[KERNEL][INFO][2012-10-18] _thalamus Nexus S kernels - Stable & Test releases

Search This thread

Randomwalker

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, KSM increases power usage reasonably significantly. And no, there isn't anything else, but hey, performance over powersaving anyday, if the tradeoff is worthwhile.

Good news is I managed to hack bigmem so it works on any ROM and doesn't break the camcorder. It gives an additional ~53MB so KSM can be disabled and the power drain will drop to normal levels.

Could this be made cumulative, as in bigmem+ksm=even more free memory? (taking performance over battery)

Sorry, if it's an overly stupid question.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

Reactions: fear_factory84

Randomwalker

Dec 5, 2011
It could. But what is the point? How much free memory do you want lol?

Well, seeing that with a number of push services running I currently am running at around 20MB free RAM, I guess that 53MB would help but more even better :).

But I am also one of those who is pretty OK with battery life, as long as I get 18h.

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
It could. But what is the point? How much free memory do you want lol?

MOAR. Always. :)

I'm more pissed at the apps being poorly developped than the kernels to be frank. It seems like it's always on the kernel devs to implement new ways of using the hardware rather than app devs to make stuff that doesn't stink. Too much services running in the background for nothing, too much ram being consumed for simple tasks.
My Nokia 3210 could send SMS right away. I find it sad when I see MMS.apk peaking at 80mb when it sends a SMS...

Ron Overdrive

Feb 2, 2009
Well, seeing that with a number of push services running I currently am running at around 20MB free RAM, I guess that 53MB would help but more even better :).

But I am also one of those who is pretty OK with battery life, as long as I get 18h.

Damn what are you running? I always have 100 - 120 MB of free ram. Also a fully charged battery for me usually lasts 12 hours. I wish I could get 18 hours out of my batteries, but to do that I would have to avoid using the phone. :p

Reactions: yxcv99
T

_thalamus

So, I finished the rewrite of IDLE2 off today.

So far it seems ok, well, it's still the same code which takes the system into idle, it's just a different way of implementing it, which hopefully will be better.

I will be doing a release with it included tomorrow assuming no issues.

From the git commit:

Code:
v0.200 is a complete rewrite of the
majority of the idle2 codebase. 2 idle states have now been
fully implemented and are available at all times. The
states are IDLE and IDLE2, which is DEEP-IDLE TOP OFF.
DEEP-IDLE TOP ON is not implemented, as it has no benefit.

The hot code paths are now more optimised and faster.
Workqueues are used to inform idle2 of events from other subsystems,
such as audio, usb connected and bluetooth.
PM notifiers are used to notify idle2 of a suspend, although it should
never get into a situation where it is working at the same time as the
system is suspending.

The IDLE2 mode will only be activated when audio has been playing back
for more than 30 seconds, the device is not connected to USB, bluetooth is
not active (it can be enabled, but not be actively working) various clocks
are gated (in practice, this means that the screen has to be off), certain
subsystems are not active and there are no interrupts pending.

The early suspend and late resume hooks have been removed as they are not
required, as have the suspend and resume hooks.

Many of the idle2 specific functions have been split into idle2.h to keep
them separate from the stock code.

IDLE2 can be disabled with the following command:
echo 1 > /sys/module/cpuidle/parameters/idle2_disabled

Stats can be obtained from the standard cpuidle interface, which, for
IDLE2 is located at:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state1

towelboy

Jun 17, 2012
Sorry for asking such a noob question but what is IDLE2 and how does it affect the kernel?

T

_thalamus

New version released with IDLE2 enabled again, v0.201. Blog post here.
Details about the new IDLE2 implementation here.

gotjazz

Apr 10, 2011
awesome - flashing right now :)

Can't wait for my way to work tomorrow (lots of screen-off music time :))

T

_thalamus

So does this break panorama?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda app-developers app

Not for ICS, because I didn't implement bigmem for that.

For JB, I'm not entirely sure. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But that might depend on ROM etc. Try it and see and let me know.

I do like having the extra RAM, but I don't like breaking things to obtain it.

rasengan82

Nov 19, 2011
Not for ICS, because I didn't implement bigmem for that.

For JB, I'm not entirely sure. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But that might depend on ROM etc. Try it and see and let me know.

I do like having the extra RAM, but I don't like breaking things to obtain it.

Oh man I wished I could try it on JB. No OTA or binaries for NS4G yet... :(

I assume for the ICS the changes are:

- Adjusted ondemand tunables to make ramping up occur faster for better responsiveness
- New implementation of IDLE2, enabled by default. Please see my previous post on IDLE2 for details.

T

_thalamus

Oh man I wished I could try it on JB. No OTA or binaries for NS4G yet... :(

I assume for the ICS the changes are:

- Adjusted ondemand tunables to make ramping up occur faster for better responsiveness
- New implementation of IDLE2, enabled by default. Please see my previous post on IDLE2 for details.

Code:
f1c45ce crespo: 3.0.38-22ICS_test release
347d4f2 cpuidle: idle2: v0.201
da02b78 cpuidle: idle2: v0.200
3077747 crespo: enable IDLE2 by default
0d65112e cpufreq: ondemand: Remove io_is_busy tunable

I forgot to put the io_is_busy change in the post. I did that with Desire and Sensation kernels and it seemed to improve responsiveness when there was high I/O waits.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

this kernel have the crt fix ?

No. I haven't seen a nice fix for it yet. I've seen a hacky one, but that's all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone! :D

I just got permission from _thalamus to host a separate thread here for his Nexus S kernel developments. This is purely an informational thread and all credit goes to the man himself, _thalamus, for his great work on crespo kernels. Consequently, any bugs you wish to report or any feature request you'd like to make, it might be better to just leave a comment on the corresponding blog posts for that release. However, whenever necessary, I will report any major issues directly to him, but I for one cannot promise resolution as I'm no developer. My role in this thread is simply as moderator of sorts, as _thalamus wants that I keep the thread clean and on-topic.

In this thread, I will include links to his blog posts where you can download his most recent releases as well as some snippets and changelogs when appropriate. Let's make this into a fun and friendly medium of discussion where we can help each other out for the benefit of the community. Links below:

Get the latest Jelly Bean kernel release in this post.

Thanks to:
    * _thalamus
    * Google
    * xda-developers forum community
    * my wife and little baby girl
    Thread has been cleaned of most recent OT discussion.

Unless it's related to THIS KERNEL, then it doesn't belong here, that means no chit chat about roms, they all have their own thread for that.

That means let's keep the "I LUFF U HAV MAI BABIS" posts out of here as well, that's what the thanks buttons for.

In general, if it's not constructive and related to this kernel, just don't post it, if in doubt don't post, its simple.

Lets not waste the developers time, the time of people who bother reading and not posting, OUR (the moderators) time in cleaning up the nonsense, and finally, your time, in typing something that's pointless.

XDA is about development, first and foremost, we just happen to allow end users to access the forum, don't abuse this, it's a privilege not a right.

Now, lets get back to business and happy hacking :good:
    It's alive!
    Screenshot_2012-08-13-22-42-06.png

[edit2] Updated url, it's compatible with JellyBelly ROM now, users on other ROM's don't need to re-apply it. Big thanks to _thalamus!

[edit3 - 26.8.2012] Removed IDLE2, which isn't yet stable, please reflash .zip below to avoid possible issues.

Here's the flashable .zip : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12542/kernel-S5PC110-3.0.31-28JB_BLN_CRT_20120826.zip

Stuff added :

- i9023 CRT hack (I don't mind it doesn't work, but will keep perfectionists happy)
    - modified liblights.so for BLN from JellyBelly ROM, props to AdamG
    - BLN (enabled by default, tested working, BUT if you want missed call LED, you need the BLN Control Pro app)

I added the blinking part at the end, since patch 4 was a fix for it and wasn't sure if it's anything else changed. So I commited the #2 for blinking and #4 also. I only left out #3 as this disables BLN by default.

All props to _thalamus for the guide and providing this great kernel. Anyone with questions/issues regarding this build, PM me, since _thalamus won't offer support for it (obviously). I'll try and keep it up as he posts new builds, but that won't happen a lot I guess, since .31 is better.

Have fun!
    P.S. I also would like to see the CRT fix and BLN but since _thalamus said many times NO

That's why I use his kernel, he knows what's bull**** and what is not and he's able to back up his opinion coherently. I'm speaking on general terms and not regarding BLN (which I find useful despite how hackish the code is). It just irks me how people around XDA are so volatile to flashy words and placebo effect so I had to get this out. And also this:

D3KGU.jpg
    I wasn't going to say anything but now I'm pissed this has been moved to general. Just because some moron had to voice his "I'm so important this needs to be said" opinion we have lost an amazing developer for our phone. I know I am also voicing my opinion but this is after the fact...after the huge loss your post caused. This is XDA Developers, not a popularity contest. I could care less if they like me or not, I am just glad they develop and release and let me use it. I am no developer, so I use, trouble shoot and do what the developer asks me to read and do. Yeah Thalamus is a rude and brass guy...WHO CARES. He is one of the FEW developers left in the Nexus S forum and a well knowable one at that. This site is for developers, NOT guys like you or me. We are just privileged enough to be able to join and use. Be thankful and humble.
    So thanks for sticking up for your “friend” and complaining but never contributing. Thanks for pushing away a very knowledgeable and skilled kernel developer. Post your last_kmsg on your kernel thread and see what great in-site they spit at you...it's hard to solve and understand cherry-pick after cherry-pick and never creating anything yourself. Good luck with that.

Thank you Thalamus and I apologies for all the inconsiderate, illiterate, entitled “kids” on this site now. I thank you for all you have done for the Nexus S and please continue to make this and other Android based phones better.

Cheers

Edit: Thanks @apatal for bringing this thread to life, I/We appreciate it.