[HOW-TO]Rogers Updating your radio if "you're already rooted"

Search This thread

enomther

Jun 12, 2009
WARNING: This tutorial is for RogersDream users only! It does not apply to G1/dream users. If your wireless telephone carrier is not Rogers, this tutorial is not for you!

This how-to/tutorial's intent is to provide clear/safe/concise steps for Rogers users to keep root, update to the latest RogersRadio & Build and get your data connection back from Rogers, while keeping your root! Since I do not want to dis-rotate on the various potential setups you may or may not have currently installed, this is a start-to-finish guide. Meaning, this guide will work, so long as you are ALREADY ROOTED! If you're not already rooted, <this apparently is not solved yet, sorry>).

The only other note I'll make is that if you currently already have the latest RogersRadio installed (3.22.26.17), the ENG-1.33.2005-SPL and a testkeys recovery image (Amon_RA's 1.5.2R preferred) you may directly proceed to installing a rooted/custom ROM made specifically for EBI1 device layouts.

In order to determine what your RogersDream currently has installed on it, perform the following.

1) Determine Radio & SPL Version.
- PowerOff your phone.
- Press and Hold your Camera button and tap the power button, this will load the bootloader.
- Read the versions, if you see "RADIO-3.22.26.17" and "HBOOT-1.33.2005", then you have the proper radio/spl, if not, perform the steps in this guide.

2) Determine Recovery Image Version.
- PowerOff your phone.
- Press and Hold the Home button and tap the power button, this will load the recovery image.
- If you see "Build: RA-dream-v1.5.2R" at the bottom of your screen, you have the correct recovery image. If you see a Triangle with an "!" mark or you see nothing at all after the Rogers SPLASH SCREEN, perform the steps in this guide.

General Step Sections

1) Backup your phone and sdcard, just to be safe!
2) Charge your battery fully!
3) Gather/Download the prerequisite files/tools, check the MD5's, unpack and copy to your sdcard.
4) Downgrade your RogersDream to gain root and ensure proper EBI1 setup/layout.
5) Install flashrec to install Amon_RA's 1.5.2R recovery image.
6) Upgrade/Convert your SPL to 1.33.2005 ENG, to ensure root going forward.
7) Install Rogers latest Radio Update, version 3.22.26.17.
8) Confirm everything updated correctly.
9) Install Custom/Rooted ROM w/EBI1 kernel support.

THE GUIDE

Section 1) Backup your phone and sdcard, just to be safe!

a) Seriously do this! Backup whatever you deem necessary on the phone, however you see fit. This guide is not meant to walk you through this process. One suggestion though, if you're currently rooted, perform a nandroid backup in recovery, then backup all of your sdcard's contents to a computer. If you need help with this step, search around. If that doesn't help, then perhaps rooting (or this guide) is not for you, perhaps.

Section 2) Charge your battery fully!

a) Seriously do this! Just make sure you have well over 90% battery charge, just to be 100% safe. Also make sure you're battery is very secure during this process, meaning never pull the battery and if you know that your battery is prone to falling out or something like that, fix it somehow b/c you don't want it falling out during this process, k? Nuf Said.

Section 3) Gather/Download the prerequisite files/tools, check the MD5's, unpack and copy to your sdcard.

a) You're going to need adb setup and functioning for section #5, in order to install flashrec w/out a data connection. You *may* be able to get installed via wifi, by downloading it directly from the internet, but don't count on this!!! I will only cover the adb method in this how-to. So get adb installed on your computer and test/make-sure it functions before following this guide! If you don't get adb tested/installed before going through with this guide, you'll be stuck at section-#5 until you do! If you need help with this step, search around. There is plenty of information on xda for getting adb setup and tested.

b) Download this ZIP file, check it's MD5 checksum and make sure it matches the one in this post! If it matches, great!, unpack the contents and copy them to your phone's sdcard. If it doesn't match, redownload the ZIP file. You will need approxiately 114MB of freespace on your phone's sdcard for the unpacked contents.

Rogers_RootUpdate_SDCARD_files.zip

MD5: 013ed64ca02dbebb5e49a8a8474bebe1

I) Files in the zip that need to be copied to your phone's sdcard are ...
--- DREAIMG.nbh
--- ar152r-rec.img
--- rogers_radio_3.22.26.17_update.zip
--- rogers_spl_1.33.2005_update.zip

c) Download this flashrec.apk, check it's MD5 checksum and make sure it matches! Keep this handy on your computer to install with adb later.

flashrec.apk

MD5: 4634f88b8dfdb2332b447c0d85ff4bb6

Secion 4) Downgrade your RogersDream to gain root and ensure proper EBI1 setup/layout.

a) PowerOff your phone.

b) Press and Hold the Camera button and tap the Power button, this will boot into the bootloader.

c) At this point the bootloader should automagically detect the presence of DREAIMG.nbh on the sdcard and prompt you to "update" your phone with the message, "Do you want to start update?". It should say "<ACTION> Yes" and "<POWER> No". Press the rollerball in (this is the action button) to begin the update.

d) The update process will begin (really a downgrade to version 146733-1.85.631.5) ... it will go through the update process, wait till this process is 100% finished! You will be prompted once it is finished, with a reboot prompt with a similar "<ACTION> YES" and "<POWER> NO" prompt. Go ahead and reboot by pressing the rollerball.

e) You are now downgraded and ready to root.

Section 5) Install flashrec to install Amon_RA's 1.5.2R recovery image.

a) Once your phone is booted up, skip through the setupwizard by hitting the series of skip and next buttons.

b) Go into Settings, Applications and check the box for "Unknown sources", press 'OK' at the prompt.

c) Then press the "Development" button and check the box for "USB debugging".

d) Plug your phone into your computer via the USB cable.

e) Install flashrec.apk via adb with the command "adb install flashrec.apk". You should receive a success message and be able to confirm that "Recovery Flasher" is installed by viewing the phone's apps now.

f) Launch the "Recovery Flasher" app.

g) If there is a URL in the textedit box, remove (backspace it) completely. And enter the following

Code:
/sdcard/ar152r-rec.img

This should change the "Download Recovery Image" button into the "Flash Recovery Image" button. If not, make sure you typed the above properly and have that file on your sdcard.

h) Now press the "Backup Recovery Image", which will backup the original image, once it's complete the "Flash Recovery Image" button will enable itself.

i) Press the "Flash Recovery Image" button, which will install Amon_RA's v1.5.2R recovery image. Let it finish, you now have a rooted recovery image installed. :) Proceed to section-#6.

Section 6) Upgrade/Convert your SPL to 1.33.2005 ENG, to ensure root going forward.

a) PowerOff your phone.

b) Press and Hold the Home button and tap the power button, this will load Amon_RA's recovery image.

c) Use the rollerball to scroll down the "[Alt+F] Flash zip from sdcard" option and press-in on the rollerball.

d) You should see an entry in the list labeled "SDCARD:rogers_spl_1.33.2005_upd", roll the rollerball over this to highlight it and press-in on the rollerball.

e) You will prompted to confirm your selection, ensure the prompt says "SDCARD:rogers_spl_1.33.2005_update.zip" and if so, press the Home button to confirm.

f) It will flash through quickly with a message indicating "Extracting hboot image ..." and then a message saying "Reboot via home+back or menu to complete installation".

g) The rollerball will already have the top option highlighted "[Home+Back] Reboot system now", press in the on the rollerball. You should quickly see "writing hboot image ..." on the bottom ... followed by a quick reboot showing an "HTC" logo ... followed by another reboot which returns to Amon_RA's recovery. Proceed to section-#7.

(SEE POST #3 for Next Steps)

:)

Last edited:

enomther

Jun 12, 2009
Section 7) Install Rogers latest Radio Update, version 3.22.26.17.

a) Use the rollerball to scroll down the "[Alt+F] Flash zip from sdcard" option and press-in on the rollerball.

b) You should see an entry in the list labeled "SDCARD:rogers_radio_3.22.26.27_", roll the rollerball over this to highlight it and press-in on the rollerball.

c) You will prompted to confirm your selection, ensure the prompt says "SDCARD:rogers_radio_3.22.26.27_update.zip" and if so, press the Home button to confirm.

d) It will flash through quickly with a message indicating "Extracting radio image ..." and then a message saying "Reboot via home+back or menu to complete installation".

e) The rollerball will already have the top option highlighted "[Home+Back] Reboot system now", press in the on the rollerball. You should see "writing radio image ..." on the bottom ... followed by a reboot showing an "HTC" logo for a few moments ... followed by another reboot which returns to Amon_RA's recovery. Proceed to section-#8.

Section 8) Confirm everything updated correctly.

a) At this point you should be back in Amon_RA's recovery.

b) Make sure the rollerball is highlighting the top option "[Home+Back] Reboot system now", then Press and Hold the Camera button, then tap/press-in the rollerball.

c) This will reboot you into the bootloader, at which point the Radio and SPL versions will be presented. If all went well you should now have "HBOOT-1.33.2005 (DREA10000)" and "RADIO-3.22.26.17".

Section 9) Install Custom/Rooted ROM w/EBI1 kernel support.

a) You are now ready to flash a custom ROM w/EBI1 support. If you flash my "TheOfficial Rogers v2.0.1 EBI1", it is a mirror image of everything necessary to get your data turned back on from Rogers. I'm also aware that CyanogenMOD has an EBI1 support/patch for RogersDream users, and I "hear" it works too in terms of not shutting off your data plan.

TheOfficial Rogers v2.0.1-EBI1 can be found here ... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=556933 .

Simply download the v2.0.1-EBI1 version of the ROM (at the bottom of POST#1), copy it to your sdcard, boot into recovery, perform a data wipe, flash the ROM and reboot. And you'll be all set.

CyanogenMOD for EBI1 ... reference his wiki here ... http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_Rogers_Dream_EBI1_to_CyanogenMod ... not 100% sure how the full install goes, but skip to "updating cyanogenmod" section and probe his thread for ROM+gapps installation process, etc. ... or visit them on freenode #cyanogenmod, they're always very happy to help.

:)

Last edited:

bt1980

Jun 18, 2009
Is this supposed to work even on Rogers Dream with 1.89.631.1 applied (911 fix)?

I receive the following screen output when trying to flash DREAIMG.nbh:

Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Do you want to reboot device?

enomther

Jun 12, 2009
Is this supposed to work even on Rogers Dream with 1.89.631.1 applied (911 fix)?

I receive the following screen output when trying to flash DREAIMG.nbh:

Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Do you want to reboot device?

Not sure ... I had thought that Haykuro was suggesting it would. Honestly I do not have a personal experience with that update so I can't say for sure. But the message you are receiving would imply that ... what SPL version do you have ?

~enom~

bt1980

Jun 18, 2009
Not sure ... I had thought that Haykuro was suggesting it would. Honestly I do not have a personal experience with that update so I can't say for sure. But the message you are receiving would imply that ... what SPL version do you have ?

~enom~

from my HBOOT:

DREAM PVT 32B SHIP S-ON d
HBOOT-1.33.0010 (DREA21000)
CPLD-4
RADIO-3.22.26.17
June 2 2009,21:33:16

enomther

Jun 12, 2009
from my HBOOT:

CPLD-4
RADIO-3.22.26.17

Yea ... again not sure ... if you reference (like I did) Haykuro's thread ... here ...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=625073

It seemed to me that it was suggesting you could indeed downgrade with that image. The image is one and the same.

EDIT: OK apparently they never found a fix if you're already running the latest non-rooted rogers update. So apparently you need to be rooted already. Sorry 'bout that. I'll update the OP with this information.

~enom~

Last edited:

enomther

Jun 12, 2009
from my HBOOT:

CPLD-4
RADIO-3.22.26.17

I updated the OP with this information. Sorry ... the testing Rogers devices I had access to were already rooted. Didn't take enough care to read that entire thread.

Hopefully a solution will be found soon via GoldCard or the like.

~enom~

AndroidFann

Jan 25, 2010
Upgrade

I just finished my upgrade and I will wait for me data to return. Fingers are crossed!! :)

Also, acore seems to crash quite often. Is this normal?

enomther

Jun 12, 2009
I just finished my upgrade and I will wait for me data to return. Fingers are crossed!! :)

Also, acore seems to crash quite often. Is this normal?

Did you wipe before installing the new ROM ? That can cause the acore FC problem if you didn't.

If so ... wipe again in recovery and if you used Apps2SD ...make sure you ext partition is wiped too.

~enom~

anonymoustom

Aug 10, 2009
Hey, I'm already rooted with CM 1.4's recovery and HBOOT 1.33.2005. Is Amon_Ra and the ENG version of HBOOT really needed or can the Radio just be updated?

Sorry if this has been addressed in other threads already.
Thanks,
Tom

enomther

Jun 12, 2009
Hey, I'm already rooted with CM 1.4's recovery and HBOOT 1.33.2005. Is Amon_Ra and the ENG version of HBOOT really needed or can the Radio just be updated?

Sorry if this has been addressed in other threads already.
Thanks,
Tom

I'm really recommending ALL versions match. Really knowing which ROM your running says it all.

If you're running my TheOfficial Rogers EBI0 ... meaning the "original" ROM ... and not the new EBI1 ROM, then you must update.

But simply as the first post states, if you're running an older radio ... such as 2.22.19.26I ... you must follow all of the steps. It's a complete rebuild to get you to EBI1, to support the newer radio.

~enom~

anonymoustom

Aug 10, 2009
I am currently running your rogers original. I will update. Quick question however, does Amon_Ra's support SwitchROM? I really love that script!

enomther

Jun 12, 2009
I am currently running your rogers original. I will update. Quick question however, does Amon_Ra's support SwitchROM? I really love that script!

Yea it does ... but again ... with moving to an EBI1 setup, your ROM choices will be much more limited now.

I'm only aware of my RogersEBI1 and the CyanogenMOD w/EBI1 kernel patch working. There may be others, I haven't bothered to dig around enough ... but the point is ... limited options, as virtually all of the ROM's in this section are EBI0 ROM's.

~enom~

anonymoustom

Aug 10, 2009
Thanks shadow (I don't like your avatar)

I need the full exchange support that your ROMs offer. I have been very limited in my choices anyways. Good thing you make excellent ROM's!