[Q] How can I upgrade my stock rooted rom

Search This thread

podunk

Jul 1, 2010
I have searched the forum and have been overwhelmed with threads that I can't seem to make fit my situation so I apologize if I've overlooked something obvious.

I have an AT&T S4 That came running UCUAMDL. I rooted when I first got it and have not done anything sense. I would like to update the stock rom but I don't want to lose root. At this time I'm not interested in custom roms although I've done it before on my S2. What would be the best option to achieve this aim.

Thank you in advance and again sorry if I missed this somewhere.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I have searched the forum and have been overwhelmed with threads that I can't seem to make fit my situation so I apologize if I've overlooked something obvious.

I have an AT&T S4 That came running UCUAMDL. I rooted when I first got it and have not done anything sense. I would like to update the stock rom but I don't want to lose root. At this time I'm not interested in custom roms although I've done it before on my S2. What would be the best option to achieve this aim.

Your best option would to be to flash a 4.4.2 custom rom. There is no root for the latest, nb1, firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: kpirnie

podunk

Jul 1, 2010
Your best option would to be to flash a 4.4.2 custom rom. There is no root for the latest, nb1, firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Thanks for the quick response. Makes since. So as long as I flash a custom rom I don't have to worry about bootlock or anything, right? What's the closest rom to stock as far as stability & compatibility?

Again, much appreciation.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks for the quick response. Makes since. So as long as I flash a custom rom I don't have to worry about bootlock or anything, right? What's the closest rom to stock as far as stability & compatibility?

Again, much appreciation.

Do you have a custom recovery and are you familiar with Loki?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I don't have my phone right here but I'm fairly certain I'm running TWRP.

Then I would try kangakat which I believe is loki'd. Make a backup in twrp of your current rom before you do anything. If you don't have titanium backup, get it and backup your apps. And make sure you have Google's backup and restore checked, settings, backup& restore.

Sent from my Nexus 5

podunk

Jul 1, 2010
Then I would try kangakat which I believe is loki'd. Make a backup in twrp of your current rom before you do anything. If you don't have titanium backup, get it and backup your apps. And make sure you have Google's backup and restore checked, settings, backup& restore.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yes I have titanium backup and I will be sure to back up everything.

I was not familiar with loki so I did a little reading. Correct me if I'm wrong here but loki is something the rom developer uses to make it so my rom installation will go around the boot loader. I don't need to install anything related to loki I just need to make sure any rom that I chose is "loki'd". Correct? Therefore if my understanding is correct, once i've taken backup precautions, I would copy the loki'd rom to my sd card and flash via TWRP?

Again, I want to thank you for your help.

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Yes I have titanium backup and I will be sure to back up everything.

I was not familiar with loki so I did a little reading. Correct me if I'm wrong here but loki is something the rom developer uses to make it so my rom installation will go around the boot loader. I don't need to install anything related to loki I just need to make sure any rom that I chose is "loki'd". Correct? Therefore if my understanding is correct, once i've taken backup precautions, I would copy the loki'd rom to my sd card and flash via TWRP?

Again, I want to thank you for your help.

Loki is something the ROM developer can use. You either need to make sure the ROM is loki'd, or if you ever want to try something like an I9505 ROM, flash the loki-doki zip file after flashing the ROM (i'm not sure where the link is). Most ROMs in our dev section will have loki included, but i'd keep the loki-doki zip on your SD card just in case.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Loki is something the ROM developer can use. You either need to make sure the ROM is loki'd, or if you ever want to try something like an I9505 ROM, flash the loki-doki zip file after flashing the ROM (i'm not sure where the link is). Most ROMs in our dev section will have loki included, but i'd keep the loki-doki zip on your SD card just in case.

+1. Just make sure you wipe in twrp and flash your rom.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Nexus 5