPU being utilized heavily by this app. The CPU was between 50-60%. It even uses up more power than the screen.

I removed the large files and then cleaned up all the file names. I moved the files to the onboard storage and formatted the SD card. The indexing service is still running, but I believe this would take some time until it finishes. I will try to move the files, one at a time, back to the external SD card once this gets under control. The CPU is now around 42-45% and the temperature at 38C. Hopefully this should sort itself out soon.

Last edited: