Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Set to Receive an Update

Search This thread

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
Just to let everyone know. I was on Mj7 running beans on slot 1 , scott's rom in stock slot. update kept failing even after unrooting so I odin'd back to stock mj7 then update was successful. I then used the latest version of Kingo app and rerooted successfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: christianpeso
But after removing everything and having Kingo remove the root, the system status is shown as "Official" not "Custom".
Unless there is another file that is missing or modified, and is preventing the update from installing.

The only way to get custom gone is to odin to stock. You can unroot but your device will still show that it was rooted. I believe your true status is shown in the stock recovery.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
The only way to get custom gone is to odin to stock. You can unroot but your device will still show that it was rooted. I believe your true status is shown in the stock recovery.

Well, in download mode it showed my status as official with Knox 0x0 so not sure what the difference is in stock recovery. Either way I couldn't get update to take until I odin'd to stock. Keeping root in survival mode didn't bother me since I had used kingo before. Regardless , I now have the update with root so it's all good :)

G8orDroid

Mar 19, 2008
Just to make sure, as before with SuperSU Pro it was [disable Superuser] & [enable Survival mode] with nothing different, right...

Waiting to see if this works with this update myself :)
If I remember I had to unfreeze & reinstall all the stock stuff too before the last one would take

YMMV, but all I did was rename the default clock app and odex back to their original names (I had renamed them so I didn't have multiple clocks), disabled SuperSU and set it to Survival mode and launched the update. It was successful. I then re-enabled SuperSu and all is well. I was pretty much bone stock except for Wanam, which I did not uninstall or even change anything. I did not have SafeStrap installed.

Screenshot_2013-12-10-15-21-51.png

Reactions: tlgem

mchlwvr614

May 18, 2010
Can someone double check the home button hot spot bypass. It doesn't seem to work anymore!

Elganja

Jun 30, 2010

mchlwvr614

May 18, 2010

changt34x

Sep 1, 2013
Can someone double check the home button hot spot bypass. It doesn't seem to work anymore!

I don't use FoxFi (native tether hack, need to see if the framework edit sitll works on the update before I do it), but on the recent FoxFi update a couple months ago they don't use the home button trick anymore. Let FoxFi install the VPN which it briefly connects to when turning hotspot on. I am guessing that it emulates some Verizon provisioning server to let it work. It might still work with this update.

Reactions: Elganja

Elganja

Jun 30, 2010
I don't use FoxFi (native tether hack, need to see if the framework edit sitll works on the update before I do it), but on the recent FoxFi update a couple months ago they don't use the home button trick anymore. Let FoxFi install the VPN which it briefly connects to when turning hotspot on. I am guessing that it emulates some Verizon provisioning server to let it work. It might still work with this update.

FoxFi works like a champ w/ the new update... thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Just to make sure, as before with SuperSU Pro it was [disable Superuser] & [enable Survival mode] with nothing different, right...

that's what I did and it worked just fine

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
would u mind grabbing the update.zip from /cache/fota/ ? would be super helpful lol

I think it's already listed on Page 3:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2562776&page=3

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48346017&postcount=27

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Well, in download mode it showed my status as official with Knox 0x0 so not sure what the difference is in stock recovery. Either way I couldn't get update to take until I odin'd to stock. Keeping root in survival mode didn't bother me since I had used kingo before. Regardless , I now have the update with root so it's all good :)

I'm probably going to end up ODIN back to MJ7 stock to take the update, since everything I've tried so far has not allowed the update to install.

Last edited:

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

I'm probably going to end up ODIN back to MJ7 stock to take the update, since everything I've tried so far has not allowed the update to install.

I couldn't figure out a way either except odin. Took a little longer than if I could have updated normally, but now I am back to my previous configuration except now on the new radios.

tlgem

Dec 22, 2006
Independence Ohio
Wouldnt take till I restored all frozen apps re installed backups of all deleted junk google & amazon etc shut off greenify & deleted clean master
SU wants to keep freezing knox notifier so make sure thats un frozen
After ota install shut off root keeper & started su reboot and still rooted YEA!

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA

can u see if the ota is on verizon upgrade assistant? on computer. if so we need to pull that .tar when its done downloading :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    working on flashable version of mje stock root should have it up soon :)
    How were you able to get Triangle Away to get rid of the "Custom" at the bootloader screen? I've got it installed and it shows Current Status as:

Code:
    Counter: 0
    Binary: Official
    Device: SM-N900V
    System: Modified

I tried turning on the "System modified workaround", but that didn't change anything for me. :(
    Right underneath that status, there's a "Flash reset counter"
    Just click it, accept the warning... etc. Then reboot.
    Worked for me.
    Just did the OTA update. Checked save root on super user. Everything went good and still have root.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I pulled the update.zip and stuck it my Dropbox if anyone wants it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8119920/12-10-13-N3_update.zip
    Just throwing this out there because there's bound to be one of you to take the update and lose root. Don't do it till someone has a root method if one is needed. But this should be common sense.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app