Microphone issues?

Search This thread

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
I have consistent problems on speakerphone with people saying they can't hear me. I had a bear motion slim case on it but I'm not clear if that is creating any issues. Is there a hidden microphone anywhere that the case may be covering? Or do I need a warranty replacement?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

CitrixLemon

Aug 28, 2010
It's weird, I've had certain people tell me this as well but others can hear me fine. Not sure what's going on, but I know that when I'm talking with someone who has trouble hearing me, if I put in my headphones it solves the problem. Maybe something to do with noise cancellation/echo reduction?

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
Do you have a case on or anything? I only have the issue on speakerphone.

PC Jona

Nov 22, 2011
New York
my girlfriend constantly nags about it when shes on speakerphone that i sound like im far away idk what it is

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
Bump. I tested with skype audio test last night with no issues. I can't figure out if there is really an issue

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
Stop trying to find issues where there isn't. The speaker on this device is horrible, so who would actually persistently talk using it

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
That makes zero sense. Especially since I'm referring to the microphone

jjlean

May 9, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
I get the same complaint. Not sure why. My case doesn't cover the microphone from what I can tell

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

CitrixLemon

Aug 28, 2010
I've been messing around with this more and it seems like the bottom mic on my device is really directional in the sense that it only seems to pick up audible sound when you talk right into it. It's definitely barely picking up anything when the phone is held normally as if for a call. The speakerphone mic seems to work fine.

EDIT: I finally took it back to the store and swapped it out for a new one. It was definitely a hardware issue as my new one sounds much better.

Last edited:

caffeineighted

Jul 16, 2010
Kew Gardens, NY
Same issue here and I'm not using a case.

On speakerphone only, I get complaints every single time that people can't hear me to the point where I have to switch back to handheld.

Noise reduction currently off but it's the same either way. Gonna pop into Tmobile on the way home and see what they say.

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
Anyone else get a warranty replacement?

May 24, 2014
NYC, NY
For those who have a problem with this, I've been dealing with this issue since day 1. It seems to be a T-mobile problem and NOT a problem with the phone itself.

The software is set up as half-duplex and not full-duplex as it should.

That means that if the person on the other end of the line is talking or making noise and you start talking, they're not going to be able to hear you. I've tried this with my phone and a replacement phone. Same thing happened. That means that you will continuously cut in and out.

I'm currently talking to T-mobile and they have a ticket open with me to work with developers on the issue. I have no idea what happened but, as someone who uses speakerphone all the time, it's a MAJOR pain.

If anyone has more experience with this sort of issue, I'd love to hear it.

sindawe

Jan 27, 2008
Hollywood
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hi Guys,
I'm having a problem along the same lines. I moved to Tmo a month or so ago when the S5 came out (ported from Sprint). The first couple of days I had great coverage but intermittently when I talked to someone, they'd tell me it sounded like I was in a tin can. At times it was hollow or echo-y. It kind of stopped, but then started up again. To me, everything sounds perfect. Now, randomly when I talk to someone, sometimes they can hear me without any problem, and sometimes they can barely understand me because of so much feedback coming through (even though I can hear them perfectly).

Tmo gave me a new sim card to use and said to wipe my cache to make sure everything was good. I did that and it worked great for about a day. Now, it's random again. I call land line and it sounds like I'm in a tin can and when they talk it's lots of feedback. I call friend on att and they have loads of feedback when they talk but perfectly fine on my end. I called someone on Tmo and had the HD appear on the call and it sounded like he was talking through a pillow.

It's so weird I can't figure out what's going on, but it's getting really annoying trying to talk to someone and end up calling them multiple times just to see if I can get a clear connection.

Bluetooth in my car seems to work perfectly for each end, though.

I'm on stock rom, rooted w/ philz recovery, and have not updated to the new ANES.
I don't use a case.
Wondering if that would help out.