[Q] Phone loops in Samsung Logo, will not go into recovery!

Search This thread

mrperez816

Sep 22, 2010
My phone kept looping on the loading screen, so i pulled the battery and got in CWM. When i did a data wide so i can restore from a saved file the phone got stuck on wiping.

So i pulled the battery and the phone kept on looping the samsung logo and would not go back to CWM, got inside ODIN and tried the stock one click EL29 ODIN method, everything flashes but gets stuck on data.bin. i re-start the process to only be stuck in the same data.bin step. the ODIN one click pro does not stop responding it just gets stuck.

I tried the ODIN method where i load the stock none rooted tar file in pda mode, this method completely passes but when it restarts it goes back to loop mode.

I tried getting into recovery mode but it loops also (Holding Volume up and power)

I am currently trying a different ODIN oneclick TAR file, maybe this will work, i will update when it finishes.
I do not know what to do next, i have flashed all individual files in ODIN also.

mrperez816

Sep 22, 2010
I did search all over xda and androidcentral, i was in ics 4.0.4. Thanks for the links i left the phone flashing, when i get home i will read those threads. If it all fails ill just go to sprint tech bench and get a refurbish replament.

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
You were on a ics ROM ?
Used a ics kernel to wipe data ?
Were using ROM manager?
Using touch cwm ?
Didn't read OP for the ROM either ?

Almost all ics roms will tell you not to use a ics kernel with cwm that is the cause of the bricks ...

If you can answer yes to any of the above you didn't read enough... There are a dozen threads about bricking phones on here that would have saved your phone....good luck at sprint getting it replaced
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
I did search all over xda and androidcentral, i was in ics 4.0.4. Thanks for the links i left the phone flashing, when i get home i will read those threads. If it all fails ill just go to sprint tech bench and get a refurbish replament.

What were u using to flash ? The OP of every aosp ROM Wether cm9 codename aokp all say to flash the el26 cwm kernel and flash from there and if going back to GB to use a stock tar and then go from there ...

mrperez816

Sep 22, 2010
i had CWM, i was running ics 4.0.4 fine build 30 since it came out. It just started the stupid animation loop and thats when i decided to do a data wipe in CWM. but then i did the ODIN One Click and it gets stuck on data.bin.

I work for Sprint....

This is my first time ever posting on any forums and i have been flashing since the EVO came out, i have flashed ICS to the EVO 4G and back to GB with no issues, this phone is the first to give me such issues.

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
i had CWM, i was running ics 4.0.4 fine build 30 since it came out. It just started the stupid animation loop and thats when i decided to do a data wipe in CWM. but then i did the ODIN One Click and it gets stuck on data.bin.

I work for Sprint....

This is my first time ever posting on any forums and i have been flashing since the EVO came out, i have flashed ICS to the EVO 4G and back to GB with no issues, this phone is the first to give me such issues.

Samsung screwed us by changing some partitions and until we get source to know what they did its best to follow the OP to a T because no one has bricked when using a GB kernel to wipe or flash ....just the ics ones

Yes I had og evo nexus s and 3d ....this one sucks to have to flash the way we do but its the better phone so you do what you have to

mrperez816

Sep 22, 2010
You could have not said it any better lol, i on purpose broke my photon 4g and one of the replacements on the list was the E4GT and got that one sent to me lol, such an amazing phone but issues like this kill me. i did that rouge in odin and it just loops on the android with the box but does not do anything else.

Ill keep trying different things, custom count is at 3 maybe by the time i give up it might be in the 100's because i wont get a replacement till tuesday...

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
You could have not said it any better lol, i on purpose broke my photon 4g and one of the replacements on the list was the E4GT and got that one sent to me lol, such an amazing phone but issues like this kill me. i did that rouge in odin and it just loops on the android with the box but does not do anything else.

Ill keep trying different things, custom count is at 3 maybe by the time i give up it might be in the 100's because i wont get a replacement till tuesday...

The no data tar will completely flash but won't boot on it but you can put it back to stock like that with sfhub el29 no data
Some one in the data thread I gave u did remap the data partition to his Sd card and rigged it .... That could work until you get replaced

killaphatboy

Mar 12, 2011
ponca city, oklahoma
Just odin the el26+cwm kernel and reboot into recovery and wipe and flash like normal. I had the bootloop before snd this worked for me.

EL26+CWM Kernel link: http://db.tt/0QJkleJR

Edit: just read your whole post and it does sound like your bricked. You can try what I stated above, but I don't think it will work.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
i had CWM, i was running ics 4.0.4 fine build 30 since it came out. It just started the stupid animation loop and thats when i decided to do a data wipe in CWM
This is where your /data partition got corrupted. The data wipe in ICS-based CWM.

but then i did the ODIN One Click and it gets stuck on data.bin.
ODIN OneClick is just serving as the messenger to tell you your /data partition is corrupted. You could have used CWM, ODIN, ODIN OneClick, etc. They would all tell you the same thing. The EMMC memory is actually damaged, it isn't just a partition data problem.

It is unfortunate to have the issue with ICS-based kernels and custom recovery, but that is why all the threads stress using GB-based kernels with custom recovery to do your flashing.

Lesson learned. At least you work for Sprint and can probably get things resolved with less hassle.

mrperez816

Sep 22, 2010
Yeah lesson learned. I just did the repair ticket on it and will have one on tuesday.

When the new one comes i will go straight to ICS build 31, and not even mess with anything else.

Its just amazing how we cant figure out a way to format/partition the currupted /data.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Its just amazing how we cant figure out a way to format/partition the currupted /data.
It isn't a format issue.

The hardware emmc memory is damaged.

JTAG bitblasting would have overwrote everything if it was fixable. That is failing in this case.

So basically you are asking why we can't reformat a hard drive that crashed and make it work.

timmetal6669

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 15, 2012
Redlands CA
Moto G7
You are doing what's right. I had to flash the one click Odin 3 times to get out of a boot loop after trying to restore a GB ROM MD5 from a ICS kernel. Learned the hard way. But if you can get to DL mode, you can usually fix it. After the third time i was able to get into standard Android recovery and do a factory data reset. Then flashed the rom again and it booted right up. I was lucky though. Hope it works out.

xDarkStarx27

Jul 9, 2012
Rialto
PHONE WONT BOOT AFTER USING ALPHA 6 ICS(darchstar)

I was using this rom since it came out and haven't had 1 problem. after just using it normally it froze. did a battery pull and tried to reboot but was stuck on logo with the cm9 animation. so i went to recovery mode i had an error. i tried doing a format and froze. so i did another battery pull and now my phone wont boot into recovery or download mode. all i get is a blue led light. any ideas?

cp320703

Apr 7, 2012
Ohio
I was using this rom since it came out and haven't had 1 problem. after just using it normally it froze. did a battery pull and tried to reboot but was stuck on logo with the cm9 animation. so i went to recovery mode i had an error. i tried doing a format and froze. so i did another battery pull and now my phone wont boot into recovery or download mode. all i get is a blue led light. any ideas?

Your /data partition is dead. Formatting/ wiping from ICS recovery is VERY BAD, it makes bricks.... time to use insurance/TEP... sfhubs post on this page applies to you as well...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app