[Q] GPS performance

Search This thread

Kabimaus

Nov 25, 2008
Kiel
I am wondering about how the GPS performs on the Tegra Note 7 in comparison to Nexus 7 (2013). I read on occasions that people were unhappy about how long it takes for the Tegra Note 7 to obtain a fix and that it more often loses position. Is this an issue that has been resolved in the meantime ? If so, do you have to update the ROM to get it to work well?

Reason why I'm asking is that I'm a pilot and I would like to use it to display maps. I hear the Nexus7 has excellent GPS performenace and does a great job in the cockpit because its brightest screen among all tablets but I'm really into that stylus function and so I was hoping the Tegra Note 7 could compete...

tsbrewers

Mar 19, 2009
I am wondering about how the GPS performs on the Tegra Note 7 in comparison to Nexus 7 (2013). I read on occasions that people were unhappy about how long it takes for the Tegra Note 7 to obtain a fix and that it more often loses position. Is this an issue that has been resolved in the meantime ? If so, do you have to update the ROM to get it to work well?

Reason why I'm asking is that I'm a pilot and I would like to use it to display maps. I hear the Nexus7 has excellent GPS performenace and does a great job in the cockpit because its brightest screen among all tablets but I'm really into that stylus function and so I was hoping the Tegra Note 7 could compete...

While I have never used a Nexus, the GPS on the note is horrible. I literally have never gotten google maps to find me. I have had 3rd party apps like gpstest and similar to work, but I am not kidding when I say it takes 10 minutes out in the wide open to work. As of right now, there are no roms or updates to the tablet that improve the GPS. Some people's work ok, but I think the majority of the people are not happy with their gps.

Side by side with my old Evo3d, the phone takes literally about 3 seconds to find me, the tablet takes 10 minutes if at all.

Brew

Kabimaus

Nov 25, 2008
Kiel
While I have never used a Nexus, the GPS on the note is horrible. I literally have never gotten google maps to find me. I have had 3rd party apps like gpstest and similar to work, but I am not kidding when I say it takes 10 minutes out in the wide open to work. As of right now, there are no roms or updates to the tablet that improve the GPS. Some people's work ok, but I think the majority of the people are not happy with their gps.

Side by side with my old Evo3d, the phone takes literally about 3 seconds to find me, the tablet takes 10 minutes if at all.

Brew

Thanks a lot, that's a very convincing reason not to consider the Tegra Note an option for GPS related applications.:rolleyes:

tsbrewers

Mar 19, 2009
No problem. after I posted that I did spend about 3 hours playing around with it. I did get gps to work better, but still not anywhere near where it should be.

tsbrewers

Mar 19, 2009
I have found it gets a signal very quickly even inside.

Did you go into settings>location and enable high accuracy?

Yup, it is on high accuracy. I did just download a hacked, older version of maps that does actually work, but it still takes about 3 minutes to lock on. But at least it does find lock, unlike the newest version of maps.

It is more the principal of it then anything. I doubt I will ever pull the tablet out to use gps on it since my phone works well with the Igo app and my vehicle has built in gps too, so it isn't the end of the world, but it is still annoying.

Brew

rowan45

Dec 12, 2014
Gps problem on Tegra Note 7

I bought this tablet primarily to use for gps mapping and also have problem. If the tablet is turned on and a mapping app is opened before the screen display is allowed to shut down it finds the location quite quickly unless it is a long distance from its previous location when it can take a good few minutes, maybe 10 to find its location. I think the latter is not uncommon in gps devices. My Garmin is similar.

Once it has started tracking it will keep a gps fix for about an hour before losing it provided the screen display is kept on . If the screen display is shut down by timing out or by closing the dedicated case/ cover the ONLY way I have found to restore a gps fix is to shut down the tab, re-boot and start the app up again before the screen display shuts down, which is quite irritating.

My presumption is that GPS and screen display are linked somewhere in the system but whether this is hardware or software I have no idea.