Need help rooting/recovering

Search This thread

dross50

Apr 5, 2011
I tried rooting the phone by flashing an insecure kernel. Now I can't get the phone into download mode. Odin/Kies recognizes the phone in MTP, and windows recognized the phone under debugging/file transfer mode... but Odin won't see the phone under debug. Also, my home key now operates as the back key with no key working as home. I flashed the XWKDD insecure kernel as directed by one of the walk throughs.

Before I flashed anything I couldn't get the phone into download mode using the three button combo, but I was able to do it simply by having the phone in download mode and plugging in the USB cable.

How should I proceed? I assume I need to flash to stock and try again with another kernel, but I can't find that as an option. Is there another way to go into download mode? Please help. I still have the same captivate that I bought on release date and I would love to have a fully functional phone for the first time in over a year!

Thanks in advance!

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I tried rooting the phone by flashing an insecure kernel. Now I can't get the phone into download mode. Odin/Kies recognizes the phone in MTP, and windows recognized the phone under debugging/file transfer mode... but Odin won't see the phone under debug. Also, my home key now operates as the back key with no key working as home. I flashed the XWKDD insecure kernel as directed by one of the walk throughs.

Before I flashed anything I couldn't get the phone into download mode using the three button combo, but I was able to do it simply by having the phone in download mode and plugging in the USB cable.

How should I proceed? I assume I need to flash to stock and try again with another kernel, but I can't find that as an option. Is there another way to go into download mode? Please help. I still have the same captivate that I bought on release date and I would love to have a fully functional phone for the first time in over a year!

Thanks in advance!

Download mode, this has ALWAYS worked for me:
Pull battery
Reinsert battery
DO NOT HIT POWER
Hold VolUp + VolDn
Insert USB cable into phone

Phone should power up right into download mode.

Edit: Stock kernel was posted 5-10 minutes ago in dev section BTW.

dross50

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks! Now I'm able to get into download mode consistently... but I'm getting an error in Odin... "Can't open the serial(COM) port.". Going to try resetting the computer and phone. Unfortunately I'm just enough of a noob at this to know how to get myself into interesting predicaments haha. I had all kinds of fun playing with issues with Cognition before I finally switched over to cm7.

*edit*

I'm back to stock now, thanks again! I don't know why I didn't think to do that, that's how I used to get into download mode on my cappy. Now if only I could get the drivers to work with my phone in debugging mode...

Last edited: