Hardware button boot into Recovery with TWRP

• Thread starter Deleted member 5103593
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 5103593

Sorry if this post is redundant, but the methods I've seen haven't worked, so I can't be alone. Here is how to boot into TWRP if your phone is boot looping/soft bricked. (info pulled from here, of all places.)

1. Make sure phone is completely powered down.
2. Press and hold the Volume down button and the Power button.
3. When the LG logo is displayed release the Power button only then immediately press and hold the Power button again.
4. Release both buttons when the Factory Hard Reset screen displays.
5. Press the power button three times, like it says. Even though it says it will delete everything, it won't (I can confirm that if you are at least on v2.6.3.2).
6. After a "factory reset processing" appears, you should get the TWRP flash screen, and you are good to go.

Hope this helps someone besides currently frustrated me.

Last edited by a moderator:

steveo17

Sep 30, 2010
South Amboy
thanks for this. for me the phone didnt even have to be completely powered off.

i wa sin a sleep of death so i held down power and vol down until lg logo appeared let go and then pressed power again. pressed power 3 more times and it booted into recovery

Reactions: haleybob1228

commissionerg

Aug 8, 2007
Texas
Sorry if this post is redundant, but the methods I've seen haven't worked, so I can't be alone. Here is how to boot into TWRP if your phone is boot looping/soft bricked. (info pulled from here, of all places.)

3. When the LG logo is displayed release the Power button only then immediately press and hold the Power button again.
5. Press the power button three times, like it says. Even though it says it will delete everything, it won't (I can confirm that if you are at least on v2.6.3.2).
6. After a "factory reset processing" appears, you should get the TWRP flash screen, and you are good to go.

You're a lifesaver.

sjpn

Sep 2, 2010
Also, if you're too scared to try that, I've had success using rom toolbox to reboot into recovery. Of course this is assuming you have a working system.

Enigmafied

May 18, 2010
Thanks very much, but...

Hello,

I unfortunately dropped my VS980, cracked the screen, and the digitizer only works on the bottom portion of the screen. I have a new screen coming, which should fix this issue, however I would like to get my data off my phone (pics), but I can't as I have a password (draw a line/shape kind) and without being able to enter this in, it will not connect to my PC as mass storage.

I was hoping to be able to boot into recovery with hardware buttons and get my data that way, not sure if that is possible either, but at least try it. This I found to work to get me to the factory hard reset screen, but I am skeptical to push the power button and have it wipe my data!

I am open to other options to get to my data if anyone has any, including android device manager which is something I have thought of, but not sure if I can reset the security to nothing, or maybe as the bottom portion of my digitizer seems to work, I can enter in a space or a period for a password and enter that in.

Looking for any guidance!

Thanks!

Enigmafied

May 18, 2010
Got it!

Redid the password with android device manager, which got me in, but I didn't even need to do that as I had the brainwave to plug a mouse in with a usb adapter. Works flawlessly, got my data, now just waiting for replacement screen!

RevoDSG

Jul 28, 2014
Strange Problem

I am using F-320K[G2], Cloudy G3 Rom, when I hit boot into recovery it does bring me to TWRP but hardware buttons doesn't work. It just restarts the phone.
Vol down+Power till LG logo up, release and press and hold again and after few secs it restartsand came back to LG screen. If I continue to held it it just repeat restating.

krezee

Jan 15, 2011
hardware keys to enter recovery. voldown+power then volup+power

I am using F-320K[G2], Cloudy G3 Rom, when I hit boot into recovery it does bring me to TWRP but hardware buttons doesn't work. It just restarts the phone.
Vol down+Power till LG logo up, release and press and hold again and after few secs it restartsand came back to LG screen. If I continue to held it it just repeat restating.

steps to enter recovery that worked for my Sprint LG G2 on ZVC firmware.
1) hold power and volume down button till you see LG logo -- quickly release these buttons and
2) immediately hold power and volume up buttons to enter into factory reset menu.
Then 3 presses of power key to confirm wipe and enter TWRP recovery. :good:

I was going mad trying to enter recovery for an hour. It appears like different models/software versions have different key combinations for entering recovery mode.

My phone was stuck at lg logo screen and i didnt have nandroid backup of the phone. so couldn't try the TOT restore method too as i waned my phone data.

Reactions: uzb777

RevoDSG

Jul 28, 2014
Another way to get to Custom Recovery

1) hold power and volume down button till you see LG logo -- quickly release these buttons and
2) immediately hold power and volume up buttons to enter into factory reset menu.

I was going mad trying to enter recovery for an hour. It appears like different models/software versions have different key combinations for entering recovery mode.

My phone was stuck at lg logo screen and i didnt have nandroid backup of the phone. so couldn't try the TOT restore method too as i waned my phone data.

The way that let me get into custom recovery is different.
I hold 'vol up+power+vol down' to start from turned off state and keep holding it[Don't leave just keep holding the 3 buttons]. It doesn't show factory reset screen, it get me into TWRP[Custom Rom] directly. I heard 3 buttons gets u in safe mode IDK but I got into proper working TWRP.

Reactions: atlib and krezee

letschky

I have a F320S.
Hold Volume up and press the Power Button,when comes Lg Logo release the Power Button and start the TWRP

Rimmir

Jan 22, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
if anybody's looking for the information in this thread like i was, and the posted method doesn't work (it did not for me):

1. Power off
2. Hold volume down and power
3a. release both at logo AND press BOTH at logo right after releasing
4a. Enter recovery

You should enter recovery, but if not...

3b. Keep the buttons pressed (your phone might continue into the start animation, but if you keep the buttons press it will return)
4b. The first logo will appear. Release both and press BOTH
5. Enter recovery

hope this helps someone

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45901939&postcount=3

Last edited:

picaso86

Jan 3, 2010

this worked omg...thanks a million...

DJMaj07

Dec 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Just wanted to contribute here in case anyone else had tried everything listed in this thread and still was unable to boot into TWRP.
I'm on Sprint, stock, rooted ZVE, and I have TWRP 2.7.

1. Power off phone, wait a few seconds to make sure phone is completely off.
2. Hold power and volume down.
3. As soon as LG logo appears, KEEP holding down power... BUT release volume down and SWITCH to holding volume up.
4. After a few seconds, screen appears saying "Recovery mode" and TWRP opens up after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: spocko

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 5103593

This one worked for me... Rooted 20h with TWRP on D805.

press and hold
    PWR

till device shuts down

wait 10 seconds to make sure its powered off

press and hold
    VOL- & PWR

when LG logo shows up release the buttons and imediatly

press and hold
    VOL- & VOL+

This combination took me to factory reset, accepting it took me to TWRP

=D
    If you are on 20H bootloader
    Since the phone turned off, press power + vol down, release as soon as the logo appears and then hold vol down + vol up
    Hardware Button Combo to reboot into Recovery on LG G2 F320L

Power off the Phone. Press and hold Vol UP + Power button till some Korean Text appears then release the buttons. You will be directly taken into Recovery. :)
    Another way to get to Custom Recovery

The way that let me get into custom recovery is different.
    I hold 'vol up+power+vol down' to start from turned off state and keep holding it[Don't leave just keep holding the 3 buttons]. It doesn't show factory reset screen, it get me into TWRP[Custom Rom] directly. I heard 3 buttons gets u in safe mode IDK but I got into proper working TWRP.